Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2886 2887 [2888] 2889 2890 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243326 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43305 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:12 am »

1/6 was an inside job! Rioters can't knock down steel barriers!

LOL.

Srsly though, 2 capitol police have been arrested and more than a dozen others are being investigated under suspicion of coordinating with the rioters. Evidence is also coming to light that several house members gave the riot leaders guided tours prior to the day of the riot, and provided instruction regarding vulnerable points.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43306 on: January 14, 2021, 11:09:37 am »

Interesting analysis by Timothy Snyder

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/magazine/trump-coup.html?referringSource=articleShare

And yet, people will just ignore it, because they are already post-truth...  :-\
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43307 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:25 am »

Interesting analysis by Timothy Snyder

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/magazine/trump-coup.html?referringSource=articleShare

Kind of funny it mentions the objection to the electoral certification of 1877, but not all the times Democrats did it this century (2001, 2005, 2017):
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/06/opinion/democrat-republican-electoral-votes.html

As for the "big lie", Democrats and the media did the same to Trump upon his election, calling him an illegitimate President and much worse. Although Hillary conceded to Trump on election day, she later claimed to regret conceding, continuing to call Trump illegitimate all the way to the 2020 election, where she urged Biden to never concede to Trump at any cost. Adam Schiff (House Intel Committee) repeatedly claimed to have "damning, more than circumstantial evidence" that Trump colluded with Russia. After the Muller report, when pressed for the evidence, Schiff just said his sources must have been wrong.

Let's not pretend he had to look back to Hitler for inspiration. He learned from recent history and cruised by on a combination of bravado and confirmation bias.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:21:05 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43308 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:36 am »

There is nothing here that is defensible. Deflection with "but other people did bad stuff in the past" doesn't help us avoid, as long as possible, a complete collapse of our already tenuous republic.

I mean I suppose there are some people who really don't want a republic, but quite a few of us still do. If some people really don't want a republic, then please let's figure out how to set up a separate republic and a whatever-it-is that people think they are going to get.  Let's not get into a situation where more force is involved.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43309 on: January 14, 2021, 11:38:22 am »

But we shouldn't be all so immediately trusting of centrist Democrats to help us with that goal.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43310 on: January 14, 2021, 12:08:12 pm »

Tell me more about the acts of terrorism democrats committed to install Hilary as president in spite of her losing both the popular vote and the electoral college.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43311 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:12 pm »

Tell me more about the acts of terrorism democrats committed to install Hilary as president in spite of her losing both the popular vote and the electoral college.

Basically this. Neither party is a friend to democracy, but the problem is that one of them is currently the bigger ENEMY to democracy. Ideally we shouldn't give the democrats a free pass to commit fuckery, but as it is the fuckery is already in full swing and the republicans are presently the primary source of it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43312 on: January 14, 2021, 12:48:43 pm »

There's also a giant world of difference between the legitimate and founded-in-evidence concerns that foreign interference in the election influenced the way citizens voted in significant numbers in a way that benefited that foreign interferer, and therefore seeking investigation into whether the local benefactor of that foreign interference was directly involved in facilitating that interference, and asserting without evidence that the very votes cast by citizens themselves are fraudulent.

An elected representatives job is to oppose and vote against policies they disagree with, and develop and support those they agree with. A citizens job is to speak out about policies they disagree with and show support for those they agree with. That's all part of the democratic process. Winning an election does not grant you unconditional support for anything that you do afterwards. An electoral win is not a time limited dictatorship.

Challenging, without evidence and using baseless accusations of accusations, the very votes themselves and then using that to stir up your base to violence in your benefit; that is an affront to that democratic process that demands a response. Opposition for the purposes of weakening the current government rather than based on a politicians evaluation of the merits of a particular piece of legislation is a problem, but this is on a whole other level.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:12:26 pm by MorleyDev »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43313 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:47 pm »

Let's not pretend he had to look back to Hitler for inspiration.

I mean,

1. Hitler was inspired by the US's genocidal projects. This is kind of on us regardless.

2. But also, the man literally keeps a volume of the other man's speeches by his bed?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43314 on: January 14, 2021, 02:54:40 pm »

You don't need to trust democrats, you just need to eliminate the worst actors. And right now that is the entire republican party. Beat them into submission, and when they are no longer of any threat, the next worst actors will most likely be those centrist democrats.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:56:32 pm by Micro102 »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43315 on: January 14, 2021, 03:01:51 pm »

1. Hitler was inspired by the US's genocidal projects. This is kind of on us regardless.

2. But also, the man literally keeps a volume of the other man's speeches by his bed?
[scene: A bedroom in a small, rustic cottage, the window shows a vista overlooking verdant pampas]
[An old man wakes up from a short snooze, gropes ineffectively on the sidetable for something he can't find...]

Old man: Eva? Eva! Where's my book? I want to read my book! Did you take my book again?

Voice, off, of elderly female: I told you before. I will not have that horrible book with those horrid words in the house, Adolf!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43316 on: January 14, 2021, 04:57:11 pm »

I would like to see Liz Cheney survive this, and be involved in a purge of the Republican party.

As bad as the emotion-less, conversation-evading, external-war-promoting Republicans have been, they are so much better than the emotion-charged conversation-blocking internal-war-promoting Republicans that have been empowering Trump.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43317 on: January 14, 2021, 04:59:21 pm »

I would like to see Liz Cheney survive this, and be involved in a purge of the Republican party.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:01:14 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43318 on: January 14, 2021, 04:59:41 pm »

They're trying to weed out national guard members with white supremacist sympathies before the inauguration in order to avoid a military coup. Just had a convo with a friend where I told her I was bracing myself for the possibility of a (more) fascist dictatorship coming in around when I have to take midterms.

[scene: A bedroom in a small, rustic cottage, the window shows a vista overlooking verdant pampas]
[An old man wakes up from a short snooze, gropes ineffectively on the sidetable for something he can't find...]

Old man: Eva? Eva! Where's my book? I want to read my book! Did you take my book again?

Voice, off, of elderly female: I told you before. I will not have that horrible book with those horrid words in the house, Adolf!

this is gold
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43319 on: January 14, 2021, 06:10:14 pm »

As bad as the emotion-less, conversation-evading, external-war-promoting Republicans have been, they are so much better than the emotion-charged conversation-blocking internal-war-promoting Republicans that have been empowering Trump.

This, basically. I'd rather deal with an extreme right that wants to fight resource wars and unlawfully spy on/imprison U.S. citizens than an extreme right that wants to take a second stab at the Civil War, gleefully ignore the climate crisis, and murder people like me for disagreeing with their less angry cousins.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2886 2887 [2888] 2889 2890 ... 3568