Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2940 2941 [2942] 2943 2944 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228220 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44115 on: March 03, 2021, 03:57:57 am »

Yeah... especially if it's premediated or particularly heinous (like your mall shooting example). Fuck those people, I want them dead or imprisoned for life. Anyone else can be saved still. Or is worth saving. But don't make us accept trash.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44116 on: March 03, 2021, 04:38:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:52:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44117 on: March 03, 2021, 05:02:47 am »

I'm 100% for rehabilitation in every possible case but a system also need to take into account that there will always be cases of people who cannot or do not want to be rehabilitated. I think it's a big problem when it becomes like her in Sweden and criminals who repeatedly commit heinous crimes are still given he same kind of leniency as others, despite not showing any attempt or even just a wish to change. This also presupposes a society which do not penalise people for being poor, of course.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44118 on: March 03, 2021, 11:47:19 am »

ugh what's the point
We like hearing from you tho. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44119 on: March 03, 2021, 11:51:43 am »

Yes, yes; the correct way to solve problems is to stop publishing Dr. Seuss books, because we don't like the fact that people in history had certain views.  "It's not a ban, because you can still keep the books if you already have them. But maybe this will cause libraries to reconsider the books they have on their shelves."

::)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44120 on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:21 am »

...Didn't Seuss write a book about how racism is bad? (star-bellied sneetches?)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44121 on: March 03, 2021, 12:06:53 pm »

Yes, yes; the correct way to solve problems is to stop publishing Dr. Seuss books, because we don't like the fact that people in history had certain views.  "It's not a ban, because you can still keep the books if you already have them. But maybe this will cause libraries to reconsider the books they have on their shelves."

::)

Yeah, this isn't "cancel culture" or anything. This is his family who own the rights deciding to pull specific problematic works from publication. While I agree that pulling work with problematic views from publication is by no means a clear cut thing, this isn't "being cancelled". Let them manage their story.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44122 on: March 03, 2021, 12:10:27 pm »

In other news, Abbot has decided that Texas needs another spike in the 'rona, presumably as a distraction from the winter storm that was able to wreak so much havoc due to his party's love of deregulation, and thus has canceled the statewise mask and occupancy mandates.

As a Texan, I get the feeling I'm gonna want to upgrade to full MOPP gear at this rate, because last time I had to go out I saw plenty of dumbasses going unmasked even before this fresh injection of idiocy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44123 on: March 03, 2021, 12:20:52 pm »

Yeah, this isn't "cancel culture" or anything. This is his family who own the rights deciding to pull specific problematic works from publication. While I agree that pulling work with problematic views from publication is by no means a clear cut thing, this isn't "being cancelled". Let them manage their story.

I think I disagree; just because the rights-holder is pulling it, doesn't mean it's not censorship.  It's about motive in my mind - it's not like "eh, we just don't want to publish any more."  It's specifically controlling the narrative not by what is available, but by what is not available.  Dr. Seuss isn't "their story" any more - it's been in the public consciousness for so long, it's everyone's - they don't really own it in that sense.

I'd rather they do like Disney did and just put a disclaimer in the title page or something.  That way you are at least presenting people with information and giving them the opportunity to understand and evaluate the content, rather than just tell them "You need to believe this way, and we're not even going give you information to understand why."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44124 on: March 03, 2021, 12:44:20 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44125 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:48 pm »

Dr Seuss's books literally are their stories, because the family/estate owns the copyright. They own it in every sense that matters regarding publishing, given the current state of IP laws. You can disagree that's a good thing, I guess, but with the state of things that's about all you got.

Any case, quick check shows the kill order only seems to effect some of the crappier ones that (probably rightfully, considering) didn't see much love anyway, so, y'know. Eh.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:48:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44126 on: March 03, 2021, 12:55:29 pm »

Yes yes, the IP is theirs, but the story isn't.  It's like - Disney owns Mikey Mouse, yes, but "Mickey Mouse" is now part of the collective experience - the greater story is not really owned by Disney.  Trying to control the public story is the part that makes me sad... not the controlling publishing and being able to charge money for it.  I think those are orthogonal concepts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44127 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:35 pm »

Mate, I work in a library these days. Most people don't know or care much about "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street”, “If I Ran the Zoo", “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!,” “Scrambled Eggs Super!,” or “The Cat’s Quizzer.”

The first two were the only ones I even recognized, and they're still not even remotely one of the popular Seuss stories. It's less the public's and more "no one's, really, and also apparently racist enough to yeet from the presses".

Feels a lot to me like this is the public making its opinion known about them, and the opinion is that they're poo and can stop being produced :V
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:07:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44128 on: March 03, 2021, 01:07:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:52:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44129 on: March 03, 2021, 01:08:04 pm »

Maybe I've got a soft spot - And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street was literally the first book I read by myself when I was young (so claims my mother).
Pages: 1 ... 2940 2941 [2942] 2943 2944 ... 3567