Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3036 3037 [3038] 3039 3040 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210281 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45555 on: July 13, 2021, 08:08:30 am »

(I may be wrong, but it seems the latest Splicing of messages has undone this thread's New-link disjointedness that the The Great (Dis)Order purge seems to have created. At least for me, for now, for several visits since the event. Where's that wood to knock on?)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45556 on: July 13, 2021, 08:14:51 am »

(I may be wrong, but it seems the latest Splicing of messages has undone this thread's New-link disjointedness that the The Great (Dis)Order purge seems to have created. At least for me, for now, for several visits since the event. Where's that wood to knock on?)

Oh my god you're right! Little did we know, but Damiac was actually the savior the forum needed, and his banning forgave the sins of our past.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #45557 on: July 13, 2021, 08:21:22 am »

Wikipedia has 2009 swine flu and the Spanish flu both listed as zoonotic. Even if the risk of shady meat markets is not impacted, if the domestic animal vector is dealt with by switching over to lab-made meat, that would be a tremendous success for humanity.

Oh my god you're right! Little did we know, but Damiac was actually the savior the forum needed, and his banning forgave the sins of our past.
Please, do not disrespect the message of grisha5.
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45558 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:15 am »

Bit belatedly, now that I think about it the malformed protein concern (i.e: prion diseases developing in a tissue that, unlike mad cow disease, offers no neurological symptoms to filter out afflicted samples because there is no neurology to affect, and no brain to examine post-mortem) is probably the biggest one to look out for.

That, and the possibility that quality control might have trouble keeping foodborne illnesses from contamination in check, because keeping a growing culture of muscle cells clean without killing the whole thing is going to be hard, and a growing culture of muscle cells PLUS all the necessary tissues and cell specialization to give it a functional immune system would be more complicated and expensive.

Definitely not arguments against at least trying to implement it as a solution, but I would be reasonably wary of synthetic meat for a good while simply because the food industry already gets away with SO MUCH bullshit, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't ever put much thought into how to prevent issues like that until the FDA forces them to after enough people die.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45559 on: July 13, 2021, 09:58:36 am »

Just read an interesting article about "the government should help out low-income families because gasoline prices are rising."

This is a good example of political discussion, systematic issues, and the balance of genuinely help groups that are disadvantaged without unintended side effects.

On one hand, it feels odd to simply raise people's SNAP benefits or whatever because market forces are increasing prices.  On the other hand, it's not the fault of those sensitive to energy prices that energy prices have increased, and it's desirable to have a good "shock insurance" kind of system.

I think I'm starting to lean toward, rather than these special reactive policies and "stimulus packages", we should work forward a more systematic, proactive approach.  I don't know what that approach would be yet (something like strategic petroleum reserve comes to mind in this instance - why aren't we using it?), but it's a conversation starter.

EDIT: Yeah at least with "animal grown" meat, if the animal is sick you have a more obvious way of noticing. If your "muscle in a jar" is sick... how do you know? It's not going to sneeze or be lethargic or whatever.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45560 on: July 13, 2021, 10:02:21 am »

I don't think there's any sensible Christian opposition to artificial meat (I'm not a *professional* Biblical scholar or anything, but I think I probably know my way around it better than many). You'd probably see more people who are Christians rejecting it (in the US anyway) but there'd probably be suspiciously strong correlation with also distrusting science and living in the South.

This is more or less it.  The Christians I know opposing things like this also think that Bill Gates is secretly twisting every technological innovation into some New World Order Government Control Scheme, and to echo a comment elsewhere in the thread, would claim that not only is it pure poison but it's a way for the United Nations to ban Real Meat so that farmers go out of business and everyone becomes dependent on Lab Meat grown by NWO scientists.

It's always Bill Gates for some reason.  Considering how many things they say that seem to come from Alex Jones, did Alex Jones start the Bill Gates bogeyman thing or was that someone else?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45561 on: July 13, 2021, 10:10:53 am »

Seriously, outright banning traditional animal farms in favor of lab meat would have massive amounts of pushback.  Further galvanizing people who-like-it-just-fine to dig in and oppose.  (And adding another political hotpoint issue that’ll perpetuate the life of big animal farms(and their associated slaughterhouses) for another few decades like coal.)

We won’t see any appetite to change things till lab meat becomes normal day to day food in the public conscious.

I personally think it is stupid to force the issue when economically viable(and tasty) lab meat will eventually capitalism out animal meat based on merits.  You know our favorite fast food joints will try this lab meat out once the price is right.  From there, it’ll take off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45562 on: July 13, 2021, 10:13:35 am »

They're gonna have to wrap lab-meat up in some fancy and market tested name for it to succeed
call it Beyond Beyond Meat or something like that
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45563 on: July 13, 2021, 10:27:59 am »

It's the pure essence of meat so just call it Essential Meat.

Waiting for food preparers to take it up and start pushing it is probably the only thing that's really going to work though, yes.  I'm sure that's helped even Beyond Meat take off, especially once burger places started selling their versions of it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45564 on: July 13, 2021, 10:50:11 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/09/us/abortion-law-regulations-texas.html

I can foresee this ending in tragedy, and a lot of fraud.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45565 on: July 13, 2021, 11:03:18 am »

It is going to end up thrown out by the courts. Sanctioned vigilanteism isn't going to pass scrutiny, period.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #45566 on: July 13, 2021, 11:22:04 am »

If you're talking about Covid-19, wasn't that from wild bats that were hunted for meat or something?
Like Voliol said, covid isn't the first time, and diseases don't make the jump on the eating phase, but on the husbandry phase. Covid is on everyone's minds right now because it hit well, but we have been dancing around close calls for a century, our four million deaths right now could be considered lucky, all in all
In a time before time, I had a name.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #45567 on: July 13, 2021, 11:23:18 am »

Courts or no courts, encouraging vigilantes will create them. Abortion clinics need armed security.

Isn't influenza always zoonotic?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45568 on: July 13, 2021, 11:41:05 am »

They're gonna have to wrap lab-meat up in some fancy and market tested name for it to succeed
call it Beyond Beyond Meat or something like that

I am partial to Bio-VitaSteak myself...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #45569 on: July 13, 2021, 11:50:55 am »

It is going to end up thrown out by the courts. Sanctioned vigilanteism isn't going to pass scrutiny, period.
Enforcement through civil litigation does have precedent though.

The KKK Act is the most prominent one I can think of.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3036 3037 [3038] 3039 3040 ... 3566