Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2993 2994 [2995] 2996 2997 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219967 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44910 on: April 26, 2021, 01:12:10 pm »

Grits is a food, yes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44911 on: April 26, 2021, 01:27:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:30:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44912 on: April 26, 2021, 08:00:08 pm »

Grits are awesome food.  You've also not lived until you've made grits in the evening, put them in a bread pan and refrigerated overnight to become semisolid, then slice it up and fry it in the morning with a slice of cheese... fried grits are divine.

Surviving through tough times isn't what I mean by grit by the way. Grit in this sense is being able to withstand criticism, deal with people that tease you, etc. It's knowing your self-worth comes from something other than the world's opinions. It's not about just bending over to the authorities, but it's about being resolute and choosing to thrive in a harsh environment, rather than having a "defeatist" mentality.  It's taking action yourself, rather than screaming for someone else to take action on your behalf.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44913 on: April 26, 2021, 08:09:54 pm »

Or in other words, not being a boomer :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44914 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:32 pm »

Yeah I love grits a lot.
Grits are a hard byproduct of processing corn, originally considered inedible (particularly by Europeans like my ancestors).  Once heavily boiled they become a bland carb, pleasant with oil/butter.  They're great for mixing into things - typically meat, though they pair well with strong-tasting vegetables too.

I have a bit of a thing about them.  They represent, for me, "eating every part of the kill" but without even the kill.  I was told that they were invented during the Civil War as an act of desperation, but it looks like that was just another lie of the Confederate legacy in my Southern public education.  People had been eating them long before Sherman started marching, just not the kind of people my ancestors would consider people.

It's pretty appropriate as a symbol of white-person desperation food.  It's not like they taste bad, or are hard to cook.  Just boil them, they have very little taste and good texture.  I still love them a lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44915 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:46 pm »

Surviving through tough times isn't what I mean by grit by the way. Grit in this sense is being able to withstand criticism, deal with people that tease you, etc. It's knowing your self-worth comes from something other than the world's opinions. It's not about just bending over to the authorities, but it's about being resolute and choosing to thrive in a harsh environment, rather than having a "defeatist" mentality.  It's taking action yourself, rather than screaming for someone else to take action on your behalf.

Rugged individualism instead of collective action against systemic abuses, eh ... sounds great ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44916 on: April 26, 2021, 09:41:55 pm »

deal with people that tease you

Oh you mean like how teachers punished me more for defending myself, over the people actually trying to hurt me?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44917 on: April 27, 2021, 03:53:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:30:07 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44918 on: April 27, 2021, 07:57:52 am »

None of those things are "grit" though.  Maybe a better way to say it is "not taking things personally," even though that is not all it is.  It's part of being tough, but in the sense of being resilient, not in the sense of braggadocio.

Grit is not "just standing there and taking a beating" or "standing idle and not worrying about injustice."

Everyone today takes everything, even systematic injustice, so personally.

Anyway that will be all for a while - I'm going to be offline for a few days dealing with the family matters.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44919 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:39 am »

Folks have largely always taken things pretty damn personally, though, up to and including straight up murdering or maiming people over insults with official state sanction (duelling and similar shit). It's not some sort of unique trend of the modern era. Awareness of all the crap going on and/or the fact it's not actually someone else's problem is signal boosting it on several fronts, but the base signal's not changed much.

... anyway, statements about grit is mostly just horseshit from older people trying to piss on the accomplishments and troubles of younger generations, from what I've seen, with a hefty dose of rose-tinted evaluation of a past they've forgotten parts of, if they actually lived it at all. Tis bupkis, in practice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44920 on: April 27, 2021, 10:20:38 am »

You know, I've spent my entire life being called weak by my parents, and somehow it never seemed to translate into resolving the suffering I was experiencing.

Personally, I think the Boomer problem is that they're traumatized and cope with the trauma by telling their kids that pain is all in their imaginations. My parents don't have any real responses to difficult situations other than "pretend the bad thing isn't happening and stick it out" or "quit." These responses work sometimes but for the most part they aren't actually very constructive or resilient. Their responses to social situations they don't like (gay people) is "bully it until it goes away."

I understand, McTraveller, that you're not actually advocating for sticking your head in the sand. But I feel like people who aren't members of any marginalized population (which, I'm making an assumption based on what I remember of what you've said) criticizing people who are trying to get free maybe should be more resilient in the face of social change.

This is turning into an incoherent, strident mess but when people tell people not to take oppression personally, the only thing I can think about is how people used to play down rape jokes. Then it was found that the people telling the jokes thought that people who laughed at 'em supported rape in reality, the action. Now we have fewer rape jokes. Used to just be a standard consequence of being in public and being seen to be a woman around young men.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44921 on: April 28, 2021, 02:28:12 am »

What would the ration amount even be, though, if we had one? What's the hypothetical limit here?

Probably not even enough to make beer out of smh...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(video link for those who want to hear the actual words)

Now, I'm only coming up with three potential explanations for this comment...

• He goofed
  • He's talking about beer without yeast (which technically is not a plant)
  • 5D chess

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #44922 on: April 28, 2021, 09:21:56 am »

That was, uh, that's a lot worse than I thought it'd be, most of the chatter I'd read was that it it's a segue based on having plant-based meals, but that's stupid if you consider the inverse. I'm also trying to grapple with what's wrong about grilled brussels sprouts and how they're a satirical affront to the fourth of July.

It's an affront to me that addressing climate comes up only as a GDP issue (he's only dealing with the facts here, people, and then goes straight into calling Biden's plan a Soviet one. Facts, people!) and as a platform for this numpty to whine about how China isn't doing their part.

Appeals to emotion, fear-mongering, whataboutism, meat beer. Cool stuff.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44923 on: April 28, 2021, 09:24:36 am »

meat beer. Cool stuff.
Ahem, we only consume cave fungus based liquors around this here parts!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44924 on: April 28, 2021, 09:41:28 am »

what's wrong about grilled brussels sprouts
Nothing more wrong than any other form of brussel sprouts.

HTH, HAND.
Pages: 1 ... 2993 2994 [2995] 2996 2997 ... 3566