Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229289 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44025 on: February 22, 2021, 08:41:46 am »

Shy Guy or Blooper is where it’s at.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44026 on: February 22, 2021, 08:51:38 am »

There's no shy guys in any mario kart I've played what newfangled youngster nonsense is that
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44027 on: February 22, 2021, 08:53:36 am »

oldskool snes mario kart suckas.

Nobody beats Princess Peach. Bitch is ruthless!

(I was so good at playing as her, that I was forbidden to pick her when I did the splitscreen multiplayer. I would have to use yoshi instead, and he is just not as good.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44028 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:38 am »

recently-confirmed DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas would issue new enforcement guidelines within the next 90 days “after consultation with Department personnel and external stakeholders.”

who the FUCK are the external stakeholders to DHS gee fuckin' willikers we can't stop deporting people, someone might lose money oh my god

There are also reports of detainees being used as slave labor, which the current administration is massively in favor of. Possibly companies looking to purchase their labor would be stakeholders.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44029 on: February 22, 2021, 10:57:26 am »

It's Wario or nuthin'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44030 on: February 22, 2021, 11:08:43 am »

There are also reports of detainees being used as slave labor, which the current administration is massively in favor of. Possibly companies looking to purchase their labor would be stakeholders.

I feel like both statements here need some clarification:
1) How is "slave labor" defined?
2) What is driving the assertion that "the current administration is massively in favor [of slave labor]"?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44031 on: February 22, 2021, 11:19:39 am »

It's Wario or nuthin'

Warioware is lame, bring back Warioland
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44032 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:38 am »

I feel like both statements here need some clarification:
1) How is "slave labor" defined?
2) What is driving the assertion that "the current administration is massively in favor [of slave labor]"?

1) Non-consentual? The tiny amounts they're paid are also questionable, as they aren't even allowed to keep the possessions they were found with. They are also generally prevented from benefiting from the experience of their labor, to ensure they can't improve their lives, and also to make sure the market for their labor doesn't dry up.
2) https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/01/california-incarcerated-firefighters-prison https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/magazine/the-incarcerated-women-who-fight-californias-wildfires.html

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44033 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:17 pm »

Both those articles indicate that participation in the fire service was voluntary. Many were prisoners for crimes, not for immigration issues.  Also seems like that is California-specific, not federal?

The fact that these people can gain such valuable experience and then, after they leave prison, cannot be hired to utilize those skills - yes that has to be fixed.

As for the amount a convicted criminal should be paid for volunteer work while incarcerated - that's a complex topic in some ways.  I mean they are already being supplied housing, food, shelter, entertainment, etc at taxpayers' expense.  What's the alternative - pay them a "normal" wage but then charge them room and board?

The entire prison industry does need some serious reconsideration - the entire criminal justice system does have a significant amount of injustice to it.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44034 on: February 22, 2021, 12:38:55 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:45:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44035 on: February 22, 2021, 01:04:06 pm »

For-profit companies should not be running the phone lines. I heard that in Connecticut they're charging people five dollars a minute to talk to people. It's just not right.

They make people pay monthly for electronic monitoring, too, to a corporation that makes a profit. And prisoners do most of the work in prison: cleaning, cooking, etc., and of course they aren't compensated for that.

Finally: Whatever we say about being supplied things at taxpayer expense, we have to realize that lots of prison labor is not "for the state." It's raising tilapia for Whole Foods, sewing panties for Victoria's Secret, and so on. Then those companies sell the goods at a profit. The prisoner gets all but nothing.

If you don't think the prisoner should get anything, think about this: the company makes a killing by using prisoners as scabs, forcing regular workers out of the workplace and killing the possibility of unionization. The rationale is: "there is some work that must be done. It takes 40 hours a week, but the result isn't worth very much. So the only way to get that work done is by not compensating the people who are doing it." In order to make that happen, you then have to devalue the people and say "it's unquestionable that this work needs to be done, and it's unquestionable that the product is not worth very much (but has to be done), and so the only way to legitimize this project is if the people doing the work aren't worth very much either."

Even if we don't think prisoners are worth as much as regular human beings, do we really want to play into the interests of capital like this?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44036 on: February 22, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »

I think prisoners are people just as much as anyone else. What I don't know is that they should get paid a standard wage and get subsidized room and board and such.  I'm also aware that you can't just pay them a standard wage and then bill them for the room and board, because the mandated supplier of said room and board will just take all the income due to a captive market.

I can't think of a way you can set it up that cannot be manipulated in an unsavory manner.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44037 on: February 22, 2021, 01:37:56 pm »

Here's one: No private prisons, federally mandated + enforced prison standards.

Federal cost too high? Stop imprisoning people so fast that you end up with 25% of the entire goddam worlds prisoner population.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44038 on: February 22, 2021, 01:40:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:44:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44039 on: February 22, 2021, 02:00:27 pm »

Ultimately, prison abolition.

Before that, the full recognition of the rights of prisoners, including rights of political participation and labor. It's the state that has imprisoned the prisoners - that's not a part of their labor benefit because it's not something they did.

Before that, tearing the current system of courts and prisons the fuck apart, most notably private prisons but also the conscious encouragement of violence and recidivism that even "good" prisons practice. If you can hold Bernie Madoff in a locked vacation resort then you can do the same for a guy from Mississipi who sold weed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3567