Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2985 2986 [2987] 2988 2989 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221433 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44790 on: April 13, 2021, 07:31:04 am »

They can legit just climb over it. You can't stop surveilling that spot just because a wall got put in it. It doesn't force people anywhere.
The legal traffic is forced to cross the border elsewhere. The surveillance software can be used with the presumption that there is no legal traffic in that area. The surveillance software can be automated to a higher degree.

If it’s legal traffic it’s already crossing at border crossings anyway, by definition.

Also, automated surveillance still requires a human to look at it and go “yes this is something that requires action” when it triggers.

That doesn’t always work.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44791 on: April 13, 2021, 08:16:55 am »

And 'legal crossing points' are notoriously jam-packed with those trying to legitimately cross (but just northwards..?). There are some who would 'illegally' transit for legally-sanctioned purposes, confusing the issue and adding opportunities.

Obviously that's not by design, merely a matter of logistics, which is why the monorail plan helps spread the load away from the border, perhaps making use of existing airport facilities to facilitate travel-checks well away from the linear border and its limited scope for bottlenecking crossing-points... You know it makes sense!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44792 on: April 13, 2021, 09:28:44 am »

what about us brain-dead slobs?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44793 on: April 13, 2021, 10:22:52 am »

If it’s legal traffic it’s already crossing at border crossings anyway, by definition.
All registered businesses are legal by definition, [sarcasm]so they will follow the rules, like paying taxes, discarding of hazardous chemicals properly, consider worker health risks[/sarcasm]. I am saying that if you allow traffic at any point on the border, the entire border becomes a checkpoint, but if you put up a "wall", it provides the implication that crossing at that location is illegal.

Also, automated surveillance still requires a human to look at it and go “yes this is something that requires action” when it triggers.
Do you think the technology of high-altitude aerial photography used between the USSR and USA 50 years ago was not brought to the borders during the"war on drugs"? Do you think that pattern-matching of photos has not been improved to the point that technicians need to review fewer and fewer anomalies?

That doesn’t always work.
Of course it does not always work. Besides the issue of corrupt individuals within security organizations, there is incompetence and complacency, and a loss of technological advantage and loss of secrecy regarding the systems used.

=============
Separately, the mono-rail idea is pretty cool.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44794 on: April 13, 2021, 12:13:46 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:22:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44795 on: April 13, 2021, 12:22:38 pm »

You're absolutely right

We should just line up and shoot every man, woman, and child that approaches the US Mexico border.  In either direction.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44796 on: April 13, 2021, 12:30:46 pm »

Maybe the best option was not to fucking build the thing in the first place.

Good thing Mexico is paying for all of this or we might have a useless financial drain for decades to come. Ha ha ha my little boy would have to pay for that until he's my age. Ha ha.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44797 on: April 13, 2021, 01:29:31 pm »

Errg....
You have no lock on your front door?
You give out your credit card data to everyone?
Offer your wallet to other people?

Borders.

Smugglers, smuggling drugs, enslaved people, guns, etc, use anyone they can coerce. Those coyotes are being used. Those migrants are being used.

Trump said "build a wall", but there already was 400 miles of vehicle-deterring wall. one. He added 50 miles more. From wikipedia on Trump wall
Trump says "build a wall" and you act like he actually did something new. When he says he did something, why do you believe him?

Somewhat related, a 10 minute NPR radio blurb that explains changes to immigration from Bush Jr's administration to to 2017..
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44798 on: April 13, 2021, 02:38:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:22:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44799 on: April 13, 2021, 03:10:36 pm »

Who are we going to blame when it's the climate?

You know exactly who.

Them.  For not being us.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44800 on: April 13, 2021, 03:31:56 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:21:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44801 on: April 13, 2021, 05:32:11 pm »

And 'legal crossing points' are notoriously jam-packed with those trying to legitimately cross (but just northwards..?). There are some who would 'illegally' transit for legally-sanctioned purposes, confusing the issue and adding opportunities.

Obviously that's not by design, merely a matter of logistics, which is why the monorail plan helps spread the load away from the border, perhaps making use of existing airport facilities to facilitate travel-checks well away from the linear border and its limited scope for bottlenecking crossing-points... You know it makes sense!

With companies like Google and Apple lobbying to keep the number of immigrants allowed down (so they can buy up all of the visas, preventing anyone from getting into the country unless they agree to work for well below minimum wage - what are you going to do, put Google in jail?), it's difficult for most people to get into the country legally. That's why we *need* ICE to arrest and enslave people for use in agriculture. They can't get in to work otherwise.

what about us brain-dead slobs?

You'll be given cushy jobs

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44802 on: April 13, 2021, 11:09:10 pm »

In no way did I mean that the migrants are bringing the crime or the drugs. But I do mean that their ability to cross the border is limited or is controlled by groups that are smuggling. And in the case of undocumented immigrants, most will end up in economic slavery within the country. The "coyotes" are just the small dogs that heed the larger dog's bark and guide the migrants towards locations on the border.

Uhu and the state has do to manage money like a thrifty swabian housewife. Man I just can't follow this seducingly mundane logic. We put locks not because they are that good at inhibiting crime, we put locks to avoid crimes of opportunity.

We put locks because they provide the implication that crossing at that location is illegal. It is a border. A crime does not require an opportunity; a crime requires the intention to break that "written/unwritten law". You keep your wallet in your pocket, another border. You limit where your credit card info goes, another border.

The fundamental thinking error here is thinking immigrating without the correct paperwork is anything beyond a misdemeanor.
I am not sure what "correct paperwork" involves... but some guys filled in paperwork and received border VISAs and entered the US, then hijacked aircraft and used them to do bad things. This greatly changed US immigration policy and procedure.

The notion that without limits there will be unlimited immigration flows is:

A: Fearmongering.
B: If it ever comes to migration flows where whole countries move, there is like a 99,9% likelyhood it's your moral duty to not ignore them.  I presume even in the USA there must be some forms of asylum law stating such. Like remember europe after WW2? Who are we going to blame when it's the climate?
Laws change as fast as the political situation does. Instead of meeting migration flows with moral duty, it will be with guns raised due to fear mongering. It is only after the "political equation" is solved that immigrant flows will be allowed any sort of freedom within the society, and that "political equation" certainly will not include a division of governing power. New people will be brought in at the bottom of the power structure.

... since our elites only concept forwards is to exclude more to be more greedy...
Greed? Power!

===============
I do not think migrants are the problem. I think politicians and businessmen are the problem, because they influence or control access to land, food, and water and their primary interests are power and business (legal or illegal).

There will be no easy method of immigration and the applications will remain complicated, because the only bar for citizenship is one where the "political equation" can be solved by the politicians, which usually means the politician needs to bring in new people "below" most of the current "citizens", which can only be done when the "economy" is up and the poorest are feeling good about their income and job security. I am not saying this because I believe this is the right thing, I am saying this because history has shown, this how it happens. No group of migratory people has entered another country/state without being brought into the power structure at or below the current bottom. And the more stressed the poorest are, the more likely the politicians will resist immigrants to avoid upsetting their power base.

I am not trying to be an ass.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44803 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:03 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:27:35 pm by dragdeler »
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44804 on: April 14, 2021, 08:54:00 am »

Everywhere in this world where humans live, there are "crimes of opportunity" waiting to be taken. If you were given an example where one person decides to steal some food from another person...
- Does it matter which person is "poorer"?
- Is the theft justified because it was "easy"?

I can get around to responding to the rest of your post after you answer those two questions. My answers to those two questions are "No" and "No", in all cases. But please answer the questions for yourself, separate from commenting on my answers.
Pages: 1 ... 2985 2986 [2987] 2988 2989 ... 3566