Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3012 3013 [3014] 3015 3016 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212383 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45195 on: May 20, 2021, 03:16:09 pm »

Is, uhm, is it not rather derogatory to use transgender people (or the implied presence as a boogeyman) as bait to make a statement about an asinine law? Especially since the 'bathroom' issue with transgender people is largely built on cultural bigotry?

Your experience at work does not correlate particularly well to public spaces or venues, which is typically where the normal segregation of men's/women's bathrooms exists, so as to create a safer space. Transgender people in their, ugh, desired bathroom do not violate that space.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45196 on: May 20, 2021, 03:16:20 pm »

I am all for unisex toilets, as an option besides standard gender toilets.
If only because there's plenty of women that do not feel comfortable (or safe even) in a toilet that also accomodates men, and to a lesser degree, vice versa. Note that this only applies to toilet rooms which can accomodate more than 1 person at the same time.

In a place that only has single stall toilets, go ahead, and make them all unisex.

I am a man that pees sitting down because I detest cleaning a dirty toilet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45197 on: May 20, 2021, 03:17:01 pm »

Cant say about women not peeing while sitting. All my old ladies desire to sit to pee.

It is the old men that want to stay and spray.

EVERY.

DAMN.

TIME.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45198 on: May 20, 2021, 03:20:19 pm »

See None's behavior prior, and his/her reaction to being called out for specific behavior.  While true they are blissfully unaware that I have been the butt of that kind of shit so many times I could fucking puke, which is why I shut them down so fucking hard, they still acted like a Karen over it.

Right, yes, I escalated in aggressive behavior. "I am not your enemy," right?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45199 on: May 20, 2021, 03:22:07 pm »

To wit ^

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45200 on: May 20, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »

Please stop taking a piss at each other this forum is not a unisex toilet
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45201 on: May 20, 2021, 03:26:39 pm »

I would be glad to, assuming None will stop with the strawmen, about dogwhistles he/she perceives, but are not actually there.

(I respond to such things similarly to how a transwoman responds to being called sir, if that helps. I am sick to death of being mislabeled, and then argued PAST.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45202 on: May 20, 2021, 03:28:08 pm »

I will add that nonbinary people want unisex toilets, not "gender-affirming" toilets.
Uh, yeah, I know, I just quoted one saying that, namely, wierd, who just identified as genderqueer like two posts ago and wants unisex toilets.

and

*sigh*

Many young/middle-aged cis women actually don't sit down while using public toilets. Man, this is the crazy misinformation thread today ...
I think everyone knows that most women don't literally sit down like you would in a chair in public toilets, but to men, that's still a sitting position compared to standing up. That said, even if most women stood, that wouldn't be contradictory to what wierd said, which was that some men regard any sitting position as "for girls", not that all girls or any girls do it. The two statements are effectively logically unrelated.

What I'm saying is, I don't know what your point with either of these posts was and I feel like you're getting annoyed and checking out of the conversation. Which is fine, to be sure, you don't have to involve yourself in it, but it does leave me wondering why you're... still involving yourself in it, just in this kind of low-effort sort of snipey way.

Transgender people in their, ugh, desired bathroom do not violate that space.
This "ugh" goes a long way to establishing that whole "Karen" thing, man. It is, literally, a desire, a preference, to use one bathroom over another. Good reasons for a desire, or no reasons at all, don't make the word itself wrong. "Desired" is in no way pejorative or invalidating unless you view it that way.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45203 on: May 20, 2021, 03:30:33 pm »

I'll just leave this here until I find some medieval history memes relevant to this thread...

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45204 on: May 20, 2021, 03:32:19 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:52:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45205 on: May 20, 2021, 03:34:30 pm »

Hey Drags--

You dont have to go get the mop every 10 minutes, because Mr Boomerstein happens to have a prostate the size of an orange, and has frequent urgency.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45206 on: May 20, 2021, 03:34:54 pm »

Dogwhistles? Mislabeling?

I say 'desired' like that because I'm not sure what the appropriate way to say 'correct' in the context since you could either infer it's 'correct for their gender' or 'correct for their assigned sex,' and the topic is clearly important enough that it's being legislated so 'desire' doesn't seem to cut it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45207 on: May 20, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »

The real issue with laws like this is that regardless of how legal or enforceable they are, the purpose is to suppress trans and gender non-conforming people. Therefore, the laws should be removed. And the fact that people are (trying to?) Implement literal genital inspections because muh sports just shows how destructive the "red meat for the base" laws like this are.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45208 on: May 20, 2021, 03:37:10 pm »

and the topic is clearly important enough that it's being legislated so 'desire' doesn't seem to cut it.
Why not though? Many desires are important, and many desires are legislated over.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45209 on: May 20, 2021, 03:38:01 pm »

I am of the opinion that gendered bathrooms in general are an outmoded concept, and unisex bathrooms should be the norm everywhere.
I agree. It seems that women are mainly the ones who insist on separation; this is funny to me, since women's bathrooms are objectively worse.

However, unisex restrooms provide neither "hypothetically assumed to be safer" (which women's restrooms aren't really, but are perceived to be) nor "gender-affirming", which are the relevant desiderata from the perspective of the discussion.
I think the misunderstanding is that a bathroom doesn't need to be actively gender-affirming.  The... discomfort/humiliation comes from having to use a wrong one.  I think most trans people would happily use a unisex toilet (particularly a single-occupancy one of course).

And it's not so much that women's bathrooms are inherently safer, but that it's often dangerous to enter a bathroom with the wrong gender.  A bearded transman in a women's bathroom causes a scene too - just imagine the upset Karens reacting.  I would assume that feminine people forced to use men's bathrooms face more outright violence, but I don't know that and women can be brutal too.

There have been several cases here in NC where our bathroom bill led to androgynous-looking cis people getting harassed by other cis people.  The whole thing is bonkers.  The TN bill is literally harmful, besides being laughable.
Edit: (Oh and it's 100% virtue signalling, too.  People just want to pee in peace but this is forcing it to be a whole *issue*.  TN legislature is Karens)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:40:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3012 3013 [3014] 3015 3016 ... 3566