Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4252424 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42780 on: January 04, 2021, 05:57:25 am »

inb4 "RICO the Trump Administration"

There ain't no law...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42781 on: January 04, 2021, 05:57:39 am »

The transcript has him and his lawer asking for voter registry data that can directly tie a voter to thier vote.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42782 on: January 04, 2021, 06:12:35 am »

This is the full transcript, lifted from the NYT.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:17:36 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42783 on: January 04, 2021, 06:13:32 am »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42784 on: January 04, 2021, 06:23:28 am »

But could we have some TLDR on all the times Trump repeats himself?

and you know, that’s very very, very very sad.
I believe it’s about 4,502 voters who voted but who weren’t on the voter registration list. So it’s five thou — 4,502 — who voted, but they were not on the voter registration roll
you had 904 who only voted where they had just a P.O., a post office box number, and they had a post office box number

We could probably halve the length of the transcript if we cut it down to semantically meaningful/new statements.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42785 on: January 04, 2021, 06:24:22 am »

Note that the real thrust of this phonecall, is to try to compel the Georgia official to hand over information that can be used to personally identify voters with their votes. (Signatures.)

This is a very clear-cut violation of this particular bit of legal code.

https://www.usip.org/sites/default/files/MC1/MC1-Part2Section15.pdf

It has the following to say about it.

Article 180: Violating Confidentiality in VotingArticle

180.1: Definition of Offense

A person commits the criminal offense of   violating confidentiality in  voting when he   or   she:
     (a)   by use of   force, serious threat, corruption, or   deception, or   in  any other unlawful manner;
     (b)   demands a person to  reveal how he   or   she voted.

Commentary

The  term corruption  is  referred  to  in  Article  180.1
    (a).  For  a  description  of  the elements  of  the  criminal  acts  involved  in  corruption,  reference  should  be  made  to Article 138 (“Corruption Involving a Public Official”).Article 180.2:

Penalty
     1. The applicable penalty range for the criminal offense of   violating confidenti-ality in  voting is  one to  five years’ imprisonment.
     2.     The court may impose a fine, as   a principal penalty, upon a person convicted of   violating confidentiality in  voting.

The violation would be carried to both the Georgia official that reveals that information, AND to the president, which would be the one principally demanding the information, in violation of the law.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42786 on: January 04, 2021, 06:32:13 am »

Lordy, there are tapes.

As luck would have it, it's also a state crime. So no federal pardoning out of this one.

I listened to the excerpts, and I'm not sure there's a criminal case going off of what is heard. Trump claimed that there's fraud Raffensperger is aware of (that Trump just made him aware of,) and that by not reporting it he'll be in legal trouble (as an accessory.) What constitutes a threat is subjective, but you'd probably need more than just that to convince a jury.

"Finding votes" in the context of the excerpts is finding invalid votes to throw out. It's not clear where the audio has been clipped, but I doubt it's been done in a way that makes Trump seem less criminal, given the source.

Given the source of the phone call, I have zero belief that Donald Trump has any interest in the rule of law or democracy, other than what furthers his self interests.  And what really bothers me is the Cult of Personality that has been growing to believe him as The One True God.  It seems a portion of our country wants to head the way of North Korea.

The people voted, the votes were counted.  Recounts were called for, and done.  Legal challenges were made, and dismissed for lack of evidence or lack of witnesses willing to testify under oath.  Biden won, Trump lost.  That is democracy in action, no matter who you voted for.

People calling for blood in the streets if their candidate (who did not win) isn't put in power, or leaders trying to strong-arm others into "finding votes" is NOT democracy.  Sounds more like sedition & treason to me.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42787 on: January 04, 2021, 06:44:17 am »

I am using a firefox extension to pull the full phone call recording from the NYT article.  I will put it on my google drive. Give me a bit.

Here is a deeplink into the NYT server.
https://static.nytimes.com/podcasts/2021/01/03/us/03audio-trump-audio-full-bleeps/trump-audio-bleeps.mp3

Here it is in my google drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u__xJiIIzFfDw-UPwoxlAVQzazMR2Kdh/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:48:23 am by wierd »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42788 on: January 04, 2021, 06:57:00 am »

Thanks wierd, by the way I recommend listening to it. It was fun until I thought of the poor guys in Georgia

This is some great sampling material.

Dang he even mocks them by forecasting my pity (EDIT: that I posted earlier in the recording) for them at 1 hour in

Quite mean

Democrats or maybe just liberals should talk about making a coalition with non-Trumpist, the unfairly RINOs who did some right, to explore the idea of a coalition platform down the road. After all who kmows, maybe it goes sideways somehow for both groups.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:16:41 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42789 on: January 04, 2021, 07:26:44 am »

It IS a full hour of candid speech, which is plenty to train a deepfake AI.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42790 on: January 04, 2021, 07:32:59 am »

I don't care what Trump does next; someone needs to ascertain where assets and people were moved from/to during his 4 years and where future money was allocated.There is going to be some crime in there, besides the not-quite-crimes, and some of those who still shout "election fraud" are doing something different with their hands, trying to obscure or delete records of criminal activities.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42791 on: January 04, 2021, 12:38:29 pm »

Were there really 18,325 votes in Georgia with no address and is it true that such votes should not be counted? Where is he getting that number?

Could I get sources in relation to this?

EDIT: And I agree that it sounds like Trump is asking the Georgia politician to further investigate possible fraud. It seems misleading to call that "pressuring them to change the results of the election".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:41:05 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42792 on: January 04, 2021, 01:37:06 pm »

I don't even know if Trump is serious about the "We’d be getting 25 to 30,000 people a rally, and the competition would get less than 100 people, and it never made sense," part. That's an opener, so not even posited as a (counter-)argument to some actual voting fact. But you see this repeated by supporting Twitterers as "you don't understand basic math if you think this is right"[1] and "it is statistically impossible..."[2] and so at this point, in the case of Trump and his Trumpettes you can only plump for dishonest or (self-)deluded. Or both.

Those (up to) 30,000 people jamming in to praise Trump might have been the only ones motivated to attend out of the entire state. And you can't compare them with a specially invited and/or chosen-by-lottery deliberately small crowd, yet it appears to be a significant part of the argument they use. (Again, dishonest or deluded.)

I don't need to tell you lot this, I know. But, you know, Biden is at least more popular than the Moon!  Only a dozen people ever bothered to go there (to land...a further 14 went round it but never could be bothered to stop off, which shows just how keen on going they weren't). In comparison, it's probable that 70-odd people at a time wanted to fly between Moscow and Sochi in the Tu-154 "Crusty" jet airliner, in regular (possibly multiple times daily) flights in the same year. No more than two people at a time wanted to go to the Moon, and that is why the Apollo Programme was such a massive failure...

(Anyway, when you start with that, you just know that there's not much else to be said. Not that it'll necessary stop me.)

[1] Whereas the reality is that they (purport to) fail understand ever so slightly advanced math(amatic)s...

[2] To which the classic Princess Bride quote fits nicely as a response...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42793 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:11 pm »

Were there really 18,325 votes in Georgia with no address and is it true that such votes should not be counted? Where is he getting that number?

Could I get sources in relation to this?

EDIT: And I agree that it sounds like Trump is asking the Georgia politician to further investigate possible fraud. It seems misleading to call that "pressuring them to change the results of the election".
Note this is all in context of over a month of investigations and (failed) legal actions from all sorts or folks, that found roughly fuckall legitimately out of order. It absolutely is pressure when there's nothing there, both sides of the conversation have every reason to be entirely aware there's nothing there, and one of the folks is saying find it anyway.

So far as the vacant address thing goes, near as I can tell from searching the "source" on that is trump's ass. Only mention at all I can find that wasn't quoting him was from the better part of a decade ago where a local news thing went looking and found sub three digit cases that might have been that, assuming the group in question wasn't screwing things up or whatever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StevieRay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42794 on: January 04, 2021, 03:14:35 pm »

I think people can just be a bit sensitive at times and need to keep things light  8). If you look at the definition of scumbag across a number of different dictionaries, it literally just means an unpleasant, offensive, or despicable person...
Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3569