Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2925 2926 [2927] 2928 2929 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231144 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43890 on: February 13, 2021, 04:01:47 pm »

That closing defense was truly monstrous. On mobile, heard it in the car, but just... I feel more than ever like they'd rather burn the country down than let the blue team win, much less allow any actual progress or even just a tiny bit of accountability.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43891 on: February 13, 2021, 04:08:40 pm »

Why am I not surprised...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43892 on: February 13, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »

Separations have already been halted. It was one of Biden's first acts in office. Reuniting the previously-separated children with caretakes will take time, particularly since the previous administration was consciously using them as a terror threat to keep "undesirables" out, and didn't keep great records. So they'll still need housed until then.

You have a source on that? Everywhere I check says they're still going on.

And it would be weird to stop a policy that started when he was VP.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43893 on: February 13, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »

My understanding is that he issued an Executive Order that a) setup a task force to reunite families (along with other related efforts) and b) revoked the Trump EO semi-officializing the hardarse version of family separation that Trump engaged in.

My (admittedly non-expert) understanding is that this will result in the practice becoming much less common, but not being eliminated entirely.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43894 on: February 13, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »

My understanding is that he issued an Executive Order that a) setup a task force to reunite families (along with other related efforts) and b) revoked the Trump EO semi-officializing the hardarse version of family separation that Trump engaged in.

My (admittedly non-expert) understanding is that this will result in the practice becoming much less common, but not being eliminated entirely.
I've got to say, the order does have all the hallmarks of "we solved the problem by starting a committee to think about solving the problem" government work. So it's pretty doubtful that it will have an effect, I think.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43895 on: February 13, 2021, 04:30:14 pm »

EOs are generally limited to that sort of thing, really.

(Though yes, that doesn't speak highly of EOs.)

Edit: To elaborate a tad, part of what the EO does is offer a formalized piece of paper for agencies to point to as support for subsequent actions. An EO is obviously not as powerful as law, but it can help in a court case. Presumably agencies will be acting in a way that isn't contra to this EO's idea even before the task force does its thing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:32:13 pm by Dostoevsky »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43896 on: February 13, 2021, 04:31:37 pm »

And it would be weird to stop a policy that started when he was VP.
When he was VP it was "there are some children who seem not to belong to any handy responsible adult", and were unfortunately 'caged' temporarily in a holding area while (perhaps too slowly) finding a better thing to do with them.

Trump effectively said "All the adults are criminals and must be imprisoned; All children are now unaccompanied by any form of unimprisoned responsible adult and so go to the cages/holding area while we... do very little more, don't bother me with the details!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43897 on: February 13, 2021, 05:36:43 pm »

People aren't born with political views. People are born jewish. Making that comparison is indeed "denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities". (although I would change that to '...and/or religious identities', because being born of the jewish race does not make one automatically be of the jewish faith. I am a dutch agnostic jew. I have never been religious in any form or shape, except that one carnival festival where I dressed up as Jesus and had many followers give me free beers.

That's basically any post invoking Godwin's law ever, though. Anytime a Democrat compares a Republican's actions to a Nazi, they're equating what they've done to what the Nazis did to the Jews.

At least Gina Carano only made the comparison to the pre-Holocaust hate phase rather than actual extermination. It's stupid, but not as horrible as it's being made out to be. She also had deleted the post at some point before being fired.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:39:32 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43898 on: February 13, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »

When Democrats call Republicans Nazis, they are doing so because the Republicans are reiterating literal Nazi propaganda and methods. Including lying to your gullible ass.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43899 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:12 pm »

When Democrats call Republicans Nazis, they are doing so because the Republicans are reiterating literal Nazi propaganda and methods. Including lying to your gullible ass.

Don’t forget the actual Nazis being praised as “patriots” by prominent Republicans. The issue is that conservatism has devolved into a predominantly reactionary movement. There was a time you could at least look beyond the flaws at the quixotic chivalry it aspired to, but those days are over. They’re now consumed by hatred of their very long list of perceived enemies, and view any call for introspection as a personal affront.

[Insert boilerplate statement about Democrats being shit too here], but why fuss over the speck of sawdust in their eyes when we’re ignoring the giant plank jutting from the Republicans’ faces.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43900 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:31 pm »

People aren't born with political views. People are born jewish. Making that comparison is indeed "denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities". (although I would change that to '...and/or religious identities', because being born of the jewish race does not make one automatically be of the jewish faith. I am a dutch agnostic jew. I have never been religious in any form or shape, except that one carnival festival where I dressed up as Jesus and had many followers give me free beers.

That's basically any post invoking Godwin's law ever, though. Anytime a Democrat compares a Republican's actions to a Nazi, they're equating what they've done to what the Nazis did to the Jews.

...Didn't repubs just agree that it's essentially legal to incite an assault, with intent of harm to various congresspeople as well as the vice president, on grounds of declaring victory on an election loss?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43901 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:59 pm »

Conservatism is shit but it's way different from, you know, actual fascism which is a very specific ideology.

If you're calling your political opponent a fascist you are probably accusing them of being authoritarian instead. Which is fair.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #43902 on: February 13, 2021, 10:15:26 pm »

...Didn't repubs just agree that it's essentially legal to incite an assault, with intent of harm to various congresspeople as well as the vice president, on grounds of declaring victory on an election loss?

Of course they didn’t.

They said it’s cool to incite riots as the president so long as there isn’t enough time to impeach them before the end of their tenure, because as soon as it’s over we’re not allowed to hold the now-previous office-holder responsible for their actions in office.

Because that’s a fucking brilliant precedent to set.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43903 on: February 13, 2021, 10:27:40 pm »

The Carano thing is probably not worth anybody's time, but...

At least Gina Carano only made the comparison to the pre-Holocaust hate phase rather than actual extermination. It's stupid, but not as horrible as it's being made out to be. She also had deleted the post at some point before being fired.

There was also this, among other things:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might just seem vaguely anti-capitalist, and maybe that was her intent (I doubt it given her other posts), but that image in particular is related to a mural that's part of the antisemitism scandal in the UK's labour party, which is relevant given you also talk about "antisemitism on the left":

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, maybe just anti-capitalist, but the "New World Order" on the bottom left and the choice of caricatures is at least strongly suggestive of neo-nazi conspiracy theories (and both these images are widely circulated by them).

is anti-Semitism back in vogue?

It never left, and is certainly not limited to the Right.

That coincidental labour scandal is far more relevant than the Nation of Islam (of all things) to the current both-sidesy argument about antisemitism coming from conservatives (a space that was previously only occupied by labeling criticism of Israel as antisemitic), so if you really believe this I would think you should also take some issue with Carano, or at least enough to understand why Disney canned her for essentially reposting infowars-tier trolling passing for "conservatism".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43904 on: February 15, 2021, 01:03:16 am »

Democrats called Republicans Nazis (for running concentration camps, engaging in genocide) over the "kids in cages" incident, using a photo actually from the Obama admin. (This is assertion Disney didn't fire Pedro Pascal for.) How's that for a Big Lie?

Nazis also engaged in censorship, so their ideas couldn't be challenged in debate. Republicans aren't the ones doing that. They end up in the occasional echo chamber, but they don't deplatform others.

No, they disagreed that Trump committed incitement as defined by the law. He may have given them a reason to riot, but he didn't tell them to break into the Capitol Building. He told them to march to the Capitol, adding "peacefully", in order to "proudly make their voices heard" to encourage Republican Senators. They also argued that a President cannot be impeached (a political trial) and removed after already having left office, and that he wasn't given due process as a now private citizen that a legal trial would require.

In other words, Trump can still be charged criminally, but expect to be laughed out of court if you don't have better evidence than already shown.

That coincidental labour scandal is far more relevant than the Nation of Islam (of all things) to the current both-sidesy argument about antisemitism coming from conservatives (a space that was previously only occupied by labeling criticism of Israel as antisemitic), so if you really believe this I would think you should also take some issue with Carano, or at least enough to understand why Disney canned her for essentially reposting infowars-tier trolling passing for "conservatism".

Labor scandal?

If she's posted clearly anti-semitic stuff, then she definitely deserved to be fired. It just seems like there was a whole lot of controversy surrounding that one post.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:14:12 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2925 2926 [2927] 2928 2929 ... 3567