Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3571

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4260581 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42360 on: November 28, 2020, 06:54:24 pm »

I agree with all of that but we're animals.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42361 on: November 28, 2020, 07:21:36 pm »

Heaven forfend we admit that we are more than cattle. We'd have to hold ourselves to a standard above instinct.

And no, it's not "arguably worse", sir. In your home state of Michigan, your lockdown that lasted into June saved lives. You were the site of multiple high-publicity campaigns to ReOpEN THe ECoNoMY, whereupon your Governor acquiesced. In MY home state of VA, we've been under state-mandated measures of containment since March, and we're one of the least affected areas in the nation. Our unemployment has gone up 0.7%, we're not exactly entering poverty in droves. Turns out heaps of sick and/or dying people is bad for the economy.

The super brave freedom squad sure did get to do it's thing, but it turns out you can't openly proclaim your intent to ignore a pandemic and then throw up your hands like you don't know why everyone is sick.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42362 on: November 28, 2020, 07:53:39 pm »

Unemployment might not be the best metric to use, as it misses people who have left the workforce as a result of covid. If, like me, you're scared of catching it and have no way of getting a remotely safe job, you're not going to keep looking for work.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42363 on: November 28, 2020, 08:02:14 pm »

I'm saying that MI's lockdown process - the starting it and letting it stop - is worse than if we did something different; I'd posit we took the worst possible approach with an initial lockdown that was too long and fomented too much unrest, so when things let up, people responded the other way; I'd have thought the initial lockdown only needed to be 4-7 weeks, not 15.  The fact that it went 15+ weeks and then stopped was just dumb.

I'm glad that VA has a better outcome of things.

I don't have the fortitude for it, but I'd be curious to see how COVID breaks down across more demographics. At a high level I wonder how much has to do with the fact that VA has a much lower poverty rate and much higher median income than MI - does that have more of an impact than whatever mandates are in place? What about industry split? MI is heavily manufacturing based (630k manufacturing jobs in 2018), whereas VA is much less (only 240k in 2018).
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42364 on: November 28, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »

I am angry about COVID things and I appreciate everyone being understanding whilst I vented somewhat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42365 on: November 28, 2020, 08:18:39 pm »

No worries Dunamisdeos - we are all in the same situation.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42366 on: November 28, 2020, 08:47:34 pm »

I'm a Michigander as well Mctraveller, and I'd say that a little bit of social unrest is preferable to loads of covid cases. If anything, I'd say that any possible unrest was caused by the flipflopping, leading people to be confused about the severity of the situation and suspicious of the competence of our Governor, Gretchen Whitmer. Inconstancy is always surer to produce doubt than otherwise.

I would say it was always in our leaders' best interest to be turgid and vigilant, to always be browbeating the masses for the kind of lackadaisical attitude that might spread the infection further. Doing anything else only comforts the common enemy, Covid, and the fact that they have done anything else only compounds the larger belief in governmental incompetence and immorality.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42367 on: November 28, 2020, 08:53:10 pm »

... anyway, anyone else notice the Wisconsin recount? To quote someone else's response,
3 million dollars to lose harder *chef kiss*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42368 on: November 28, 2020, 10:38:09 pm »

At a high level I wonder how much has to do with the fact that VA has a much lower poverty rate and much higher median income than MI - does that have more of an impact than whatever mandates are in place? What about industry split? MI is heavily manufacturing based (630k manufacturing jobs in 2018), whereas VA is much less (only 240k in 2018).

The simple, reductive answer is VA has a democrat for a governor, and MI has a republican one.

VA is a strange state, and often a battleground one for a reason.  Northern VA is basically a big suburb for DC, and a lot of big business there either IS the federal government (like me), or is contracted from the government (my dad).  A lot of people commute into DC or around the beltway, or the Great Falls area if you're into that.  As you can guess a lot of that stuff is office bullshit, and its not super hard to make work-from-home work.  This area votes blue.

In my experience taking 66 west far enough, or 95 south past Fredricksburg and you may as well be in a different state.  Its a much bigger emphasis on rural farming, and occasionally manufacturing.  The tobacco trade is somehow still alive and well, I'd pass by a big Marlboro factory on the way.  This area votes red.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42369 on: November 28, 2020, 11:13:26 pm »

The fearful man dies a thousand times, the brave man dies only once. Stop being dead.

I too played Rome Total War and read the loading screen tips.

I smiled, so you win.

"Nobody I know is dying, so I don't have to care."

On the contrary. Everyone I know is dying, as am I, as are you. I made that abundantly clear.

You don’t appeared to have internalized the logical conclusion of this that any course of action is thus pointless in the face of your inevitable non-existence.

Like, nothing you do matters, so why even make the effort of arguing? It changes nothing, even if you succeed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42370 on: November 28, 2020, 11:26:26 pm »

I can't imagine he's going to actually pay up the three million, though. It is nice to see Wisconsin go 132 votes bluer, though I'm sure the rural towns hate it.
Pretty sure he had to pay up front, actually? Unless that was one of the other states...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42371 on: November 29, 2020, 12:12:22 am »

I can't imagine he's going to actually pay up the three million, though. It is nice to see Wisconsin go 132 votes bluer, though I'm sure the rural towns hate it.
Pretty sure he had to pay up front, actually? Unless that was one of the other states...

They got the wire transfer on the 18th, so yep - had to pay up front. Of course it's not Trump who had to pay so much as all the donors who keep pumping money into his campaign post-election...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42372 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:12 am »

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42373 on: November 29, 2020, 12:41:48 am »

Ah, no wonder they tried to siege her with firearms.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42374 on: November 29, 2020, 01:06:20 am »

Yeah, MI having poor virus performance has a lot to do with the notably republican legislature preventing Whitener from extending measures. Not that Whitmer did a great job imo.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3571