Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2997 2998 [2999] 3000 3001 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219683 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44970 on: May 10, 2021, 01:31:42 pm »

If other people are so interested in your childs genitals that explosives are called for, you probably should avoid those people. Is weird.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44971 on: May 10, 2021, 01:38:47 pm »

At least this one didn't cause a massive wildfire or end up involving deaths. Makes it an improvement over some of the ones that have happened :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44972 on: May 10, 2021, 01:43:01 pm »

If other people are so interested in your childs genitals that explosives are called for, you probably should avoid those people. Is weird.
Yeah reminder that these are genital reveal parties, and I say they should be called as such :P  If that makes anyone uncomfortable, it's only because it's more accurate (perhaps they'd prefer "sex reveal parties").

Call me conservative but I think this practice (which appeared only a few years ago) is despicable and should be abolished!  Clearly a symptom of some sort of societal rot, or whatever conservatives say.  Reject modernity embrace giving infants some dang privacy.

I wonder if the number of explosive accidents with this nonsense is related to the mindset necessary to use your baby's groin to whine about social progress
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44973 on: May 10, 2021, 01:49:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:32:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44974 on: May 10, 2021, 02:57:11 pm »

Gender reveal parties are code to me for: I don't need to know you. Amazing how far and above people go to be up their own asses about producing offspring.

I also suspect there's a strong correlation between Gender Reveal Parties and "There are only two genders" type of thinking.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:00:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44975 on: May 10, 2021, 03:46:34 pm »

It is an achievement to maintain a long term relationship, establish the financial and domestic security needed to support a family, and then conceive and carry a child to term. A party is appropriate, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with views on gender roles. My wife and I got super excited every time we learned anything new about our baby, much less something as significant as male/female. If he has different views on his identity later in life, that's ok too.

Having a child with another person in a stable environment is often the culmination of years upon years of work. I think it's a bit too trendy right now to shit on people who are proud of themselves for making that happen and want to share it with their friends/family.

That having been said... going through all of that and then ACTING LIKE A FUCKING FRAT CHILD IDIOT by employing GODDAM EXPLOSIVES and risking your life, the life of your family, the life of your new child, and life and livelihood of your neighbors... what the fuck? Why? The problem isn't people being over-excited about their new kid, it's them SETTING FIRE TO HALF THE STATE because they have the critical thinking skills of a koala.

Just have a goddam BBQ. Be excited about being a parent. Be excited to learn things about your new baby. Eat some hamburgers. Don't set fire to your neighborhood, you ridiculous jackass.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44976 on: May 10, 2021, 04:09:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:40:09 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44977 on: May 10, 2021, 04:11:31 pm »

Never mind, I totally misunderstood what was being said
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:39:53 pm by Maximum Spin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44978 on: May 10, 2021, 04:25:58 pm »

That's what I was trying to say, but clearly something's confused...  It's obviously a genital reveal party because it's based on the bits (the baby could even be intersex and people might not know, just see the genitals on ultrasound).

It's also a sex reveal party because sex is... while not entirely binary, usually evident from an ultrasound.  It's gender that's about conforming to cultural stereotypes.  So it's a sex reveal or more accurately a genital reveal, but not a gender reveal.

I hope I explained what I was trying to say, better!

Edit: No worries, happy it was nothing more than a misunderstanding! :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:02:20 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44979 on: May 10, 2021, 04:35:44 pm »

I will admit that 1. I literally thought gender reveal parties were a new trans festivity at first and 2. I thought ACAB stood for "Assigned Cop at Birth."

I have a lot of sympathy for the mother who invented the practice, who, after many miscarriages, wanted to celebrate getting a fetus to the point where the sex could be confirmed on ultrasound. "I don't know if I'll get a baby shower, but this is progress. We'll celebrate this." She's subsequently apologized because she had no idea that this issue was going to be a massive sore spot for trans people.

Point is -- she's done her learning, I don't think we can really ask for more.

I will say however that as someone concerned about the integrity of the family, it's kind of perverse for the heterosexual community to force their lifestyle on others :P We don't need to know about your sex lives, people! You made a personal choice, keep it in the bedroom.

(I don't actually mean this at all. I'm being angry and sarcastic because my Catholic family has been hurting my feelings since I was like, 5, will anyone ever love me oh god)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44980 on: May 10, 2021, 04:39:19 pm »

That's what I was trying to say, but clearly something's confused...  It's obviously a genital reveal party because it's based on the bits (the baby could even be intersex and people might not know, just see the genitals on ultrasound).

It's also a sex reveal party because sex is... while not entirely binary, usually evident from an ultrasound.  It's gender that's about conforming to cultural stereotypes.  So it's a sex reveal or more accurately a genital reveal, but not a gender reveal.

I hope I explained what I was trying to say, better!
Oh. I realise now that I misread your statement and thought you said "gender". So I thought you were arguing the OPPOSITE of what you were arguing. Okay, wow, never mind. Please forgive me with the understanding that I had just woken up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44981 on: May 10, 2021, 04:49:48 pm »

Just have a goddam BBQ. Be excited about being a parent. Be excited to learn things about your new baby. Eat some hamburgers. Don't set fire to your neighborhood, you ridiculous jackass.

This is the more charitable way to say what I meant.

I still think it's stupid and bourgy and self-serving to have a gender reveal party. Just another money spending ritual people are trying to make a cultural expectation. Your engagement party, your bachelor/bachelorette party. Your wedding party. Your honeymoon. Gender reveal. Baby shower. "Nesting party." FFS. How self-absorbed can people be?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #44982 on: May 10, 2021, 04:54:33 pm »

Who are these people using bombs to party? Like, don't they know how dangerous common fireworks and firecrackers can be? And it isn't even unmediated recklessness caused by too much drinking...

2. I thought ACAB stood for "Assigned Cop at Birth."
It's an understandable mistake to make when some of the cop discourse (i.e. "blue lives matter") supposes exactly that. Ugh.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44983 on: May 10, 2021, 04:59:43 pm »

This is the more charitable way to say what I meant.

I still think it's stupid and bourgy and self-serving to have a gender reveal party. Just another money spending ritual people are trying to make a cultural expectation. Your engagement party, your bachelor/bachelorette party. Your wedding party. Your honeymoon. Gender reveal. Baby shower. "Nesting party." FFS. How self-absorbed can people be?
This seems to be a general-purpose argument against celebrating things. Many people just like sharing their lives with others and throwing parties, and that's okay. Calling it a money-spending ritual implies that there is no purpose other than conspicuous consumption, and while it may understandably seem that way to you (a person who, presumably, does not like sharing your life with others), that's not at all how the people doing them see it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44984 on: May 10, 2021, 05:01:19 pm »

I get the need for celebrations. Celebrating every step of the process does seem like conspicuous consumption though. And, as I said, self-absorbed.

Especially when you're blowing shit up as part of it.
Pages: 1 ... 2997 2998 [2999] 3000 3001 ... 3566