Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3094 3095 [3096] 3097 3098 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202699 times)

DrudeFiegler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46425 on: October 04, 2021, 09:56:21 am »

That seems overly complex yes, and not at all feasible. Wood rots since the end of the Carboniferous, and it won't stop anytime soon.
Wood still doesn't rot in certain conditions: https://cbmjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1750-0680-3-1

Thanks for the info. Been a long time since I read a scientific article. I quickly read this one, and it seems credible enough for me (even if it's quite a low bar on this subject, tbh). I'll change my opinion on this from "Overly complex and bonker" to "Maybe we can test it?". After all, the article present a theoretical plan and modelization results, but no experiment in situ.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46426 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:31 pm »

1) Pandora papers, another $11 trillion found in the hands of the wealthy few. The doomer inside me says this is going to make as many waves as the last two "bombshell" leaks.

2) Facebook temporarily completely deleted itself from the internet so hard its domain (and instagrams' and whatapp's) wasn't even registered anymore. Just so happened to co-incide with their global head of security defending the company against the whistleblower allegations on CNBC.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46427 on: October 04, 2021, 09:03:03 pm »

That seems overly complex yes, and not at all feasible. Wood rots since the end of the Carboniferous, and it won't stop anytime soon.
Wood still doesn't rot in certain conditions: https://cbmjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1750-0680-3-1

Thanks for the info. Been a long time since I read a scientific article. I quickly read this one, and it seems credible enough for me (even if it's quite a low bar on this subject, tbh). I'll change my opinion on this from "Overly complex and bonker" to "Maybe we can test it?". After all, the article present a theoretical plan and modelization results, but no experiment in situ.
Apparently, seagrass is an even better carbon sink - though at this point we probably need to use anything we can.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46428 on: October 05, 2021, 01:08:08 am »

(somehow this post was in the wrong thread. I blame lack of coffee. that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:15:45 am by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46429 on: October 05, 2021, 02:47:11 am »

...that was intended for the Space Thread? (Where I just posted my pie-in-the-space armchair 'expertise'.)

[Similarly cutting my rambling response. Yet to decide if I'm pasting it over there too.]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:40:46 am by Starver »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46430 on: October 05, 2021, 03:15:08 am »

it was actually.

Odd  I will snippity do.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46431 on: October 05, 2021, 07:28:19 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:31:28 am by dragdeler »
let

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46432 on: October 05, 2021, 12:45:52 pm »

It's the classic read two threads, login to answer second, be relegated to first thread.

Imagine ever logging out.

Also imagine if we held our military leaders responsible for war crimes and actually punished them according to internationally accepted law that the US "opted" out of because we know better or something.

Yes, this is about the recent drone strike. It's disgusting just how hard they tried to keep it covered up after a cursory probe proved their statements to be bald-faced lies.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46433 on: October 05, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »

Imagine ever logging out.

Spoiler: On that point (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46434 on: October 05, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »

The dreaded total time logged in rears its head again!

... mine's still public record, so eh. No one wins against jifo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46435 on: October 05, 2021, 01:31:39 pm »

Total time logged in: 266 days, 5 hours and 52 minutes.

Let the flexing commence.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46436 on: October 05, 2021, 01:42:55 pm »

Ah, now, if this has already been something much bashed over, in the last 13 years or so[1], it is probably one of those things I haven't read. Didn't mean to bring it up again.

Incidentally, the ~20 minutes since posting that post seemed to have added just 10 minutes of logged-in-time. So I'm none the wiser as to the metric involved At least I knew, in my BBS days, that logged-in-time was logged-in time. Well, apart from that day I clocked up 25+ hours on the daily log, somehow. (It probably shouldn't have been more than 20, even in that flush of my reckless youthful exuberance.)

But let me not distract you all from the drone-strike thing, I did not want to do that.

[1] Not a flex, nenjin, just a matter of record. :shrug:

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46437 on: October 05, 2021, 02:42:19 pm »

Damn, mine's only up to 85 days.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46438 on: October 05, 2021, 03:53:28 pm »

381 hahahahahahahaha

thanks mafia subforum
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46439 on: October 05, 2021, 04:53:07 pm »

Only 78 days. I suspect that without internet and electrical issues all these years it would be quite larger.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 3094 3095 [3096] 3097 3098 ... 3566