Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 [2914] 2915 2916 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240461 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43695 on: January 31, 2021, 03:38:57 pm »

He took the nuclear briefcase with him?????

You gotta admit, that would be like the raddest office supplies stealing ever. Literally in a figurative way since it has the potential or ramp up the rads everywhere..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:40:37 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43696 on: January 31, 2021, 03:40:19 pm »

Yes. The transfer team was prepared for that though. They already had a new football ready and waiting for Biden. Probably using completely new tech for the old one is compromised.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43697 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:06 pm »

He took the football home with him after leaving the White House. Isn't that enough for a High Treason charge followed by death by firing squad?

Wait what? Ahahahahaha... Holy fuck, that's ridiculous, I gotta read about this

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43698 on: January 31, 2021, 04:14:34 pm »

Hmm this is an article from before the transfer of power, but I could swear there were various articles on him taking it home when he left the White House for the last time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9139949/Donald-Trump-nuclear-football-Military-aide-carries-emergency-satchel.html

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43699 on: January 31, 2021, 04:16:37 pm »

They prepared separate footballs because Trump refused to meet with Biden to hand it over, but technically it couldn't leave Trump's presence until he was no longer President. No crime there. It also wouldn't be treason unless he tried to hand it over to a declared enemy of the United States.

Also, the football is a prop. It doesn't really matter, the military are the ones with the true authority to launch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43701 on: January 31, 2021, 05:16:54 pm »

There are multiple nuclear footballs in use normally anyway. Backups and one for the Vice President as well.

It does get overblown in movies, but it's not 100% a prop. It's mostly just paper, (describing different attack options and secure shelter locations) but apparently there is some sort of secure communications device that lets the president consult with the joint chiefs as well. But it's true that the order has to go through the military and it's not just a "device to launch the nukes in a suitcase" except as far as you could say any secure phone line accessible to the president is.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43702 on: January 31, 2021, 05:19:40 pm »

The military controls the nukes, but the president has the codes needed for launch. They need each other.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43703 on: January 31, 2021, 05:37:57 pm »

It's a polite fiction. The US fast response nukes are constantly ready to launch on two minute's notice. The US sub nukes are out of contact with the mainland for extended periods of time, by design. These are the center of the nuclear arsenal, and neither of them are going to place a call to the White House if they detect a nuclear strike incoming. At most they might seek approval from the Pentagon, if it wasn't an immediate launch scenario.

But if the time came, they'd just do it, and they'd probably disregard the President if they called and were told no. Nixon ordered nuclear strikes on North Korea while drunk and the JCS just ignored them. The card to activate the football had twenty zeros in a row as the code for decades, so that any military aide of the President could order the strike through it.

The public perception of the US nuclear program is just as bullshit as Israel's claim to nuclear opacity - it's for PR purposes. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the US had a deadhand system, though the subs are effectively that by nature.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43704 on: January 31, 2021, 05:49:09 pm »

That's a defense only scenario though.  If the US were in some grimdark future planning on initiating first strike, that would still need a combination of military for the nukes + president for the codes, right?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43705 on: January 31, 2021, 05:54:45 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43706 on: January 31, 2021, 05:58:31 pm »

A reminder to the rest of the world: The UK may launch an immediate nuclear attack if a particular radio soap about farming and agriculture fails to be broadcast[1].

[1] Well, not actually The Archers. Apparently more like The Today Programme, but it's as good a threat as any when it involves both the Grundys and Lynda Snell's annual pantomime...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43707 on: January 31, 2021, 06:21:50 pm »

That's a defense only scenario though.  If the US were in some grimdark future planning on initiating first strike, that would still need a combination of military for the nukes + president for the codes, right?
I don't see why they would. If the JCS collectively want a nuke to drop, it'll probably happen. If one of the Joint Chiefs went insane and tried to end the world, that'd probably fail. This is a lot more about military authority than anything else - it also means that if the President ordered a strike even while not drunk and crazy like Nixon, they'd just be ignored.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43708 on: January 31, 2021, 07:08:54 pm »

Sorry to drop more British culture on here, but at some point shortly I 'probably certainly would' want to post this clip (padded with several other '80s-vintage topical jokes that might be appreciated).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43709 on: January 31, 2021, 07:15:14 pm »

How different would be our history if a drunken nuclear strike hits North Korea back then....
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 [2914] 2915 2916 ... 3567