Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3031 3032 [3033] 3034 3035 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210832 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45480 on: June 25, 2021, 07:35:47 am »

Affirmative action? In my Florida? It's more likely than you think!

In other news, the President whispered creepily into his mic several times yesterday.
This first sentence makes no sense?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45481 on: June 25, 2021, 07:56:40 am »

Are you ready for Republicans being shitty again?

Florida signed a law requiring public schools to survey students and staff about their political views, insinuating that funding may be cut if the views are not diverse enough (read: conservative), while specifying no protections against abuse.

That's pretty cool and good, targeting education like that.

>Schools become more conservative to get more funding

>Conservatives don't fund public schools anyways
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45482 on: June 25, 2021, 08:19:50 am »

>Schools become more conservative to get more funding

>Conservatives don't fund public schools anyways

Huh? I'm fiscally conservative and socially middle-of-the-road by most surveys.  I'm pretty sure I do fund public schools almost exclusively through property taxes.  If there's a way to avoid funding public schools, I don't know how to do it.  I also wouldn't avoid it even if I could - I'm a strong advocate for general, universal education*.

*This is about making access to education universal. The discussions about the content of that education is a different story.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45483 on: June 25, 2021, 08:22:34 am »

He's referring to things like how Brownback repeatedly cut public school funding, to play for his "Make Kansas desirable for big businesses!!" tax cuts for businesses and the wealthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/politics/education-is-newest-target-of-kansas-budget-cuts.html

Education is always high on the list of things to get cut back when republican governors and state legislators rule the roost.

Kansas is not unique in this kind of mess either.  We just did the full-scale experiment that Republicans have been wanting to do nationally, and it had disastrous results.  Turns out, giving the wealthy and big businesses lots of tax breaks, just incentivizes them to buy back stocks, and then funnel money into offshore accounts, rather than the intended stimulus to the economy, since those parties are **NOT AT ALL INTERESTED IN INVESTMENT BACK INTO THE LOCAL ECONOMY**.

If done on a national scale, the big international corporations (like Walmart and pals), would just offshore their holdings en-mass into foreign tax havens, like Ireland.

This is why the correct response is tax breaks for the low and middle class, who spend all their money domestically-- while taxing the big corporations and the wealthy-- forcing them to have to re-appropriate some of those funds they have ratholed back.

Doing so would have ACTUAL stimulus to the economy, because people would be buying things with the money that would otherwise have gone to taxes.  The state coffers should not suffer the shortfall, because the big businesses are on the hook for the bill.

The great lie, is that taxcuts for the wealthy and large businesses produce economic booms.  Look at my state, with Brownback's experiment--- It clearly demonstrates how it is a lie.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:28:59 am by wierd »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45484 on: June 25, 2021, 08:25:55 am »

Welp, time to go back to private schools as the main source of education. They atleast stand a chance of getting adequately funded.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45485 on: June 25, 2021, 08:59:25 am »

If I could get private education for what I pay in property tax, sure. Problem is private education costs a ridiculous amount: $1000/month per child is not atypical*, for 9 months of the year - so a family of 2 will easily run $18k or more; it also hurts that in most jurisdictions, there is no tax deduction or tax credit for spending on education.  This is why education is one of those things that is well-suited for public funding.

Also thanks for clarifying on the "conservatives don't fund education" topic - I forget that typically that's shorthand for "conservative political leadership", rather than "individuals who have a conservative leaning."

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45486 on: June 25, 2021, 10:38:42 am »

It's a quota on ideology instead of race.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45487 on: June 25, 2021, 12:52:43 pm »

It's a quota on ideology instead of race.

Is that at all a concern? It's not like you can discern someone's ideology or political affiliations just from looking at their face. It's hard to imagine that discrimination on this basis is significant or provable.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45488 on: June 25, 2021, 01:01:04 pm »

Pretty sure conservatives aren't being abused or maligned for being conservatives in educational sectors anyways; the ideology just tends not to survive in the presence of education and diversity.

But sure, liken it to people who suffer actual injustices for who they are, find victimhood in the the evil that is ~higher education~. That tax money can be better suited to private catholic schools where students won't develop such offensive ideas like diversity or not being poor.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45489 on: June 25, 2021, 05:28:30 pm »

ayy lmao report released. Inconclusive.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #45490 on: June 25, 2021, 05:52:52 pm »

There are way too many news stories today. Can everyone just stop doing anything for the next 12 hours or so while I catch up?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45491 on: June 26, 2021, 08:01:13 am »

I was you all along, wasn't it, Flying Teasets!?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45492 on: June 26, 2021, 08:06:06 am »

Is that at all a concern? It's not like you can discern someone's ideology or political affiliations just from looking at their face. It's hard to imagine that discrimination on this basis is significant or provable.

Apparently it is to Florida politicians.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45493 on: June 26, 2021, 09:17:11 am »

I was you all along, wasn't it, Flying Teasets!?
Nah, you want the other nation or non-governmental organization; our fleet's not that big.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45494 on: June 26, 2021, 09:43:59 am »

6 months for the pentagon to go= we don’t know shit! GIVE MONEY PLS   :D :D :D. Also we found a deflating ballon, much like this 9 page report! kthanxbye
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 3031 3032 [3033] 3034 3035 ... 3566