Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3067 3068 [3069] 3070 3071 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206310 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46020 on: August 18, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »

we could do a lot to solve domestic problems but y'know well over half the US budget just needs to go towards research and engineering ways to bomb brown people on the other side of the planet.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46021 on: August 18, 2021, 10:19:34 pm »

Aim downwards? Gotta be worth a try.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46022 on: August 19, 2021, 02:44:21 am »

I know a gal who got married at 16 because her boyfriend got her pregnant, while she was on the pill. She found out too late because getting check-ups for that sort of thing meant having to sneak away and go to someone in a different district, because everyone knew each other where she lived and rumors would get back to her mother. After all, doctor-patient confidentiality is more just a suggestion than a rule...

By the time she got it confirmed, the fetus was too far along for their abortion laws.

One thing's dropping out of college to raise a kid. It's an extra level of fucked up when you have to quit high school instead.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46023 on: August 19, 2021, 08:18:38 am »

Does your state not allow girls who are married/have children to continue in high school?

I went through high school with a girl who had a baby.  She had to drop back a year and stuggled somewhat but she got through.

Anyway, the likelihood of underage marriage and unwanted pregnancy drops significantly inasmuch as girls are educated.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46024 on: August 19, 2021, 09:24:41 am »

If only she had finished high school so she'd known she shouldn't have gotten pregnant because it would prevent her from finishing high school
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46025 on: August 19, 2021, 09:31:39 am »

A catch 33.

(Yeah the music album)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46026 on: August 19, 2021, 09:32:51 am »

If only she had finished high school so she'd known she shouldn't have gotten pregnant because it would prevent her from finishing high school

Clearly it's not just girls that need educating!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46027 on: August 19, 2021, 12:31:49 pm »

Does your state not allow girls who are married/have children to continue in high school?

I went through high school with a girl who had a baby.  She had to drop back a year and stuggled somewhat but she got through.

Well, I'm happy for that gal who managed to balance the two (or three, with trying to get enough income to support everything); my friend did not. Caring for a baby is an overwhelming undertaking, especially for a child. And it takes priority over schooling.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46028 on: August 19, 2021, 01:29:29 pm »

It is a pity that the family and/or peer network and/or state and/or community of your friend couldn't support her through it.  Even better if reproductive healthcare was properly accessible in the first place.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46029 on: August 19, 2021, 01:40:04 pm »

Well, I'm happy for that gal who managed to balance the two (or three, with trying to get enough income to support everything); my friend did not. Caring for a baby is an overwhelming undertaking, especially for a child. And it takes priority over schooling.

Yeah, I'm going to assume that what with how tiring having a small child is the "education -> no teenage pregnancy" has the causation of that correlation backwards
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46030 on: August 19, 2021, 03:55:18 pm »

It is a pity that the family and/or peer network and/or state and/or community of your friend couldn't support her through it.  Even better if reproductive healthcare was properly accessible in the first place.

She had sex out of wedlock; they were only begrudgingly speaking to her at that point, let alone supporting her. There was some help to be twisted out of "Grandma", but recall that this is the woman she was specifically trying to hide her dreadfully unchristian activities from in the first place. So long as gram-gram could look beyond the necessities of biology and consider the baby as "God's precious little gift" it was alright, but any hardships for the mother were just desserts for being a dirty sinner.

North Carolina certainly sounds like a fun place.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46031 on: August 19, 2021, 05:38:41 pm »

Yeah, I'm going to assume that what with how tiring having a small child is the "education -> no teenage pregnancy" has the causation of that correlation backwards

If we are talking about a girl who is already pregnant or even a mother then it is moot - can't prevent what has already happened.  So why would you even raise the point?  Whether the girl can still get an education or not comes down to other, mainly societal, factors.  Among these is the acceptance, or not, of teen mothers in educational settings.

However if we are talking about potential teen mothers then education very much matters:
https://news.un.org/en/story/2017/07/561242-education-critical-preventing-adolescent-pregnancy-underscores-un-agency
Girls with higher levels of education are less likely to have an early and unintended pregnancy, the United Nations education agency said today, launching a new technical paper with recommendations for the education sector.

“[For] each additional year of education, [there is] a 10 per cent reduction in fertility,” said UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in a news release, announcing the paper.
(parantheses in the cited source - and yep I just grabbed a headliner close to hand, please feel free to do your own research)

Or are you meaning to join in the chorus of "hrr drr it's uselss educating girls when they are just going to get married or pregnant anyways" that we've seen recently in this thread (much to my sorrow).  Shit even if they have to drop out of school there's a benefit in them being able to read to their children, or write someone a letter, or... 

[Apologies to our Ameripol readers we hope to return to our usual shitposting shortly.]

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46032 on: August 19, 2021, 05:47:21 pm »

As always, Kurzegeist is of help. Watch the overpopulation video. It sightly touches the theme of teen pregnancy but it explains it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMo3nZHVrZ4
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46033 on: August 19, 2021, 06:13:16 pm »

Or are you meaning to join in the chorus of "hrr drr it's uselss educating girls when they are just going to get married or pregnant anyways" that we've seen recently in this thread (much to my sorrow).

No, actually, what the fuck. That was your take from all that? Jesus H. Christ. We want girls to have education, the lament is that the Taliban is making empty promises that won't allow them to get a full and complete education. The criticism is about the Taliban, not on girls for the consequences of the Taliban's actions. The girls are victims in this and nobody is saying their situation is useless, just that it's going to get worse.

Hopefully this will clarify and reduce headbutting on what I hope is a fundamental but well-intentioned misunderstanding.

Anywho: Far right terrorist rocks up to the Library of Congress thinking he's at Congress, threatens to blow it up with explosives in the back of his truck. Calls out Joe Biden and requires his resignation, throws single dollar bills out his truck window, and surrenders to cops. Suspected propane tank and potentially a toolbox full of tannerite in the back, but nothing that'd cause serious damage in hindsight.

it's that damn antifa again

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46034 on: August 19, 2021, 06:52:18 pm »

The Taliban is making promises, yes.  We have yet to see if they will turn out to be empty or not.  Immediate signs are that it is business as usual for girls in schools in Afghanistan (oh, except I heard a report of headscarves being handed out).  In other words so far they seem to be coming good on their word but it is still very early days, in the middle of a transitional period, and our understanding of what is happening all over the country is quite limited, so who knows?

As much as their word might be in doubt (apparently) I don't think its a good tactic to refuse to say to the Taliban, yes educating girls, that is a good thing.  (I got called something nasty for saying just this.)  We want to encourage the Taliban to stick to the committment they made, to come good on it if you prefer, and that's not going to come by threatening to bomb them all over again (that hijab bloke said something like this recently... he can be okay sometimes) or refusing to talk to them because they are the incarnation of pure evil (or whatever the latest agitprop has everyone thinking).  Or maybe you can suggest a better way to encourage the Taliban to pursue education for girls?

As to full and complete education there's a severe lack of schools for even basic education in Afghanistan right now.  Many children are missing out - 8 000 more schools needed is a figure I've seen in the media though what that equates to in numbers of children I'm not sure.  (As an aside the other major correlation for teen pregnancy is poverty.)  And that is predominantly an economic problem.  International aid would be one solution but maybe you can think of another?

And yes various people did say specifically that it was useless/irrelevant to educate girls if they are just going to end up married off young.
Pages: 1 ... 3067 3068 [3069] 3070 3071 ... 3566