Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204500 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45915 on: August 14, 2021, 02:11:46 am »

Interesting to consider that Charlie Wilson's War, with its postscript "what (did not) happen next" commentary was released in 2007.

Many of the present-day Taliban would have been in school learning from the "violent schoolbooks filled with militant Islamic teachings" provided on mass (sic) to them by the American government.  To be fair, around 2002 efforts had been started to produce replacement schoolbooks for Afghani children (but not those the Taliban were teaching obviously) which portrayed apples and oranges rather than land mines, tanks and guns as items to count, to pick on a clearly understandable if rather trivial example. 

I mean providing guns, meh, yeah, a few years use generally, but fanning the flames of Islamic fundamentalism that's priceless! (um, I mean, something that lasts for generations).  To be clear I condone neither activity.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45916 on: August 14, 2021, 04:34:20 pm »

Ah, the Taliban, yet another monster the US created and lost control of in the Middle East:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban
The US government covertly provided violent schoolbooks filled with militant Islamic teachings and jihad and images of weapons and soldiers in an effort to inculcate in children anti-Soviet insurgency and hate for foreigners. The Taliban used the American textbooks but scratched out human faces in keeping with strict fundamentalist interpretation. The United States Agency for International Development gave millions of dollars to the University of Nebraska at Omaha in the 1980s to develop and publish the textbooks in local languages.
I've heard for quite a while that the US funded the Taliban, but I didn't know until reading yesterday that the US created and provided them right wing education material. Pretty wild stuff

I watched a 2015 documentary about a few months ago about the US govt funding a right wing Vietnamese organization called VOECRN.
Terror in Little Saigon (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Things for the US to-do list: stop supporting right wing groups. Has had a lot of bad outcomes historically.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45917 on: August 14, 2021, 04:42:24 pm »

"The US created the Taliban" is more than a little oversimplified. They're a splinter group of a splinter group of the factions funded by the US in the 1980s that didn't form until well after US aid stopped. Most of the US-backed groups wound up in control of the country after the Soviet-backed government collapsed - they're the guys that Taliban kicked out, and who came back into power after the Taliban were ousted.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45918 on: August 14, 2021, 06:28:43 pm »

I'm wondering how likely it is that China is going to have their turn on the Afghanistan merry-go-round after we're out. If they do I suspect they might have an easier time in terms of the logistics of putting boots on the ground, but I suspect it's not going to be pleasant for them and it'll probably burn them out heavily.

Everyone loses when it comes to this sort of thing, it seems to me.

EDIT: On the other hand, China has made nice somewhat with them presumably because having US forces in a country that borders China can't possibly be reassuring to them, but I can see things breaking down into a complicated mess once we're fully out of the country.

An alternative is what might happen if the Taliban actually manages to take control over most of the country. If they do, given those tribal distinctiomn and other cultural issues, I suspect they're going to have a Bad Time trying to actually hold onto the country and make anything resembling a functional government out of it.

It'd be a bit poetic if the end result is that the Taliban falls apart basically to the exact same problems that has made it the graveyard of empires, but even if that goes sideways in the most fitting manner possible the human cost is going to be immense.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 06:51:52 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45919 on: August 14, 2021, 07:30:48 pm »

I quickly skimmed some wikipedia articles, and I see what you mean by oversimplified. Yeah the Taliban was formed in 1994.
Some Afghan mujahideen would go on to support the Taliban. While other mujahideen supported what would become the current government, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_mujahideen#Relationship_with_the_Taliban
Max avatar size is 80x80

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45920 on: August 14, 2021, 08:28:22 pm »

Press release by Biden on the current Afghanistan/Kabul situation. If nothing else, if that's actually held true to there's going to be something to note in him actually cashing the check his mouth wrote.
I was the fourth President to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan—two Republicans, two Democrats. I would not, and will not, pass this war onto a fifth.

... doesn't make the civilian population of Afghanistan less omnifucked, mind, but still. Bigger balls in under a year than the entire previous administration, for better or worse :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45921 on: August 14, 2021, 08:35:37 pm »

It's not a good situation. If we stay, things are going to continue on the way they have for the past twenty years. If we leave, other interests are going to take over where we left off and probably add their own brands of fuckery to the mix.

Whoever wins Afghanistan, the Afghans are going to lose.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45922 on: August 14, 2021, 09:23:39 pm »

Looking over some old news, it looks like the Taliban have been advancing steadily for around 5 years now, and were gaining ground even at the high point of the troop surge. In other words, it appears we've been losing anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45923 on: August 15, 2021, 03:16:44 am »

Would also point out that people have been fighting for or through Afghanistan for (technically) thousands of years. Babylon, Macedonia, Genghis Khan, India, the British, the Russians....Afghanistan has been fought over for a significant portion of its history. We're just another foot note.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45924 on: August 15, 2021, 03:33:14 am »

"The US created the Taliban" is more than a little oversimplified.

Yeah, that's fair enough.  It's a pity that you didn't engage with the 'why' of it in response to a demand for other nations to step up to the plate of the Afghanistan problem.  My use of it was in that specific circumstance and indeed surveyed the other countries who contributed in significant amounts to 'fanning the flames of Islamic fundamentalism' (as I put it in a following post) in Afghanistan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45925 on: August 15, 2021, 04:41:06 am »

Where US military intelligence at first thought it would take about 8 months, after the US troops leaving, for the Taliban to reach Kabul, they later re-estimated that to three months.

They were still wrong. Make that (less than) two weeks.

Taliban has now entered the outer neighborhoods of Kabul.

This could become a bloody confrontation between US and NATO evacuation forces and Taliban. Biden has sent an additional 2000 US troops to support the 3000 troops he already sent to evacuate personnel. UK and Germany are sending troops too. They better hurry.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 04:45:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45926 on: August 15, 2021, 05:41:43 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:19:56 am by dragdeler »
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45927 on: August 15, 2021, 11:02:37 am »

Where US military intelligence at first thought it would take about 8 months, after the US troops leaving, for the Taliban to reach Kabul, they later re-estimated that to three months.

They were still wrong. Make that (less than) two weeks.

Taliban has now entered the outer neighborhoods of Kabul.

This could become a bloody confrontation between US and NATO evacuation forces and Taliban. Biden has sent an additional 2000 US troops to support the 3000 troops he already sent to evacuate personnel. UK and Germany are sending troops too. They better hurry.

https://wapo.st/3xRKkmi (should be non-paywalled, I think?) is a good article on how the Taliban has been quietly negotiating surrenders of local forces across the country for over a year now.

Also, the president has already fled the country and the Taliban is negotiating a peaceful capture of Kabul. It's over, pretty much.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45928 on: August 15, 2021, 11:49:15 am »

Yeah. Taliban have captured the presidential palace and president Ghani has left the country.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45929 on: August 15, 2021, 12:38:04 pm »

Does it even count as "capturing?" It sounds like basically the previous government just ceded control.  If that WaPo article is anything to go off - basically the previous government just gave up.

I can't say I care for the politics of the Taliban, but I can say this: if they are willing and able to effect power transfer without combat, which it sounds like they were able to do, intentionally, far in advance - then I'll take some solace in that, even if it's a small consolation.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 3566