Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3054 3055 [3056] 3057 3058 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204627 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45825 on: August 10, 2021, 01:08:00 am »

Here's a fun sarcastic video about it

I'm a bit shook by seeing Hitchens lumped in with Ben Shapiro and Sargon of Akkad

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45826 on: August 10, 2021, 01:30:46 am »

Makes sense. Is it due to being new old sidelined technology primarily? It seems like pressurized tubes would be useful for New Atlantis or something, or SpaceStation13. I could tolerate the cost of a big dumb rollercoaster tube between two cities if it advanced technology useful for that.

To be rather blunt, it's due to not being a very good idea.  Flying cars is often "futuristic", but its also generally a bad idea.  People can't drive in two dimensions very well.

The obvious problem is indeed having a giant, semi-vacuum tube.  How much energy is needed to maintain that vacuum over a railroad out in the open?  What happens of the tube gets a hole or ruptures?  If it does, how easy is it to fix, how quick is it to fix, again versus a normal train?  Trains are pretty efficient, and can carry a shit ton of... shit.  And, most importantly in terms of a business building one, more reliable.

Another issue is often the fact that it isn't a train, its a series of individual pod cars.  Even if the pods go faster, they carry less stuff per trip, and often loading and unloading ends up being roughly the same.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #45827 on: August 10, 2021, 02:04:42 am »

I admit I want to watch the videos but haven't; too lazy to fiddle with youtube. I would say that problems in prototyping are probably to be expected, but other than that I don't have any valid counterarguments to offer other than it sounds like it could be useful in the future. From what I read on the internet years ago, our battery tech was way behind a decade or two ago because the US (and the world) had underfunded battery technology research and application with all the NASA cuts over the decades, since that was the primary source of better battery technology. I probably misremembered and oversimplified it greatly, but space and aquatic construction would be my argument for why it may have value someday if that is viable and doesn't sound crazy.

Here is an semi-interesting question:

Is Amtrak a government agency?

https://www.quora.com/Is-Amtrak-a-U-S-government-agency?share=1

I don't know anything about the legitimacy of that link, the contents of which are spoilered below, it just seemed a decent search result and it seems to coincide with what I already read in caselaw.

Some years ago I was reading contract caselaw and I learned that Amtrak was at the time of my reading a few years ago considered a federal agency in at least one of the federal circuit courts while remaining ambiguous in others. I think Gorsuch wrote the opinion while a circuit judge IRC; I think IIRC he found it was an agency under that definition due to the amount of financial support the government provided to it; but that was only applicable in that Circuit if I understand it correctly. I don't know if statutes were re-written since then or if other precedents were set since.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know anything about Amtrak other than that, so I don't know if it's working well or not, or how the bill changes things so I don't offer an opinion on that.

To reply to the previous post, it wouldn't make sense to replace slow freight with these even if they worked unless they were more cost efficient at some point in the future. I think they are more intended for fast passenger transport or for high price express freight or such. Also anyone who says humans can't fly cars in 3d hasn't seen me pilot a Reaver in Planetside 2... and to be fair I'd probably be a lot more careful if it was a real flying car.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:08:45 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45828 on: August 10, 2021, 04:25:53 am »

To be rather blunt, it's due to not being a very good idea.  Flying cars is often "futuristic", but its also generally a bad idea.  People can't drive in two dimensions very well.
You don't like one dimension, you don't like three dimensions, two dimensions is suboptimal. I'm not sure where to go from there... ;)

I'm also minded of this parody/paradoxical/practical treatment of the problem (find something that does more than merely hint at the plotor find your own way of watching it/clips of it, I suppose?}. Yeah, quite a lot of Applied Phlebotinum, both to make it work and go wrong (and, further yet, to be 'solved'), but a rollicking ride for all involved!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45829 on: August 10, 2021, 11:21:51 am »

Reckon there would be a lot of auto-pilot built into flying cars, while on fly mode with designated pathways.  Everything is mapped out while connected to some central system to manage all the flying cars.  Especially in cities and bigger towns.

Realistically, flying cars would also dual as normal ground cars.  Otherwise, you may as well have flying trains/public transportation.

Flying cars can be less restricted outside of heavy population/congestion areas, but also still gotta have 'roads' for them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45830 on: August 10, 2021, 03:30:04 pm »

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation today roughly a week after a damning report from the AG on his handsy tendencies on staffers (sexual harassment claims from 11 women, possibly more to follow) led to the party turning on him. This spares him from the pretty much guaranteed impeachment that was in planning stages.

Once considered a beacon of leadership during the height of pandemic just merely a year ago, he is leaving the office in disgrace. What a fall from grace.
Good riddance   
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45831 on: August 10, 2021, 03:35:57 pm »

Once considered a beacon of leadership during the height of pandemic just merely a year ago

Wait what? Wasn't he continuously derided as handling it terribly in that state?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45832 on: August 10, 2021, 03:36:53 pm »

The only reason to do flying cars is if you really, really hate people and want to get rid of them in great carload lots. Autopilot has limitations. Not nearly so many issues for sky vehicles as for road vehicles, but they're still there. This isn't an issue for regular aircraft, because handling procedures ensure that there's never two planes in close proximity to one another in the air. Flying cars would have to have traffic densities rivaling current highways in order to be of any use.

The design of a safe road vehicle is orthagonal to that of a safe sky vehicle. Trying to marry the two always has (and almost certainly always will, barring something like antigravity being invented) resulted in a vehicle that's bad in one or both environments.

Most importantly, the aftermath of two 1-ton road vehicles colliding is pretty bad. It is a Sunday picnic compared to what could happen if two 1-ton sky vehicles collided. They're not going to just sit there and hover politely where they crashed - both vehicles are going to impact the ground in an uncontrolled manner somewhere, and that somewhere is all too likely to be something that you don't want a ton of wreckage crashing into - apartment buildings, schools, stadiums, etc.

I'm not going to even think about "sky rage".

Flying cars are a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45833 on: August 10, 2021, 03:45:22 pm »

Wait what? Wasn't he continuously derided as handling it terribly in that state?
Well he was hailed for a time...
Then news came out regarding the nursing homes and it was all down hill for him from there

Edit: In a historic twist, the next gov will be Kathy Hochul, the first female gov of NY ever.
Fun fact: the last elected governor of NY, Eliot Spitzer, also resigned due to sexual impropriety (patronizing hookers) 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:57:20 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45834 on: August 10, 2021, 04:20:19 pm »

Once considered a beacon of leadership during the height of pandemic just merely a year ago

I've heard a number of people describe him similarly to how Giuliani was described post-9/11 - 'voice of stability' and all that funk. Cuomo did do a good PR campaign, at least for a while.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45835 on: August 10, 2021, 05:40:53 pm »

He claimed to be doing really good, but he was doing really bad, and then he blamed Trump for his doing really bad and everyone was like THE TRUMP. IT IS THE TRUMP. ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS A SHILL OF THAT WHICH IS THE TRUMP. And so, Cuomo was hailed as great.

But then within like a month people in NY started telling everyone outside of NY about all the ways he was specifically doing really bad and he was like oh no, now everyone knows, I could not have predicted this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45836 on: August 10, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation today roughly a week after a damning report from the AG on his handsy tendencies on staffers (sexual harassment claims from 11 women, possibly more to follow) led to the party turning on him. This spares him from the pretty much guaranteed impeachment that was in planning stages.

Once considered a beacon of leadership during the height of pandemic just merely a year ago, he is leaving the office in disgrace. What a fall from grace.
Good riddance

The allegations of him and his attempts to use the pandemic to kill off poor and non-white people came before people considering him a beacon of leadership. People have been justifying this behavior the entire time.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45837 on: August 10, 2021, 06:48:32 pm »

Good riddance

The allegations of him and his attempts to use the pandemic to kill off poor and non-white people came before people considering him a beacon of leadership. People have been justifying this behavior the entire time.

I got the idea that the media portrayed him as the hero we deserve against Donald who is the Trump, but then it turned out all of the people who actually lived in NY and saw what he was doing had been hating his guts for quite awhile.

At least, being from NJ, that's the impression I got from my friends and family up there. All secondhand info from my perspective, of course.

Quickedit: The MyPillow guy is having some sort of rambling podcast or something, he's going to prove that he was in the right all along. In 10m, 8PM EST.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 06:50:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45838 on: August 10, 2021, 06:56:12 pm »

Fun fact: the last elected governor of NY, Eliot Spitzer, also resigned due to sexual impropriety (patronizing hookers)
Indeed. If there's one thing a rugby player hates, it's being condescended to.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45839 on: August 10, 2021, 06:59:45 pm »

Quickedit: The MyPillow guy is having some sort of rambling podcast or something, he's going to prove that he was in the right all along. In 10m, 8PM EST.
Well, if you're going to inflict on us the knowledge of that happening, hopefully you can follow up on it and give a summary after wading through whatever mess it turns out to be. Damn sure ain't suffering through it myself, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3054 3055 [3056] 3057 3058 ... 3566