Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244188 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43230 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:39 am »

I would be quite amused if some coppers knelt for the Trumpists.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43231 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:18 am »

I would be quite amused if some coppers knelt for the Trumpists.
it took me a bit to realize you were talking about cops, I was thinking why would copper creatures care about Trump!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43232 on: January 12, 2021, 11:21:34 am »

So hey.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate this guy.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43233 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:01 am »

I love the dumb look on the guy in fronts face in the video. He literally glances at the hall to the chamber like "Duuuuh welll he's not going that way so it must not be important let's follow this police officer chap he's clearly leading us where we want to go oh my goodness where did these other officers come from".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:33:14 am by MorleyDev »

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43234 on: January 12, 2021, 12:39:58 pm »

So hey.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate this guy.
Interesting name.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43235 on: January 12, 2021, 12:40:48 pm »

Yeah, between that and the guy who runs Parler having the last name Monster, Twitter has been blowing up saying "we all need to apologize to Hideo Kojima."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43236 on: January 12, 2021, 12:45:11 pm »

Did you guys hear about the Parler database hack? Very lol.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43237 on: January 12, 2021, 12:48:02 pm »

I dunno. Getting their illegal activity info to the Feds and local law enforcement is one thing. Just doxxing people that you don't agree with politically though......well.....just imagine if the tables were turned, and people were trying to organize to stop a fascist administration from seizing control.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43238 on: January 12, 2021, 12:56:06 pm »

You know, around the GamerGate period, it was not unheard of for trans women to be doxxed and SWATTed on Twitter for being trans on the internet.

Please note that I'm not saying anything like "people should be doxxed for their political speech," what I'm saying is that this idea of "if the tables were turned" is silly. The tables have been turned for a long, long time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43239 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:15 pm »

It wasn't a hack, it was just incredibly shitty web design.  Photo function didn't scrub exif data, deleted posts weren't actually deleted but marked invisible, and shitty API that didn't check for the deletion flag when somebody told it to download everything on the site.  I think there may have been a couple "hacks" but the big one was all publicly available data that anybody could've gotten.

I like to shitpost about how God of War is a political allegory:  The whole story is how the gods gave Kratos the power to kill a god because he wanted to use it on somebody they didn't like.  Then he decided to use it on them and they got mad.

Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43240 on: January 12, 2021, 01:30:31 pm »

deleted posts weren't actually deleted but marked invisible
This part strikes me as shitty but not in the "incompetence" sense like the rest of the incident.  Maybe I'm misattributing malice, but I suspect they wanted to keep that data.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43241 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:34 pm »

That's not uncommon in API design and is something I've even built into APIs I'd created before because... yeah, sometimes you want to recover data that was "deleted."  Not sure how that meshes with privacy laws these days though.

And allowing that archived data to be retrieved by clients is a different matter completely, and definitely shows some negligence on their part.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43242 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:54 pm »

If the postmortem I read was accurate, when their authentication service dropped them it accidentally let people just make administrator accounts if they wanted to, and so people did and then imaged the entire site with their admin rights, including all the scanned drivers licenses that these morons uploaded to get the VIP role.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43243 on: January 12, 2021, 01:40:23 pm »

Flagging deleted posts as deleted instead of actually hard deleting them was once standard practice in software design.

Modern privacy regulations and general 'not wanting to keep the history of the planet' have altered this, better practice now is to keep something 'deleted' for a period of days before hard deleting it. But since this platform was explicitly built to be a modern platform that rejects modernity I doubt the developers paid much attention/respect to the "don't keep things forever" and "the state demands you respect people's privacy" thing.

Then there are the '9-to-5' developers who don't keep up with the advancing landscape except to the extent their (often non-technical) managers force them to (since to them it's just viewed as a job like any other, where they do what they're told, and there's no standards enforcing keeping up to date). Businesses that exclusively employ what I call 'sausage factory developement' often use what becomes regarded as bad practices for years after the people paying attention stop.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:48:07 pm by MorleyDev »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43244 on: January 12, 2021, 01:50:46 pm »

If the postmortem I read was accurate, when their authentication service dropped them it accidentally let people just make administrator accounts if they wanted to, and so people did and then imaged the entire site with their admin rights, including all the scanned drivers licenses that these morons uploaded to get the VIP role.

I've heard two different stories, which may be two separate incidents.  One of them was ArchiveTeam and they just downloaded everything via the API, for whatever reason the site wasn't designed to prevent this or limit what could be pulled.  No admin accounts needed.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 3569