Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3028 3029 [3030] 3031 3032 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210943 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45435 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:15 am »

I mean, listening to the recording, it really does sound like he's trying to impress her with all his posturing. Just, y'know... In an incredibly stupid way.

Also, I love the whole "Uh, yeah, that wasn't me and I have no idea about any of it, but that unknown person saying those things definitely didn't consent to being recorded (even though this is obviously a smear job against me), and I'm so convinced of this that I'm going to file a lawsuit for unlawful recording on behalf of this person who is not me"

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45436 on: June 18, 2021, 11:19:13 am »

To be honest, I never heard of Juneteenth until this year.  And I spent over 10 years of my life living in South Carolina (mid 80's to mid 90's), which you'd think would be a place where such a thing would be prominent, if such a thing were prominent.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45437 on: June 18, 2021, 11:20:00 am »

It's a Catch-22, but this is 2021, so I don't expect that small detail to prevent him doing or saying anything else.

To be honest, I never heard of Juneteenth until this year.  And I spent over 10 years of my life living in South Carolina (mid 80's to mid 90's), which you'd think would be a place where such a thing would be prominent, if such a thing were prominent.

I also had never heard of this until last week.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45438 on: June 18, 2021, 12:49:10 pm »

I'd heard of it! It was a thing maybe... a decade ago? Fell out of the spotlight at some point.

Seems like a cool holiday to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45439 on: June 18, 2021, 01:23:53 pm »

Juneteenth rings a far away bell but I've never made notice of it until right here in this thread. But then again I am not from either of the Carolinas
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45440 on: June 18, 2021, 02:30:34 pm »

I probably heard about it (enough to know what it was, and therefore to remember it as more than a cultural reference that I largely let fly over myheaad) over the last few years with increasing news emerging about the various travaills of those who more fervently would celebrate it.

Being white-British, it just doubly hasn't been a direct thing in my life. The 4th of July has as much relevence as quatorze juillet. Mardi Gras is too far away, as (to a lesser constraint) is the Notting Hill Carnival, to worry about when it might be (though the latter reportedly isn't going to be, for the second year in a row, an attraction that draws a couple of million participants over a handful of days in August).

But enjoy your Juneteenth, those for whom it is relevent. I'm not sure the official recognition is going to help (maybe, if a statutory holiday, it might help with otherwise incompatible working hours, but I think you can't even say that for sure given the employment regulations or lack of them), but hopefully the good feeling behind it helps.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45441 on: June 18, 2021, 11:06:05 pm »

I have an ex from Kansas who told me about it (white dude).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45442 on: June 18, 2021, 11:46:48 pm »

Infrastructure reform: I sleep

Voter suppression (especially of minorities): I sleep

Fun day off on the 18th: REAL SHIT
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45443 on: June 19, 2021, 12:01:12 am »

A typical day in the life of a Republican lawmaker, it seems.

Don't forget:

President engages in Quid Pro Quo with a foreign government: I Sleep
President incites violence against the legislature: I sleep (after I escape to the panic room, and then sleep through all followup of the event, including the second impeachment)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45444 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:07 am »

19th
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45445 on: June 19, 2021, 04:47:41 am »

Depends on what day it falls on and the workplace, practically. Weekend (federal) holidays tend to be observed work wise on the day before or after (depending on if it's saturday or sunday), since many gov't workplaces are closed weekends. Juneteenth (also idle props to one of the easiest holiday names to remember the date of) is on saturday this year, so a good number of the places that scrambled to observe it would have had their day off yesterday.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45446 on: June 19, 2021, 11:49:15 am »

Depends on what day it falls on and the workplace, practically. Weekend (federal) holidays tend to be observed work wise on the day before or after (depending on if it's saturday or sunday), since many gov't workplaces are closed weekends. Juneteenth (also idle props to one of the easiest holiday names to remember the date of) is on saturday this year, so a good number of the places that scrambled to observe it would have had their day off yesterday.
Except so many of the people that would celebrate this holiday are still so economically oppressed that they can only work jobs that still have to be performed no matter what. Federal holidays are for the privileged. (Same as with those that want to make election day a federal holiday - they don't think about the fact that so many of those that they want to give the opportunity to vote still have to work those days.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45447 on: June 19, 2021, 11:55:46 am »

(also idle props to one of the easiest holiday names to remember the date of)

I mean Juneteenth could mean anything from june 13th to june 19th.  Which I guess is the "point" because not all slaves got the news at the same time, but still.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45448 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:40 pm »

I mean, sorta', but it has a literal two letter difference from nineteenth. There's not exactly many federal holidays that explicit as to what date it's celebrated on :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45449 on: June 19, 2021, 04:26:03 pm »

Except so many of the people that would celebrate this holiday are still so economically oppressed that they can only work jobs that still have to be performed no matter what. Federal holidays are for the privileged. (Same as with those that want to make election day a federal holiday - they don't think about the fact that so many of those that they want to give the opportunity to vote still have to work those days.)

I literally just had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday. Cynically: I wonder if they holidized Juneteenth in order to specifically avoid giving election day off.

I think we should get election day off, too. And all the feast days! :I

I'm actually not being sarcastic about the first part. The second part is about the reminder that in the medieval period, Europeans apparently got a lot more rest days than we do. You know: the peasants.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 3028 3029 [3030] 3031 3032 ... 3566