Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2845 2846 [2847] 2848 2849 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255137 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42690 on: December 17, 2020, 05:52:26 pm »

Ur-Fascism by Umberto Eco. Lists all the elements that facism can have (but having any one of them is already enough).

EDIT: going to find a version not behind a paywall. EDIT 2: Changed the link
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:58:46 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42691 on: December 17, 2020, 06:02:13 pm »

But now facism means anthing you dont like, even literal booktext examples of facists spew facism as an insult.

If there's one thing fascist hate, its other fascists.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42692 on: December 17, 2020, 06:08:39 pm »

Why should Britain get to skip the line? The British negotiating position is a lot weaker now as they’re heading inexorably toward losing unfettered access to one of the largest markets in the world.
Of the USA's top 10 trade waifus, the USA doesn't have a trade agreement with China, Germany, the UK, Switzerland, Taiwan and Vietnam in order of trade volume. China and Taiwan are difficult; even if you ignore Washington's current pivot against China, you choose one and you make a trade agreement with the other impossible. The US-Japan trade agreement was concluded last year. USA-German trade negotiations via the EU-US TTIP negotiations failed courtesy of Dolan. A US-EU trade agreement may be able to resume negotiations upon the change of office. That just leaves the UK, Switzerland and Vietnam. Of those three, the UK is the largest, closest aligned, with a considerable overlap in direct foreign investment between both nations, trade between both nations and the movement of workers between both nations. Most importantly, the UK is unlike Switzerland and Vietnam, actually pursuing a US-UK trade agreement. If the USA would rather prioritise a trade deal with China fair enough, but if that's not happening then there's no one else without a trade deal which conducts this much business in and out of America.

Sort of off-topic, and the discussion has moved on, but I can't helping noting that in the last day or so the US labeled both Switzerland and Vietnam as 'currency manipulators'.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55337323
The US said 10 other countries also warranted monitoring, including China, Japan, South Korea and Germany. It further added Taiwan, Thailand and India to the watch list.
hahhahaha  (I'll spare everyone my venomous take)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42693 on: December 17, 2020, 06:11:59 pm »

Why should Britain get to skip the line? The British negotiating position is a lot weaker now as they’re heading inexorably toward losing unfettered access to one of the largest markets in the world.
Of the USA's top 10 trade waifus, the USA doesn't have a trade agreement with China, Germany, the UK, Switzerland, Taiwan and Vietnam in order of trade volume. China and Taiwan are difficult; even if you ignore Washington's current pivot against China, you choose one and you make a trade agreement with the other impossible. The US-Japan trade agreement was concluded last year. USA-German trade negotiations via the EU-US TTIP negotiations failed courtesy of Dolan. A US-EU trade agreement may be able to resume negotiations upon the change of office. That just leaves the UK, Switzerland and Vietnam. Of those three, the UK is the largest, closest aligned, with a considerable overlap in direct foreign investment between both nations, trade between both nations and the movement of workers between both nations. Most importantly, the UK is unlike Switzerland and Vietnam, actually pursuing a US-UK trade agreement. If the USA would rather prioritise a trade deal with China fair enough, but if that's not happening then there's no one else without a trade deal which conducts this much business in and out of America.

Sort of off-topic, and the discussion has moved on, but I can't helping noting that in the last day or so the US labeled both Switzerland and Vietnam as 'currency manipulators'.
The US said 10 other countries also warranted monitoring, including China, Japan, South Korea and Germany. It further added Taiwan, Thailand and India to the watch list.
Oh man I had perfect timing making that post

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42694 on: December 18, 2020, 10:21:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She didn't learn anything from the Pope getting caught liking a sex worker's ass?

You came here to tell us you aren't going to post?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42695 on: December 18, 2020, 10:35:36 am »

Klobuchar doesn't give a fuck. Hating CIA Pete is literally the only cool thing about her, she wants you to know it.

What's he gonna do, put polonium in her coffee?

Shame it's not true, but I'd like to think Klob really would like that post.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:39:21 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42696 on: December 18, 2020, 10:39:00 am »

The answer might surprise you!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42697 on: December 18, 2020, 12:56:25 pm »

(Noting that I take objection to Snopes inviting me to remove the ads, which actually are a little jumpingly annoying but mostly surv8vabls, by my becoming a founder member. That ship has surely sailed!)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #42698 on: December 18, 2020, 03:10:20 pm »

That ship has surely sailed!

MOSTLY TRUE

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42699 on: December 18, 2020, 06:30:13 pm »

Meanwhile, Trump refuses to comment at all on the massive Russian hack.
Amongst others, one of the targets of the hack was the US department of Energy, which is responsible for the nuclear arsenal.
While the US government's cyber watchdog raised all the alarms, and warned that the hack poses a 'serious risk', for the fifth day in a row, the Trumpfuck did not react to it at all.
Soon to be president Biden did react, and warned the Russians with firm language.

Republican senator Mitt Romney urged Trump to come with an 'aggressive reaction'  soon, to warn Putin that he cannot get away with this.
"This is like a Russian bomber flew over our country, and over our capital. To not react is stunning".

The democrats too are flabberghasted that Trump has not reacted to what is likely the largest hack in US history.

Several government departments, including the departments of Finance, Trade, Economic Affairs and Energy were intruded by the hackers.
Among other things, they could intercept and alter all mail traffice in those departments.
It is not yet clear ho much damage has been done.
Especially the ministry of Energy being hacked is very sensitive, since this is the department responsible for maintnance of the US nuclear arsenal.

"This is de facto a declaration of war by the Russians, we need to take this seriously", says democratic senator Dick Durbin.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42700 on: December 18, 2020, 06:34:43 pm »

Oh, god. Not a war on top of everything else.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42701 on: December 18, 2020, 06:43:37 pm »

There's no real chance of a shooting war. Sanctions and economic strongarming are the proper responses to something like this.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42702 on: December 18, 2020, 07:51:20 pm »

Yeah, it has only been revealed as an act of espionage, not sabotage  Something the US commonly gets up to around the world - memories of Merkel's phone.  So far extent of 'damage' is only informational.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42703 on: December 18, 2020, 07:55:07 pm »

Yeah, it has only been revealed as an act of espionage, not sabotage  Something the US commonly gets up to around the world - memories of Merkel's phone.  So far extent of 'damage' is only informational.

If you could espionage, sabotage can't be that much harder, no?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42704 on: December 18, 2020, 08:01:25 pm »

If you could espionage, sabotage can't be that much harder, no?

Depends.  Reading someone's email for find out the number of nukes, or their location, is much much easier than actually doing something with those nukes, like launching, or deactivating, them.

By the by the US government has repeatedly claimed that military networks were not infiltrated only civiian ones.
Pages: 1 ... 2845 2846 [2847] 2848 2849 ... 3570