Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3056 3057 [3058] 3059 3060 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204517 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45855 on: August 11, 2021, 07:49:42 pm »

I mean... there may be, 'cause they're not actually that uncommon, but I can't find any specific mention of an attack intended for the 13th. Where you hearing about that?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45856 on: August 11, 2021, 09:27:59 pm »

On an unrelated note, I just remembered. Isn't there supposed to be a new domestic terrorist attack in two days? :v

I hope not. A domestic terrorist attack could kill a lot people. If there is like creditable evidence, you could send that information to some governmental authority so they could prevent the attack.
Max avatar size is 80x80

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45857 on: August 11, 2021, 09:52:00 pm »

It's a Qultist thing, the latest date they've set for when Trump will be re-instated is August 13.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45858 on: August 11, 2021, 10:30:40 pm »

They move the goalposts by about 7 days a week, so I'm not especially worried.  Part of their tragic cult mentality is that Trump is eternally coming back "very soon", eternally.

The constant reality-checks are chalked up to: The Plan includes misinformation to confuse the Deep State.  Every failed prediction is actually a clever ploy.  It's the definition of unfalsifiable.  It's truly pathetic, and sad, and I don't say that as an "own".  It's a deep vulnerability that exists in my own brainmeats as well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45859 on: August 11, 2021, 10:32:01 pm »

TWO WEEKS!
TRUST THE PLAN!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45860 on: August 11, 2021, 10:44:29 pm »

They move the goalposts by about 7 days a week, so I'm not especially worried.  Part of their tragic cult mentality is that Trump is eternally coming back "very soon", eternally.

The constant reality-checks are chalked up to: The Plan includes misinformation to confuse the Deep State.  Every failed prediction is actually a clever ploy.  It's the definition of unfalsifiable.  It's truly pathetic, and sad, and I don't say that as an "own".  It's a deep vulnerability that exists in my own brainmeats as well.
How can one condition away the biases? Is that even possible?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45861 on: August 11, 2021, 11:54:57 pm »

I worry that the bullshitting and excuses they do is probably the most dangerous part of this, rather than being comical or pathetic. Move the goalposts every time and bullshit their way through each month, until a few neo-nazis bumble their way into DC someday when the police have stopped expecting them to actually start anything.

The odds of them getting anywhere are HOPEFULLY lower now that ex-president Duck is actively in a position to hinder a competent response to it, but there's still plenty of people still in the capital who would either welcome it with open arms or otherwise not be trusted with such a task.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45862 on: August 12, 2021, 12:29:59 am »

TWO WEEKS!
TRUST THE PLAN!

more like too weaks
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45863 on: August 12, 2021, 12:39:07 am »

How can one condition away the biases? Is that even possible?
Honestly?  Being part of a religion seems to inoculate people.  I've very much cooled on my fear of religions since this stuff started going rampant. 

A lot of what we're seeing is, I'm convinced, people who pulled free of their preconceptions - and latched onto much worse ones.

I don't want to say that people need faith, and that to live otherwise is exhausting for most people.  I don't want to say that.

Edit: Why can't people just worship the unknown like I do?  Whispered prayers, the occasional tiny offering, all for the things we cannot see.  It satisfies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:42:57 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45864 on: August 12, 2021, 12:57:16 am »

Why can't people just worship the unknown like I do?

The Unknowable Things That Lurk Beyond The Veil Of Three-Dimensional Existence seem like they'd be pretty chill, I gotta say.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45865 on: August 12, 2021, 08:02:31 am »

(Did you mean to the right? /s)
It's a Calamari, because George Lucas is a super-genius at names /s.  They're an aquatic (amphibian?) race who the Rebel Alliance rely on for capital ships.  Something about their ocean nature led them to master the creation of large space vessels, which I actually appreciate as a bit of world universe building.  Naming them after a Japanese dish is just silly though :P
Amphibian, yeah. They were shore dwellers, apparently, and could breath water well enough.

... also it's Mon Calamari, specifically.

Sorry to continue the off-topic posting here but I just want to say that My Little Calamari basically seem like the result of an evolutionary path were a fish went up on land, developed land features like sound and such, then said "fuck this place" and went back into the sea

edit: return to molluk
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45866 on: August 12, 2021, 04:32:27 pm »

So, when Trump was elected and began breaking up government organizations, he was called "disruptor-in-chief", and Obama was called "arms-exporter-in-chief" and "deporter-in-chief".

When people are in a political fight or a physical fight, they create derogatory nicknames for the opponent's decisions/actions/physical_existence (this also includes many adjectives/derogatories like "putz, slant-eyed, black, yellow, lazy, stupid, etc).

The objective is to diminish your opponent and remove empathy or sympathy for them (because, when you are going to do something bad to other people, you do not want your "soldiers" feeling sympathy or empathy for the "enemy"). It is the precursor to the enslavement of your opponent (economic slavery or actual slavery). You call your opponent "rag head", "kike", "zipperhead", and anything else that your "soldiers" are enthusiastic about. Then you get a group of them together and go kill and enslave the opponents.

George Lucas knew this.... his universe is full of the industries of enslavement.

"Mon Calamari was the name given to the planet by Human explorers from the Galactic Republic who first discovered and revealed the world to the rest of the galaxy. The native species referred to the planet as Dac."

So, the name Mon Calamari was a derogatory name (translating from French to something like "my octopus meat", with the implied "I can and will dominate and exploit this species for personal gain, they are my dinner"). The real-life age of European domination included slavers heading down to the coast of Africa or the Americas to capture and enslave "negroes". Same form, same pattern.

The people of the planet of Dac understood what it meant to be enslaved, and they did not fight against the name given to their species, they owned it, just like the real-life trend of saying "my nigger" became something accepted as something only "black people could say to black people". Ownership of the derogatory name was taken. "Geek" is another derogatory word that was "owned" by geeks. Same form, same pattern.

Taking ownership of a derogatory name is an important step of the freeing of enslaved people. It can only happen when the use of physical force blocked or hindered (you know, there is a British law now against slavery so that British navy is going to kill off the slaver ships, or that galactic council sends some jedi-people to disrupt the slaver trade, or in other words, there must be a moment of empathy and sympathy when that "knee against the neck" is considered to be wrong by the general populace).

Lucas understood that there are always *expletive-adjective* people that are attempting to put others into economic or actual slavery, and he understood that it starts with a derogatory name.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45867 on: August 12, 2021, 05:05:27 pm »

Taking ownership of a derogatory name is an important step of the freeing of enslaved people. It can only happen when the use of physical force blocked or hindered (you know, there is a British law now against slavery so that British navy is going to kill off the slaver ships, or that galactic council sends some jedi-people to disrupt the slaver trade, or in other words, there must be a moment of empathy and sympathy when that "knee against the neck" is considered to be wrong by the general populace).

This is insightful: the way to remove power from a derogatory name isn't to ban uses of it but to stop considering it to be derogatory.  When use ban something, you maintain its power.  This is part of why I don't like the concept of silencing people - you give the silenced view a kind of power.  You've got to combat it by making the unwanted concept noise or silly - something that just fades into the background of obscurity.

I don't like the recent movements of media to forcibly cut off stupid or dangerous viewpoints as a default action. I'd rather we live in a world where we can simply say "haha that's dumb" and just move on.  However, I realize we're in a world that doesn't have the ability to discern wise from unwise any more - so perhaps it is better that, for a time, we do as much as we can to put the unwise out of easy reach.  Same way you put dangerous chemicals out of reach of children - when they are older they can use it.

I feel like society has become too childlike.  It's Lord of the Flies though; there are very few adults around to rein it in.  I'm too aware that in many ways, because I'm a product of society, I can't even be sure that I'm not significantly more childlike than I realize.

Even in things where rationality should win out (e.g., vaccines, climate), instead the general populace is driven by emotion.  Just like children.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45868 on: August 12, 2021, 05:08:17 pm »

How do people get driven by things other than emotion? I don’t know what I’m driven by, but I don’t feel emotion very much, so at least it’s not that

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45869 on: August 12, 2021, 05:13:41 pm »

So, when Trump was elected and began breaking up government organizations, he was called "disruptor-in-chief", and Obama was called "arms-exporter-in-chief" and "deporter-in-chief".

When people are in a political fight or a physical fight, they create derogatory nicknames for the opponent's decisions/actions/physical_existence (this also includes many adjectives/derogatories like "putz, slant-eyed, black, yellow, lazy, stupid, etc).

The objective is to diminish your opponent and remove empathy or sympathy for them (because, when you are going to do something bad to other people, you do not want your "soldiers" feeling sympathy or empathy for the "enemy"). It is the precursor to the enslavement of your opponent (economic slavery or actual slavery). You call your opponent "rag head", "kike", "zipperhead", and anything else that your "soldiers" are enthusiastic about. Then you get a group of them together and go kill and enslave the opponents.

George Lucas knew this.... his universe is full of the industries of enslavement.

"Mon Calamari was the name given to the planet by Human explorers from the Galactic Republic who first discovered and revealed the world to the rest of the galaxy. The native species referred to the planet as Dac."

So, the name Mon Calamari was a derogatory name (translating from French to something like "my octopus meat", with the implied "I can and will dominate and exploit this species for personal gain, they are my dinner"). The real-life age of European domination included slavers heading down to the coast of Africa or the Americas to capture and enslave "negroes". Same form, same pattern.

The people of the planet of Dac understood what it meant to be enslaved, and they did not fight against the name given to their species, they owned it, just like the real-life trend of saying "my nigger" became something accepted as something only "black people could say to black people". Ownership of the derogatory name was taken. "Geek" is another derogatory word that was "owned" by geeks. Same form, same pattern.

Lucas understood that there are always *expletive-adjective* people that are attempting to put others into economic or actual slavery, and he understood that it starts with a derogatory name.

...Just because it isn't their own name for themselves doesn't mean it's automatically derogatory.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3056 3057 [3058] 3059 3060 ... 3566