Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204674 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45840 on: August 10, 2021, 07:08:39 pm »

Quickedit: The MyPillow guy is having some sort of rambling podcast or something, he's going to prove that he was in the right all along. In 10m, 8PM EST.
Well, if you're going to inflict on us the knowledge of that happening, hopefully you can follow up on it and give a summary after wading through whatever mess it turns out to be. Damn sure ain't suffering through it myself, though.

I am relying on a friend who is watching it and giving me updates, since I am at work.

A while ago he was shouting at a video of earlier in his own podcast, that he is currently giving, saying that he never said that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45841 on: August 10, 2021, 07:22:18 pm »

Pillowman’s ‘Cyber Symposium’ is a 72 hour affair.
Ain’t nobody got time for that
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45842 on: August 10, 2021, 08:03:48 pm »

He got mad when people were like ok we gonna break for lunch, then the PA system said OK LUNCH IS NOW AVAILABLE IN THE BACK over him when he was talking about that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #45843 on: August 11, 2021, 03:35:24 am »

The design of a safe road vehicle is orthagonal to that of a safe sky vehicle. Trying to marry the two always has (and almost certainly always will, barring something like antigravity being invented) resulted in a vehicle that's bad in one or both environments.
Reminds me of all the attempts to combine marine and terrestial vehicles into one. Despite being a lot more manageable than flying cars, an amphibious car usually ends up being a boat on land and a car on sea.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45844 on: August 11, 2021, 06:28:44 am »

The same reason there's still professional cameras, regular ovens and other things around. You fuse device A nd B and most likely compromises have to be taken for either one or both, so you end up with a second rate A, and/or B device.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45845 on: August 11, 2021, 03:06:40 pm »

Breaking news!:

Fun fact: the last elected governor of NY, Eliot Spitzer, also resigned due to sexual impropriety (patronizing hookers)
Another fun fact: Andrew Cuomo was his Attorney General.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45846 on: August 11, 2021, 05:54:55 pm »

What is that fish humanoid creature in the left of the yellow sign?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45847 on: August 11, 2021, 05:57:06 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45848 on: August 11, 2021, 06:00:23 pm »

(Did you mean to the right? /s)
It's a Calamari, because George Lucas is a super-genius at names /s.  They're an aquatic (amphibian?) race who the Rebel Alliance rely on for capital ships.  Something about their ocean nature led them to master the creation of large space vessels, which I actually appreciate as a bit of world universe building.  Naming them after a Japanese dish is just silly though :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45849 on: August 11, 2021, 06:02:49 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45850 on: August 11, 2021, 06:30:39 pm »

Given that you could s/Darth /in/g far too much and Vader is almost a bilingual joke for Germans, it's not so bad.

And then you realise that Solo had a constant companion and the Skywalkers always seem to be in a rush (often in groundcars!) so inappropriate names too.  :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45851 on: August 11, 2021, 06:35:08 pm »

Not to mention that calamari is squid, not vertebrates, also, how does ocean travel equate to space? Building vehicles for high pressure is very different than building ones for lower pressures. I could be missing something, haven’t seen Star Wars in a while, O remember the time the rebels almost got eaten by a giant space worm, what is its natural prey anyways? The planet seemed barren

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45852 on: August 11, 2021, 07:23:39 pm »

(Asteroid. Probably a whole lot of space-bats, though not sure what the space-bats feed on...)

Non-shallow water-dwellers who have to transition to atmosphere havw to deal with more pressure difference than there is from atmosphere to vacuum. Though it seems they're (now?) perfectly adapted to the common gaseous biome without too much fuss (maybe their 'air suit' is necessary to keep damp, but their heads are unhelmetedand they seem to be airbreathing.

Makes you wonder about the equivalent of vocalisations made by actual fish in actual water, given gills don't have the same necessity to take in and re-expel the breathing medium as lungs, so don't have the natural capability to work by forcing anything through a larynx - even if it could be made to work well enough with the denser fluid. Water-communication seems to be a mix of snaps (cavitating claws), clicks (pulses from a membrane) and whistles (essential 'humming', perhaps with a retained reservoir of air, the effect again sent into the water via a membrane and maybe a buffer organ of incompressible liquid carefully shaped to focus the effect).

Though we're talking of a racs that might well have adapted (perhaps artificially) over a long pre-films history, I don't know much about their EU origin-story, if they have one. There's also Gunguns (clearly amphibious, on a planet with easy and regular access to dry land - they even like their air-pockets/bubbles in their city, so perhaps they're air-biased amphibians rather than mud-skippers with secondary out-of-water capabilities. Kamino is the interesting one. Seemingly the only "land" is the handy facility(/ies) built for interaction with the galaxy that has been mostly made to forget about them for nefarious reasons. They must be entirely aquatic by nature, yet seem to be able to walk around the complex on their tall, clearly bipedal form thar isn't not meant for swimming, but isn't entirely as you'd expect. Maybe something like Dune's levitation modules strapped to their bodies to support them in air?

The more interesting 'race' is of course the Garbage Squid (by whatever name it's officially known) that finds itself well acclimatised to life within the Death Star compactors (possibly a cousin of one of the Dagobah swamp-creatures, or a parallel evolution of some of the similar concepts).

...so, anyway. Ameripol!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45853 on: August 11, 2021, 07:24:18 pm »

(Did you mean to the right? /s)
It's a Calamari, because George Lucas is a super-genius at names /s.  They're an aquatic (amphibian?) race who the Rebel Alliance rely on for capital ships.  Something about their ocean nature led them to master the creation of large space vessels, which I actually appreciate as a bit of world universe building.  Naming them after a Japanese dish is just silly though :P
Amphibian, yeah. They were shore dwellers, apparently, and could breath water well enough.

... also it's Mon Calamari, specifically.
Not to mention that calamari is squid, not vertebrates, also, how does ocean travel equate to space? Building vehicles for high pressure is very different than building ones for lower pressures. I could be missing something, haven’t seen Star Wars in a while, O remember the time the rebels almost got eaten by a giant space worm, what is its natural prey anyways? The planet seemed barren
There were at least two giant space worms in the original trilogy (maybe three, if you count the garbage thing?), one which was an extra-planetary astroid dweller (also sentient and silicon based!) and the other a desert dweller that apparently propagated by spores, with a thirty millennium maturity period. The latter was actually one member of a family of similar species, know for being highly adaptable to their local environments! They ate meat, without being particularly choosy in terms of what kind.

e: the garbage squid was a Dianoga, which apparently were sentient and potentially force sensitive. The garbage one could have been a jedi in hiding!

e2: The garbage squid even straight up had a name. Her name was Omi!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 07:33:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45854 on: August 11, 2021, 07:32:22 pm »

On an unrelated note, I just remembered. Isn't there supposed to be a new domestic terrorist attack in two days? :v
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 3566