Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255053 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42675 on: December 17, 2020, 01:59:23 pm »

guy in the liferaft with a hook-for-a-hand (who has a nasty look in his eye, also apparently unbothered by the slow leak he already caused for himself)

Guy with hook and nasty look: Europe Union pretty much wants to benefit off us now, or at the very least see us burn
Slow leak already caused for himself: European Union gets along about as well as Scots with other Scots.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42676 on: December 17, 2020, 02:05:07 pm »

That's a pretty hot take given the UK is leaving the boat. I think your interpretation of the metaphor would be better served by thinking up a description of the first boat's captain instead, since Starver only gave a description of the hook-handed fellow.

Which, again, would be the US in this metaphor.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42677 on: December 17, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »

What else could he potentially do? Declare "Viernes Fiesta" were every American has to wear traditional mexican hats and eat tacos?

There's some duplication with things previously mentioned, but (in no particular order):
  • Pardons. He's reportedly trying to hand these out like candy.
  • Arms sales. Congress can subsequently pass legislation to block one, but this seldom succeeds as it need 2/3 to beat a veto. (See the recent UAE arms sale, linked to one of the Israel agreements.)
  • Other diplomacy. E.g. the Morocco-Israel agreement involved the US recognizing a Moroccan claim over the disputed region of Western Sahara, something that few/no other countries have done.
  • A government shutdown. He could refuse to sign / veto the upcoming omnibus, and congress may fail to override a veto.
  • 'Not funding the troops'. He's likely to veto the recently-passed National Defense Authorization Act, though there's a pretty good chance Congress will override the veto around Christmas time (plus or minus a few days).
  • Finalize various 'midnight' regulations. These run quite a gamut of potential policies (everything from immigration to civil service) but can always be reversed by the incoming Biden administration. How easily that's done depends on a number of factors, though the Trump administration is pushing some pretty Out There stuff.
  • Take a military action. That's from a random bombing/assassination to a full-fledged war. Military has reportedly already talked him down from taking 'targeted' actions in Iran. Congress has ways of pushing back on this, but for the last few decades has been exceptionally weak actually doing that.
  • Prosecutorial discretion? E.g. DACA was that. Can't say I've heard any rumors on this, but Trump could theoretically attempt to not enforce various federal laws for the next few weeks. But practically it's probably easier/funner for him to stick to pardons on this front.

I'm sure I'm missing some items.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42678 on: December 17, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »

I think the word you're looking for is "WE are heading inexorably..."  ;D

I haven't lived in the UK for 6, call it 7, years, and all the people I know (sans you lot on B12) back there don’t want to be in the UK no more, and most assuredly would not ever vote for the current... well, I use the word “government” carefully as they don’t seem to be much good at it. It is very much a second-person view point from me :p

A deal negotiated with an idiot now
Is better than
A deal negotiated with someone who hates us never.

Now, part of the deal in question is presumably the UK making concessions for the removal of the tariffs that Trump decided to enact.

That’s like the playground bully taking your lunch money, and then demanding you buy them something for lunch to get your lunch money back.

Biden doesn’t strike me as a cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face kinda guy, so despite his distaste toward the Brits, I’m not sure that would necessarily get in the way of negotiations, but I am probably giving him so much benefit of the doubt as I’m just happy to not have to hear about whatever idiocy Trump has engaged in almost every day once he leaves office, like how I’m looking forward to not having to listen to really shitty cover versions of Christmas songs at work after next week.

it cannot come soon enough

guy in the liferaft with a hook-for-a-hand (who has a nasty look in his eye, also apparently unbothered by the slow leak he already caused for himself)

Guy with hook and nasty look: Europe Union pretty much wants to benefit off us now, or at the very least see us burn
Slow leak already caused for himself: European Union gets along about as well as Scots with other Scots.

Scots are only horrible to the people they actually like!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42679 on: December 17, 2020, 03:13:04 pm »

I don't understand why UK doesn't just stop brexiting at like any point in time, considering it was barely popular voting wise, its been delayed like five times, and the more it progresses the more overwhelmingly bad for the UK such a move is revealed to be.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42680 on: December 17, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »

I don't understand why UK doesn't just stop brexiting at like any point in time, considering it was barely popular voting wise, its been delayed like five times, and the more it progresses the more overwhelmingly bad for the UK such a move is revealed to be.

The Brits are a cut-off-their-nose-to-spite-their-face kinda people.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42681 on: December 17, 2020, 03:22:12 pm »

You probably don't understand due to your deep-seated hatred of the British people due to your Kenyan heritage.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42682 on: December 17, 2020, 03:29:03 pm »

This is like shooting yourself in the foot, but you decided to use a powder-and-ball musket that takes like a minute to reload.  And the last four shots missed but you're gonna scrub out that barrel, get a new ball, and carefully measure out the black powder to try again.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42683 on: December 17, 2020, 03:34:12 pm »

This is like shooting yourself in the foot, but you decided to use a powder-and-ball musket that takes like a minute to reload.  And the last four shots missed but you're gonna scrub out that barrel, get a new ball, and carefully measure out the black powder to try again.

They’re really good at the whole nose-cutting thing. They will try as long as possible to look as though they know what they’re doing, even if they don’t have a clue, everyone else knows they don’t have have a clue, and they know everyone else knows they don’t have a clue.

They’ll never ask for help either.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42684 on: December 17, 2020, 04:11:00 pm »

But I actually do want Brazil to do well ;-;
Haha, no. A recent poll had the result that 52% of the population thinks the Bozo is not responsible for the astounding number of covid deaths.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42685 on: December 17, 2020, 04:35:47 pm »

But I actually do want Brazil to do well ;-;
Haha, no. A recent poll had the result that 52% of the population thinks the Bozo is not responsible for the astounding number of covid deaths.
Jesus Christ I had to look it up because I thought it couldn't be right

It is worth noting that we (UK) are beyond the final final final deadline for sorting out things with the EU, and into an extension of the final final final talks[1].
Bruh Mr Bones wild ride never ends. We have gone through so many negotiations, transitionary periods, extensions, flextensions, brextensions and emergency trasitionary extensions that I have absolute certainty in the year 3011 we'll be discussing the preliminary penultimate sunken UK-Euroblimp Union negotiation era

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42686 on: December 17, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »

The funny thing is what's probably going to happen is that Brexit will fail to mean Brexit all the way past Boomerfall: Uckland Edition, resulting in a future government trying to cancel Brexit and being informed by the EU that this will not be accepted because muh privileges, and literally reversing the situation into one where what remains of the UK can never finish joining the EU.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42687 on: December 17, 2020, 05:33:43 pm »

Meanwhile, in Texas.....

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/16/946995614/ex-houston-police-officer-charged-in-attack-over-bogus-election-fraud-plot

Got paid $250k by the same guy that tried to get votes thrown out in Texas, to stalk a guy and try to prove he was involved in election fraud.

Can something still be charged under the RICO act if it's stated purpose was to try to thwart something criminal? Because that's just fucked up. He was basically paid hitman money to go after a fucking AC repair man on the basis of nothing except "surveillance." And yes, the after the fact investigation into the victim's home found exactly zero evidence that he had anything to do with voting at all.

I hope the dude that paid him gets the slammer for this. The combination of money, politics and hysteria is reaching obvious levels of criminality when it culminates in something like this.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:37:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42688 on: December 17, 2020, 05:38:40 pm »

The funny thing is what's probably going to happen is that Brexit will fail to mean Brexit all the way past Boomerfall: Uckland Edition, resulting in a future government trying to cancel Brexit and being informed by the EU that this will not be accepted because muh privileges, and literally reversing the situation into one where what remains of the UK can never finish joining the EU.
Oh yes, that'd begin the BrexIN BrexOUT BrexIN negotiations

Meanwhile, in Texas.....

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/16/946995614/ex-houston-police-officer-charged-in-attack-over-bogus-election-fraud-plot

Got paid $250k by the same guy that tried to get votes thrown out in Texas, to stalk a guy and try to prove he was involved in election fraud.

Can something still be charged under the RICO act if it's stated purpose was to try to thwart something criminal? Because that's just fucked up. He was basically paid hitman money to go after a fucking plumber on nothing but "surveillance." And yes, the after the fact investigation into the victim's home found exactly zero evidence that he had anything to do with voting at all.
Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg said Aguirre "crossed the line from dirty politics to commission of a violent crime and we are lucky no one was killed."
I know everything is facism in 2020 but this is literally fascism. Hired ex-security forces doing vigilante political intimidation tactics to subvert election outcomes. This is fascism right?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42689 on: December 17, 2020, 05:50:43 pm »

The most strict and simple definition of it is a system were EVERYTHING is within the state, or the party currently holding the power, while being intensively "nationalist" or exagerating the "pratriotness". If you are outside the state you have no rigths or are a enemy of it by action or inaction.

I live in a place with much shades of this btw.

But now facism means anthing you dont like, even literal booktext examples of facists spew facism as an insult.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 3570