Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2841 2842 [2843] 2844 2845 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255921 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42630 on: December 14, 2020, 10:08:09 pm »

I would advise y'all to keep in mind that it ain't truly over until the cheeto is actually out of the position. By all means, celebrate; just a reminder that fash rarely step down willingly.

Now, I don't expect Trump to actually pull out a coup... but who knows how far the tantrum will go.

I'm more concerned about what kinda bullshit is gonna ensue if he just sits there and refuses to concede. It's less about whether he'll pull a coup vs. this scenario being (as far as I'm aware) uncharted territory. The lack of a concession this late already seems uncommon, but who knows what kind of chaos and partisan fuckery is going to ensue if ex-president Duck has to make them kick him out.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42631 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:06 pm »

The Secret Service is trained and experienced in dealing with White House trespassers. They will have no trouble with him if he refuses to leave.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42632 on: December 14, 2020, 11:17:21 pm »

Something else to realize is that this kind of obstructionism and refusing to accept election results was very common in the South during Reconstruction. When I remember that, it helps to make it clear that we aren't living in unprecedented times -- honestly, in many ways, we're living in normal times.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42633 on: December 15, 2020, 01:13:55 am »

Something else to realize is that this kind of obstructionism and refusing to accept election results was very common in the South during Reconstruction. When I remember that, it helps to make it clear that we aren't living in unprecedented times -- honestly, in many ways, we're living in normal times.

True, resistance from political opponents is expected. The part I was reasoning felt like unfamiliar territory was the idea of especially a top-down dispute of the election's results. Historically yeah, lower-level politicians refusing to cooperate is practically par for the course, with the Reconstruction having many examples of that.

I just can't recall if we've had a case yet where a president is voted out and attempts to say "no, I'm staying" even after the EC votes are finalized. I'm hopeful it wouldn't be successful, but I don't know what the long-term effects will be once the resulting precedent is set. That's one of those "undermining democracy" things while the real threat is in what people end up doing after this mess is over.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42634 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:28 am »

Vector doesn't like to be quoted. It is in her sig.

Meanwhile, the defeated party cinceding is literally meaningless. There is no legal requirenent to do so. The Electoral College has voted, and either Biden or (in the event of catastrophe) Harris will become POTUS on January 20.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:46:31 am by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42635 on: December 15, 2020, 01:49:54 am »

But Trump REALLY REALLY wanted to be president for 2 terms! Like, REALLY REALLY!!!!

He even paid lots of money! /s

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42636 on: December 15, 2020, 04:53:25 am »

I think the most dangerous part of Trump refusing to concede is a lack of a briefing to the incoming president.  While if I understand correctly trump made a token appearance of cooperation, Biden has been excluded from every important briefing, which seems unusual.

Though admittedly trump himself has not been attending them either, according to what I've been hearing.  Trump supposedly won't even be present for the inauguration, instead opting to throw a pity party for himself down here in Florida.  And he certainly doesn't seem to be doing the job he wants to keep so much, I've seen more unique images of Donald Trump golfing that I've seen of him speaking to the country as a leader since the election, and I'm counting those speeches where he claims the democrats cheated, because he cheated so hard that the only way democrats won was if they cheated too.

He even paid lots of money! /s
I see the /s but I still want to say, he didn't pay lots of money.  He convinced a lot of cities to give him loans so he could do a rally in their cities, and has refused to pay up.  He also got the post office to send out a lot of mail for him that he also refuses to pay for.  Its partially why when he paid for the recounts(that he lost lol) he had to pay up front.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:59:19 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42637 on: December 15, 2020, 05:44:45 am »

The threat is that an incompetent coup attempt makes us complacent for the next coup attempt.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42638 on: December 15, 2020, 06:22:01 am »

I'm not sure I like the idea of calling this a coup.  He has a right to contest the election results, and thus far he has done so legally(by all appearances anyway).  He is definitely toeing the line with his posturing and public appearances, and by not conceding defeat, and it's certainly not good for the country, but calling it an attempted coup? Nah, I don't buy the hype. 

I could be wrong, he could tell his proud boys to storm the capital tomorrow or order the military to mass to defend the white house from 'traitors' in January.  But I think he is simply trying to divide the country politically for either his own ends to make more people to buy his book, or for the republican party to somehow get an advantage out of this.  I think all the news people calling this a coup are just trying to get clicks.  If he wanted to coup, he would have done so before members of his own party started bailing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:26:10 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42639 on: December 15, 2020, 06:56:35 am »

If he wanted to coup, he would have done so before members of his own party started bailing.
I mean... if he were competent, sure? But, y'know. He ain't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42640 on: December 15, 2020, 07:18:40 am »

'Can' and 'Should' are different things. It's not being described as a 'coup' because he can't challenge the results, it's being described as such because he shouldn't because no sane person would actually think these legal challenges hold any water. So they can't be viewed as anything but disingenuous.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:20:18 am by MorleyDev »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42641 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:40 am »

My strongest bet is in smoke and mirrors and then a quick dash out to the closest library to sell his books.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42642 on: December 15, 2020, 09:37:32 am »

I think it is brilliant. President Trump is the greatest con-man since the last prophet. All those donation will keep flowing like spice as long he is 'fighting' and there is a good chance that he will establish a lasting legacy with this narrative. It is like the Emperor's New Clothes just with Trump being tailor and regent in personal union, where every party child trying to point out the obvious is smacked into submission.

Don't worry, electoral college doesn't count. Votes will be overturned anyway at January 6, if we continue uncovering all those evidence. Just keep donating - you don't really need to eat every day.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42643 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:50 am »

"Art of the deal" is really the "Art of roping in rubes."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42644 on: December 15, 2020, 11:11:16 am »

"Art of the deal" is really the "Art of roping in rubes."

Art of the Steal