Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3057 3058 [3059] 3060 3061 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204591 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45870 on: August 12, 2021, 05:21:34 pm »

If you found out another species called humans something like meatsacks or beef, wouldn’t you consider that derogatory and/or threatening?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45871 on: August 12, 2021, 06:02:25 pm »

Well... I mean... "Calamari" isn't French, and all that interesting and poignant backstory cropped up after they were already called Mon Calamari/Calamarians. As with a lot of Star Wars lore. Lucas wasn't even the one to come up with the name.

Also, nobody cares about the Quarren. Quarranon?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45872 on: August 12, 2021, 06:06:04 pm »

If you found out another species called humans something like meatsacks or beef, wouldn’t you consider that derogatory and/or threatening?
Long pork would probably be the equivalent, and it's something we call ourselves fairly often.

Probably would be fairly threatening, but on the other hand, most things in history that particularly able to back up that sort of threat we've eventually either domesticated or ate, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45873 on: August 12, 2021, 06:53:35 pm »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45874 on: August 12, 2021, 06:56:32 pm »

Not if the word "beef" isn't the word "beef".

There's no reason Calamari in the Star Wars universe is the name of a Italian/Romance octopus dish. They probably just thought it was a funny and/or good-sounding name for the species.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45875 on: August 12, 2021, 06:58:42 pm »

The proper term is meatbag
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45876 on: August 12, 2021, 07:15:01 pm »

I for one would be flattered to have been upgraded from Long Pork to Tall Beef.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45877 on: August 12, 2021, 07:15:58 pm »

Not if the word "beef" isn't the word "beef".

There's no reason Calamari in the Star Wars universe is the name of a Italian/Romance octopus dish. They probably just thought it was a funny and/or good-sounding name for the species.

The rest sounds like Star Wars Extended Universe revisionist nonsense.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45878 on: August 12, 2021, 07:25:01 pm »

Something something weird arguments over how fucked the moon of Endor is or isn't.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45879 on: August 12, 2021, 07:29:38 pm »

Something something weird arguments over how fucked the moon of Endor is or isn't.

It's not like chewbacca lives there or anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45880 on: August 12, 2021, 08:10:58 pm »

Relevant XKCD about names referencing Earth animals in a galaxy far away, a long time ago: https://xkcd.com/890/

And I wouldn't say we call humans "long pork".  Humans contain long pork, in a certain taboo context.  "Meatsack" really is the better example but it's all inherently disrespectful.  It'd be like calling a dog Dogmeat, or a lamb Lamb Chop, or a pig Porky... hm.

Unimportant storylet I liked:  A race of one-eyed beings in Schlock Mercenary live on a world they call Oth, but humans call them "uniocs".  One of the human characters asks their unioc friend about this, and the explanation is "It's better than being called Others."

Later there's a misunderstanding over whether a habitat is Earth-like or Oth-like.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45881 on: August 12, 2021, 09:44:51 pm »

I don't like the recent movements of media to forcibly cut off stupid or dangerous viewpoints as a default action. I'd rather we live in a world where we can simply say "haha that's dumb" and just move on.  However, I realize we're in a world that doesn't have the ability to discern wise from unwise any more - so perhaps it is better that, for a time, we do as much as we can to put the unwise out of easy reach.  Same way you put dangerous chemicals out of reach of children - when they are older they can use it.

I think the classic example of free speech having limits, at least moral and likely legal depending on location, is that it is generally agreed that you are not at liberty to shout "Fire!" in a crowded cinema (debatable if there really is a fire...).  To bring two relevant crtieria out of this, the 'right' to free speech fails when it brings others into harm, and secondly, it is not defensible when in contradiction to facts/reality.  Yes there is some grey around 'harm', a minor slight to an individual's feelings most likely fails the test whereas imminent life-threatening danger to a group does not.  And 'facts' 'reallity' are debatable. The major problem caused by the alt-right is that they have majorly lost contact with what can be said (credibly) to be real or not.  Given that this voice has, for a couple of decades, had extensive air-time amongst but not restricted to the major media it is unsurprising that a section of the population has lost the ability to discern reality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45882 on: August 12, 2021, 09:52:09 pm »

The Right is committing borderline fraud, even if their victims are too deluded to realize it.

And as an example of free speech run amok, some county clerk in Colorado just gave some rando the passwords to the voting machines in her county, and posted them up online. Currently attending Pillow Jackass’s cyber symposium. The Right’s blatant lies are resulting in criminal behavior, and if it keeps going, it’s going to morph into violence. That is most certainly not protected speech.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45883 on: August 12, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »

*deep inhale, followed by very loud scream* Why have facts and reality fallen into gray? How could we let this happen??!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45884 on: August 12, 2021, 10:07:07 pm »

The Right is committing borderline fraud, even if their victims are too deluded to realize it.
I mean, it's not borderline. You occasionally see actual lawsuits go through, there's just so much grifter shit out there it's basically background noise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3057 3058 [3059] 3060 3061 ... 3566