Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2958 2959 [2960] 2961 2962 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225580 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44385 on: March 15, 2021, 08:05:47 pm »

no no no, didn't you hear?  We can not just do that, because we can not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44386 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:58:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44387 on: March 15, 2021, 08:50:02 pm »

That is like the first time I read him swearing
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44388 on: March 15, 2021, 09:28:49 pm »

Not enough labor. Gotta turn away immigrants, you know - people coming to America who are willing to work - you know, otherwise known as labor.
The government is not actually allowed to use illegal immigrant labour to build facilities for housing illegal immigrants. If it were, we could probably build a lot more of them, but it would have certain Dachau vibes.

I think it's telling you assumed these people should always be illegal immigrants. There is nothing stopping the US from just handing citizenship or visas to anyone.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44389 on: March 15, 2021, 09:31:36 pm »

no no no, didn't you hear?  We can not just do that, because we can not.
:)

Got nothing to do with can and everything to do with will.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44390 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:12 pm »

Not enough labor. Gotta turn away immigrants, you know - people coming to America who are willing to work - you know, otherwise known as labor.
The government is not actually allowed to use illegal immigrant labour to build facilities for housing illegal immigrants. If it were, we could probably build a lot more of them, but it would have certain Dachau vibes.

I think it's telling you assumed these people should always be illegal immigrants. There is nothing stopping the US from just handing citizenship or visas to anyone.

SERVICE GARUNTEES CITIZENSHIP
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44391 on: March 15, 2021, 09:53:22 pm »

Odd assumption to ascribe to me. I stated only what is allowed under current law. There's not a normative assertion in sight.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44392 on: March 15, 2021, 10:20:22 pm »

What resources are we talking about? The US is willing to throw billions on a wall that research says and has said only increases illegal immigration.

Pretty much everything Trump spent on the wall was stolen - he illegally (as in, the courts said he couldn't do it) reprogrammed money that was supposed to go to other parts of the budget to his wall. The actual funding for the border services is finite and cannot legally be increased without an act of Congress.

More important is the labor cost. Just throwing up more housing is the least of the staffing issue - you need people to actually run any facility you can get (cooks, carers, etc), and people to dig through records and such to figure out who belongs where. This can't be easily increased, particularly when you really need to purge a lot of the people you already have on grounds of Being Evil.

Small edit: Just giving everybody a visa won't help, because you can't just throw a lot of these people into the US without somebody to be responsible for them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44393 on: March 15, 2021, 10:39:18 pm »

he illegally (as in, the courts said he couldn't do it)

It was indeed so illegal he suffered zero consequences for it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44394 on: March 15, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »

Small edit: Just giving everybody a visa won't help, because you can't just throw a lot of these people into the US without somebody to be responsible for them.

I honestly see no reason not to do this.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44395 on: March 15, 2021, 11:10:54 pm »

Most of the people in this discussion are CHILDREN. Do you really think that "Ok, welcome to America! You're on your own now! Try not to starve to death" is a reasonable solution here?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44396 on: March 15, 2021, 11:33:15 pm »

Most of the people in this discussion are CHILDREN. Do you really think that "Ok, welcome to America! You're on your own now! Try not to starve to death" is a reasonable solution here?

I mean what would the result of that be?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44397 on: March 16, 2021, 12:04:25 am »

If all the unaccompanied minors were just given visas and let loose? They would die. All of them. Horribly.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44398 on: March 16, 2021, 12:10:56 am »

Yeah, you can't just leave a damn four year old on the street. That's not safe.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44399 on: March 16, 2021, 12:36:24 am »

Yeah, you can't just leave a damn four year old on the street. That's not safe.

Right, they might sleep on the ground. Or catch diseases. One would even call that malicious.
Pages: 1 ... 2958 2959 [2960] 2961 2962 ... 3566