Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210630 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45510 on: July 12, 2021, 06:15:32 pm »

Yeah, my post isn't exactly in response to anyone. Toad, could you at least PM me the contents of my essay so I can hold onto it?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45511 on: July 12, 2021, 06:17:14 pm »

Given that the planet is warming, I wonder if it’ll be possible to select for variants of crops that use less water/ lose less water to transpiration. Is there a thread for this sort of thing? This is more of a general thing that would apply to the world in general

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #45512 on: July 12, 2021, 06:21:18 pm »

There's a few genetic engineering projects out there that aim to grow crops off of seawater, the idea being the sea has plenty of free real estate if you can overcome that obstacle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45513 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:19 pm »

Given that the planet is warming, I wonder if it’ll be possible to select for variants of crops that use less water/ lose less water to transpiration. Is there a thread for this sort of thing? This is more of a general thing that would apply to the world in general
Probably the science thread that's loitering around somewhere or another. As MSH notes, there's projects aiming to get sea water viable crops; there's also efforts to expand already existing ones (kelp/sea weed, some coastal grains), and varied ones to develop low water/etc. foodstuffs. Also desalination techniques and technologies continue getting money and effort sunk into them, of course.

Hasn't had much in the way of dividends, yet, as far as I'm aware, but folks are working on it. Let's just hope we don't end up dealing with runaway oceanic acidification or deoxygenation, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45514 on: July 12, 2021, 06:59:17 pm »

I honestly think lab-grown/artificial meat is the next big thing.  Meat needs more water (and food) than plants do, after all.  It's on the cusp of proper mass production, and gets cheaper every year.

I do expect the religious to reject it, though, as not being "natural" enough.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45515 on: July 12, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »

I don’t see a problem with artificial meat. Then again I’m not religious anymore. I used to be a Christian but I don’t think there’s anything in the Bible against fake meat. I don’t know a whole lot about other religions regrettably. Theoretically lab grown meat would need less food and water than an animal, plus we could grow just the parts we eat and not have to worry about skinning/gutting/deboning carcasses

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #45516 on: July 12, 2021, 07:16:26 pm »

Yeah, my post isn't exactly in response to anyone. Toad, could you at least PM me the contents of my essay so I can hold onto it?

Sure, yeah, I'll get it together soon.  Same for anybody else that wants one of their own posts.  (PM me if so - I might not see your reply here.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:20:02 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45517 on: July 12, 2021, 07:19:09 pm »

There's nothing in Christianity that would prohibit eating fake meat, but from personal experience I can tell you that many reject the idea.  I don't know how many consider it a sin, so maybe they just consider it unnatural and bad because it's "made in a lab" out of "chemicals" instead of knowing anything about it.

I haven't tried any lab grown meat, but I've started eating plant-based meat replacements recently since it's just now getting reasonably affordable, and I plan to eat it more and more as it continues to improve in quality and price.  It's definitely not the same as the real thing, but it's good in its own way that I could live with not having kill animals anymore for it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45518 on: July 12, 2021, 07:20:00 pm »

I honestly think lab-grown/artificial meat is the next big thing.  Meat needs more water (and food) than plants do, after all.  It's on the cusp of proper mass production, and gets cheaper every year.

I do expect the religious to reject it, though, as not being "natural" enough.

Knowing the intense hypocrisy of Modern Christians, they'd loudly denounce it and fight it at every turn, but also crave it and have secret meat growing labs under the Vatican that give the Pope his divine power.

"Now this is the REAL flesh of Christ!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45519 on: July 12, 2021, 07:29:03 pm »

Unfortunately, if global warming keeps going the way it is, the wet-bulb zone near the equator will grow. Deserts will grow. Sea levels will rise and destroy tons of cropland and houses, and this will cause mass migration to actual livable areas combined with a lack of food production. It will likely turn into a bloodbath.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45520 on: July 12, 2021, 07:34:14 pm »

I don’t see a problem with artificial meat. Then again I’m not religious anymore. I used to be a Christian but I don’t think there’s anything in the Bible against fake meat. I don’t know a whole lot about other religions regrettably. Theoretically lab grown meat would need less food and water than an animal, plus we could grow just the parts we eat and not have to worry about skinning/gutting/deboning carcasses

My fear with artificial meat is the same with most other artificial things: what it's actually made of. The lowest quality meat is still somewhere around 30% actual meat. The worst cuts, possibly expired, but still meat.

When the only objective is that it has the consistency and flavor of meat and has protein, well, I'm sure all kinds of things can meet that bar. Reminds me of a story once told to me by a guy who works in chemical manufacturing. One of the older artificial sweetners, I forget which one, was a byproduct of the rubber vulcanization process. Yet another byproduct of that process was later used by Subway to keep their bread firm and make it last longer.

No one actually knows what this shit does in the human body after decades of consuming it. The business cycle in the US doesn't allow for that kind of research and proofing before we approve it for human consumption. We just want to know if it will, more or less, instantly kill people. If it just shaves 10 to 20 years off someone's life ehhhhhh.....they were probably the bad ones anyways right?

So I'm increasingly leery of food items where the primary cook is a PHD Chemist.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45521 on: July 12, 2021, 07:38:07 pm »

My fear with artificial meat is the same with most other artificial things: what it's actually made of. The lowest quality meat is still somewhere around 30% actual meat. The worst cuts, possibly expired, but still meat.

When the only objective is that it has the consistency and flavor of meat and has protein, well, I'm sure all kinds of things can meet that bar. Reminds me of a story once told to me by a guy who works in chemical manufacturing. One of the older artificial sweetners, I forget which one, was a byproduct of the rubber vulcanization process. Yet another byproduct of that process was later used by Subway to keep their bread firm and make it last longer.

No one actually knows what this shit does in the human body after decades of consuming it. The business cycle in the US doesn't allow for that kind of research and proofing before we approve it for human consumption. We just want to know if it will, more or less, instantly kill people. If it just shaves 10 to 20 years off someone's life ehhhhhh.....they were probably the bad ones anyways right?

So I'm increasingly leery of food items where the primary cook is a PHD Chemist.

I assume that meat vats aren't going to be synthesized from chemicals. It's going to be muscle and fat cells that can grow without limit, and they just keep feeding it nutrients and cutting off chunks as it grows.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:09:26 pm by Micro102 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45522 on: July 12, 2021, 07:42:06 pm »

I think you mean where the primary cook is a Capitalist. A Chemist might have some pride in his job, and actually strive to deliver the highest quality product possible. His boss however, will whip him until the end result produces the highest profit to cost ratio, at the cost of quality and safety alike.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45523 on: July 12, 2021, 07:46:06 pm »

I assume that meat vats aren't going to be synthesized from chemicals. It's going to muscle and fat cells that can grow without limit, and they just keep feeding it nutrients and cutting off chunks as it grows.

After watching enough NileRed, I'm fairly sure you can synthesize anything out of anything :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45524 on: July 12, 2021, 07:55:14 pm »

After watching enough NileRed, I'm fairly sure you can synthesize anything out of anything :P

anything

except love ._.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 ... 3566