Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228713 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44100 on: February 26, 2021, 03:22:36 pm »

that's our pro-life president
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44101 on: February 26, 2021, 04:11:14 pm »

Yeah, something about retaliation for killing a US contractor and wounding another, or something like that? I've heard folks more familiar with this sort of horseshit say it was probably the most restrained response we could expect.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44102 on: February 26, 2021, 04:36:04 pm »

Skimmed the article, picked out some quotes. Read the article for a clearer image. Seems to have been a response to quite a few rocket attacks that injured Americans.

a dozen rockets believed to be linked to an Iran-backed militia group targeted coalition forces outside Irbil International Airport, killing one non-U.S. contractor and wounding nine more people, including five Americans.
on Saturday, at least four rockets struck Balad Air Base, which houses American contractors who provide support to Iraq's fleet of U.S.-made F-16 fighter jets, wounding one person.
on Monday, two rockets fell near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, inside the Green Zone. No injuries or casualties were reported.
Biden initially faced criticism for not immediately pinning blame for the attacks on Iran, which has frequently carried out similar strikes against U.S. and coalition troops in Iraq.
The decision to strike in Syria instead of Iraq was likely made to avoid causing issues for the Iraqi government, which remains a partner in the counterterrorism fight against ISIS
The president chose the "middle" option from a broad range of military options, according to a senior defense official.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44103 on: February 26, 2021, 05:13:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:47:21 pm by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44104 on: February 26, 2021, 05:17:28 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44105 on: February 26, 2021, 05:56:58 pm »

I was elected to lead, not to read.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44106 on: February 26, 2021, 06:28:04 pm »

The Washington Post decided to look into the financial situations of those charged in the Capitol riot:
Nearly 60 percent of the people facing charges related to the Capitol riot showed signs of prior money troubles, including bankruptcies, notices of eviction or foreclosure, bad debts, or unpaid taxes over the past two decades, according to a Washington Post analysis of public records for 125 defendants with sufficient information to detail their financial histories.

The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings.
The financial missteps by defendants in the insurrection ranged from small debts of a few thousand dollars more than a decade ago to unpaid tax bills of $400,000 and homes facing foreclosure in recent years. Some of these people seemed to have regained their financial footing. But many of them once stood close to the edge.

Go figure.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44107 on: February 26, 2021, 06:37:37 pm »

The biggest thing I take away from that is this:

The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public

That means that 10% of the population as a whole has declared bankruptcy?  That's insane.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44108 on: February 26, 2021, 06:39:48 pm »

My knee-jerk snarky reaction is to note that by that metric Trump would also have 'financial troubles' what with his numerous bankruptcies.

More reasonably stated, it's not the best metric. Nor is unpaid taxes, really, as some people just don't instead of can't.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:21:21 pm by Dostoevsky »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44109 on: February 26, 2021, 07:34:52 pm »

The biggest thing I take away from that is this:

The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public

That means that 10% of the population as a whole has declared bankruptcy?  That's insane.
I don't know if you've noticed the US population has occasional problems with debt, but, uh. It does!

Hard to find a quick and easy number on how much of the US population has bankrupted, though. Yearly rates are easy, but portion of the total population, not so much. Overlap and repeats make it hard to translate one into the other.

e: Though trump literally did/does have financial troubles, for what it's worth. It's just that daddy's money means that doesn't have the same sort of impact it does for most of the country.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:36:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44110 on: February 26, 2021, 07:38:03 pm »

The president chose the "middle" option from a broad range of military options, according to a senior defense official.

I chuckled, this could easily be a euphemism for: we put 5 pictures on the desk and good old moderate joe pointed at the middle one, in a predictable manner.
funny image

This made me laugh with food in my mouth >:|

lol tho
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44111 on: February 26, 2021, 10:24:17 pm »

e: Though trump literally did/does have financial troubles, for what it's worth. It's just that daddy's money means that doesn't have the same sort of impact it does for most of the country.

My point was to note that "financial troubles" in that sense doesn't really capture it. A fair number of people living in luxury with 'spending problems' are in financial trouble, yes, but it's not like they're homeless or struggling to pay for basic necessities. Or personally having financial troubles but some relatives waiting in the wings with largesse doesn't really have the same sting.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44112 on: March 02, 2021, 09:53:29 pm »

I used to be hardcore pro-punitive justice. Now I support rehabilitation (to an extent, serial killers, terrorists, rapists, pedophiles deserve to rot in jail and I have no sympathy for them).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:33:25 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44113 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:08 pm »

Making torturers of honest civilians spreads violence throughout the society, where we wanted to see peace. It doesn't stop being torture, just because you do it to someone who hurt someone once. How do we know that they won't bring work home?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44114 on: March 03, 2021, 03:32:45 am »

Making torturers of honest civilians spreads violence throughout the society, where we wanted to see peace. It doesn't stop being torture, just because you do it to someone who hurt someone once. How do we know that they won't bring work home?
It doesn't matter. While I wholeheartedly support rehabilitation for theft, assault, etc. Even murder if they're truly sorry.

But serial killers don't even deserve redemption. I don't care what they can bring. They gave no mercy to many innocents, they don't deserve any either.

Or what if someone shoots up a church/mall/theater? Would you forgive them?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:35:37 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 3567