Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202630 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46440 on: October 05, 2021, 05:01:54 pm »

[1] Not a flex, nenjin, just a matter of record. :shrug:
A matter of record that most of you don't have public facing, which is why bringing it up pretty much always leads to, well... this.

The only flex available is quietly or not quietly not stating it outright and pointing to the public stats instead, and all of us have noodly arms compared to jifodus so :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46441 on: October 05, 2021, 05:47:30 pm »

But a flexing it is, the more time you spend here the more bearded alcoholic dwarf you become! I have reduced my height by 15 cm all these years, my beard started to actually grow at all (I just stop shaving as much, oddly it grows with a lot of white hairs for some reason?) and I can drink at least 30% more alcohol than before (something which I have yet to put to test due lack of fundings). So yeah, lets the pickaxe measure start!

I already lost however lol

Metal is really commited to the site uh? He has some really awesome warhammer writes.

And jifodus ??? How in hell did he accomplished that?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:52:38 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46442 on: October 05, 2021, 05:54:50 pm »

I have reduced my height by 15 cm all these years, my beard started to actually grow at all (I just stop shaving as much, oddly it grows with a lot of white hairs for some reason?) and I can drink at least 30% more alcohol than before (something which I have yet to put to test due lack of fundings). So yeah, lets the pickaxe measure start!
You're almost ready to pass entry levels! You still need to acquire is the ability to vomit whenever you are hit by rays of sunlight.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46443 on: October 05, 2021, 07:01:33 pm »

And jifodus ??? How in hell did he accomplished that?
My guess is a long time, or enough of the intervening time, running a script/similar every five minutes. (Having seen two different "Last active" times 5 minutes apart, to the exact second, and not bothering to wait for a third to up the certainty.)

If you don't like drone-trouble, folks, how about Facebook questioning? Anything to be said about that?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46444 on: October 05, 2021, 08:25:11 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:31:04 am by dragdeler »
let

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #46445 on: October 06, 2021, 11:31:20 am »

I hope I get this thread right because there were no rules; assuming politics.

So, there once was a suggestion in my YouTube channel's recommended videos list about an Asian man - quite well off, mind - who quite simply stated that poor people should be poor, and that we should be sure to make them poor.  As an older, mid-twenties man, particularly living in the civilized West, it's come to my attention a lot that poor people are artificially impoverished.  Famous comedian Daniel Tosh once said, "Who is employing you people?" when discussing the unemployment in my country.  In states such as Oregon, there are people paid to pump gas.  It's the only state I know of in the United States of America where people aren't allowed to pump their own gas, or at least the only state where it's common for someone to refuse to let you pump gas.  What's even more unusual, these people actually get tips.

So, 1 out of 50.

In terms of an economy, the primary sector provides the precursor, resources, and material necessary for manufacture and retail, while the secondary sector provides manufactured goods (things that have been put together by - usually - skilled hands).  The tertiary sector is the service sector, and expanded models offer different 'sectors' of the economy provide further divisions for teachers and government officials.  The point is that every person in that model is essentially counted as providing something that's marketable in a capitalist society, but the United States, as of today, is hampered by people who don't actually contribute economic necessity; no one ever steals gas from a pump, and I never see anyone graffiti the handle.

So, while there are people that are paid to, say, contribute nothing, there are also people who aren't paid anything.  Moving into new towns, I can tell you, without references, it takes about two or three weeks to get properly integrated to the point of making regular income, if you're good at it; I know some people can do it sooner; grown men sometimes lose money when they're coming over with families.  There's no real limit to how many people could be integrated into a functioning economy predicated on product, and the service industry is already chockful of people that I find... questionably fascile.

Without giving offense, it's unusual that the quality of life in the country - standards of living - is possibly of less value because there are so many homeless people on the streets.  The government and the working class people of America usually claim it's either because of 'hard times' or because they're 'incapable of holding down a job', which, when expounded on, usually related to their criminal history and poor social standing, refuted behaviors and poor actions done which have lead to them being on the streets.

And while that's definitely true, because it's so common to see homeless people get caught in lies (don't lie, I see it all the time), the destitute are usually less criminal when one exempts the State's action from the worker's class, meaning that the State deliberately keeps people unemployed, destitute, or homeless (or any combination thereof) to its own illegitimate benefit.

Have you ever seen a desperate man hungry?  It's almost always possible to get food in the civilized food, without money, but I do see theft from time to time, and the actions of society usually push culturalisms and old values, arguably biblical, which is entertaining to me because it was the same sentiment shared by Vladimir Putin about Russia with regard to their more liberal citizens.

When you approach liberalism, those expansions on language and choice are artificial at best, just like the sentiments I find from the liberal legislators, where the political agenda of the Democratic Party in the United States of America essentially works for increased marginalization and regulation, and the Republican Party usually pushes for decreased regulation and a filibuster.

All of this means: citizens are labeled, distinguished, and trafficked (legally-speaking, moved for profit) to the benefit of those who also push for anti-discrimination laws, which were popularized by voters of the liberal mindset.  Think fair pay, the Civil Rights amendments, fair employment, equal opportunity.  Yet the application of all of these laws, these policies, and divisions, these extra descriptors and labels for gender, preferences, beliefs, and sexuality, while legitimate in definition, are only a comfort to people who are lucky enough to not be marginalized by the same people that pushed for antidiscrimination policies that heralded those things to begin with.

A wise man once said, "Hatred begins with division."  The moment you distinguish one person from another, you have already introduced the genesis of hatred and oppression.

For instance, Facebook recently had a whistleblower.  Site shut down, Senate, etc.  The claim is that Facebook is bad for youth and that they're committing suicide.

Well, when you think about it, a few years ago, it was 13 Reasons Why making people commit suicide.  Why did it make people commit suicide?  Show drew the hard line at a teenager not being able to talk about her problems.  Facebook is well-known for silencing those people.  I mean, the world changed a lot.  The Trump Campaign saw an increase in suicides among men in the Armed Forces.  It was significantly higher, and the statement from the Administration was that someone failed the men at arms.

Now, again, as a man, Big Tech causing people to commit suicide isn't new, the government turning a blind eye to that isn't partisan, and since Biden got into office, people have already claimed that they were metaphorically 'draining the lifeblood from children'.

What changed between the last administration to this administration besides a political party?  Big Tech silenced conservatives, the sitting president of the last administration claimed that the election was a fraud, people stormed the capitol, and all liberal media outlets turned a blind eye to the conservative silence.  That's well documented, and either side can claim what they want to, but the phenomenon of people committing suicide happened last administration, and it got worse.  Now it's happening to kids, minors.  Forget people being on the streets, the new world actually finds a way to ignore them dying before they graduate.

And the opposite opinion is also presentable: that they can't handle the reality we live in as the world goes faster and faster, as it changes.  Globalism, networking, the internet, smart phones, accelerated education, increased stress and less demand in the job market.  There are so many responsibilities now, people as they naturally are are unfit to adapt to the twenty-first century.

So is it favor?  Is it hatred?  Is it the changes in society today?  Or is it a combination of those things?  American society is literally handling the problem from the cradle.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46446 on: October 06, 2021, 12:38:37 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:30:57 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46447 on: October 06, 2021, 01:02:30 pm »

I came here to ask a simple question and from there it got to almost having a stroke to quitting the internet for a while hahaha... enjoy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46448 on: October 06, 2021, 01:08:53 pm »

The systematic issues related to employment are non-trivial; there are multiple aspects.

Some simple ones:

* You often can't get paid (above the table) without an address, and you often can't get an address without a job.

* You need an address to get a bank account1.

* If you do any kind of economic work for your local community, you can only get money income by trading outside that community, because you aren't allowed to create your own legal tender.  So if you have a community garden, say, and nobody in your community has a "money-paying" job, you can't get paid money for your produce.  This is exacerbated by the fact that "payment in kind" is a rare thing for taxes.

* Zoning laws, mineral rights, and other regulations make it difficult to do things like make productive use of local land. "People" always talk about bootstraps and such, and compound interest, but they forget that compound interest on zero doesn't do anything. You can't even get a business permit without money... so unless someone is going to donate you the money for the permit, it's easy to get in trouble for trying to be productive.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46449 on: October 06, 2021, 01:32:23 pm »

-snip-
Definitely a combination of things. Regarding the deliberate impoverishment of people, that really resonates with me. I have made so much money for other people whilst being denied raises consistently because of "deficits" only to see the surplus I've made go to bonuses for the idiots who caused the deficits; it's all so tiring. Even now myself and a dozen other front line clinical researchers have all been stuck on rolling 1 month long contracts (!!!) that don't even match our job descriptions so that we can all be underpaid always and unemployed at a moment's notice if needs be. There seems to be this inherent contradiction that would be so easy to solve, that I have experienced in every workplace I've been in.

Every single director has agreed with me, that people are most productive when they can provide for themselves. Pursue education. Afford to live. Choose the work they enjoy. Yet when I talk about how staff retention and talent recruitment is linked to pay, they go on about how people just don't want to work anymore.
It's like they're happy to have educated, motivated employees as long as someone else pays for them. The entitlement is so tiring.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46450 on: October 06, 2021, 02:26:06 pm »

Imagine if we all just said 'Ya basta!'

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46451 on: October 06, 2021, 02:30:50 pm »

That would be nice.

Something needs to happen though. I hear more and more people grumbling and mumbling about bringing back the guillotines.

The rich need to start being afraid. Very afraid.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #46452 on: October 06, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »

That would be nice.

Something needs to happen though. I hear more and more people grumbling and mumbling about bringing back the guillotines.

The rich need to start being afraid. Very afraid.

It has me pondering the legalities of owning a guillotine, in Eagleland in this case as we’re in the Ameripol thread. In states which allow open carry especially, what’s to stop you from rolling a guillotine after you? Obstruction of the sidewalk?

(Do note that I do not suggest you actually do this even if it turns out to be legal. US officers are not known to always care about that.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46453 on: October 06, 2021, 03:37:01 pm »

I think we need to test this boundary. I really do. 10-1 you'd get arrested on some kind of bullshit while a guy open carrying an AR-15 laughs at you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46454 on: October 06, 2021, 03:46:57 pm »

Looks like it depends on your state, like so many things.  I was actually under the impression that unconcealable bladed weapons were legal to carry around in most states, but apparently not.  A lot of states restrict things that are too *long*, which surprised me.

It's often legal to own things which aren't legal to carry, which uh.  Sure.  I guess you put it in a box?  Wait but then it's concealed.  I don't know.

So, I have a (blunt-ass mall-style) wakizashi I got as a gift for a favor.  I *think* in NC I can carry it around, unconcealed, as long as I don't "terrify" anybody with it.  (Whereas a secret lethal handgun would be fine if licensed, ha).  Unfortunately I think that implies that a guillotine-on-wheels, despite being a less-than-ideal melee weapon, is probably illegal.  Either based on blade length or because its primary purpose (nowadays) is to instill righteous fear in the unjust.

Which is ironic when it was designed to be painless (in an era of drawing-and-quartering).  Aaaand now I'm thinking about how modern lethal injection is often worse than simple beheading, and I'm sad.  It's all about the optics I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 3566