Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2798 2799 [2800] 2801 2802 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241330 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41985 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:52 pm »

The real bitch of it seems to be that nobody except the fascists was willing to countenance the idea they shared the nation with a bunch of goddamn fucking fascists.

I even let myself start to expect that Trump being such a colossal unappealing fuckup and doing every wrong thing he can might just result in his bullshit being roundly rejected by all but the most craven bitchboi nazi fucks.

So after seeing him get 72 million votes and just under a couple weeks out from the election we're closing in on 200k new covid cases each day... the takeway seems to be one of two things:

I was wrong because you don't have to be a nazi to love the stupid orange cunt, as long as you're a stupid piece of shit, and we are sharing a nation with millions upon millions of stupid motherfuckers that function on the same mental level as a herd of cattle, a herd which don't seem to mind being directed into ever shittier situations by fucking nazis.

or

I was right to think nobody but a bunch of fascist fucking shitsuckers would willingly support that stupid orange bitchbaby shitnazi, but I vastly underestimated the number of people who are totally fucking down with riding the trumptrain into a fascist dystopian hellhole because there are apparently millions of these stupid garbagenazi racist pieces of shit out there.

I'm not sure which is more depressing honestly, though I feel it'll probably be a bit of column A and a bit of column B where all the stupid fucking cattle have been primed and bred stupid so long that they'll start goose-stepping into the slaughterhouse happily even when you tell them they're being used as pawns by nazis because "hurr hurr, libruls hate nazis!"

It's the reverse of Farnworth's "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" for me, I want to put them all on boats, let them have a dumbfuck parade out into the fucking ocean, and hurl the ocean into the sun.

I mean, I've been pretty jaded about how shitty people here can be to each other for as long as I can remember, but I really didn't expect us to sink this low this fast. I kept some sort of... I guess the closest thing would be hope that the average person wasn't that awful, hope just makes the disappointment that much more heartbreaking doesn't it?

Reagan was a piece of shit and the best thing he ever did was fucking die, the heirs to his hateful legacy are all pieces of shit too, but goddamn, they weren't fucking openly cheering on a fascist takeover in the midst of a full on governmental collapse with a tally of over a quarter of a million completely pointless and preventable american deaths... I wish I'd been louder and more persuasive about the neonazi outbreak a few years ago, as I'm sure many others who were trying to sound that alarm do, but fuck.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This isn't a victory, it isn't even the first step towards real healing... it's gauze over a large caliber gut wound, I hope we can keep pressure on it long enough to turn things around.
I honestly think it's mostly just a *lot* of A.
The republican machine has been conditioning people for years to get to the point where the truth doesn't matter and the only real truth is whatever you hear on fox or your talk radio no matter how blatant the evidence actually is and what the experts say.
Especially now, where for the past four years Fox news has been saying "Don't trust the experts and security officials telling you Trump is lying or a traitor, trust the compulsively lying Orange Man".

And now once they have done that and Fox news wants them to turn on a dime the educated people there are surprised that people become crazy conspiracy theorists that are disconnected from all the evidence and actually trust the lying Orange Man.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41986 on: November 14, 2020, 02:29:49 pm »

Folks are starting to realize what they've been doing for the last 4 years. They are behaving like addicts who got cut off and don't want to admit they have a problem. These people have been riding high on the Trump hate-train unable or unwilling to concern themselves with the eventual consequences of their actions. Their whole world was based around the idea that they could do or say anything they wanted and that TRUMP AND GOD would stand by them the whole time to make sure nothing bad ever happened because of it. That all just came crashing down. Every day it crashes some more, with failed lawsuits and zero evidence of fraud. Like any addict, they are either going to take responsibility for it, or they are going to retreat deeper into their addiction.

From my end I'm seeing plenty of Christians who were rabid Trump supporters saying things like WOW GUYS have you noticed all the CHRISTAINS who have been SPREADING ALL THIS VILE HATE? I can't believe this WHEN DID THIS START we should DO SOMETHING about this, guys.

On one hand if anything is ever going to change we need these people to wake up and take responsibility for what they have been doing. They are going to need outside-their-bubble help to do it, and rage-response posts don't accomplish that. On the other hand I burn with fury for every single word of the above.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41987 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:38 pm »

The 2016 version of me is so naive to today. Back then, I couldn't fathom that maybe all people wanted was someone that let them be their worst selves; let alone engaging in full-on idolatry for an idiot.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41988 on: November 14, 2020, 08:34:58 pm »

Lot of us feel the same way as you. I sure do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41989 on: November 14, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »

A long history of retail work taught me most people were always this way and its only gotten worse.  There, you'll see how people treat those they see as lesser than them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41990 on: November 15, 2020, 01:45:12 am »

I was wrong because you don't have to be a nazi to love the stupid orange cunt, as long as you're a stupid piece of shit, and we are sharing a nation with millions upon millions of stupid motherfuckers that function on the same mental level as a herd of cattle, a herd which don't seem to mind being directed into ever shittier situations by fucking nazis.

or

I was right to think nobody but a bunch of fascist fucking shitsuckers would willingly support that stupid orange bitchbaby shitnazi, but I vastly underestimated the number of people who are totally fucking down with riding the trumptrain into a fascist dystopian hellhole because there are apparently millions of these stupid garbagenazi racist pieces of shit out there.

Think it may be a third option.  Basically every Republican president or presidential candidate has been called a nazi in some capacity for a couple decades, so normal conservatives started tuning it out.  Then social media started getting big, a lot of the early voices there were in cities due to those being major areas where high speed internet got installed.  Cities that have been pretty solidly democrat for a few decades.  This fucked with the in-person view of the overton window and as the standard range of conservatives started to trickle online as higher speeds spread out, they were seen as much further right than they actually would place if you did a national census of opinions.  This gets a massive block labelled incorrectly online.

Now intermix this with the aspect that elected Republicans put into office not really shifting too much in overall placement on the spectrum as their base isn't too strongly present on the internet for a good chunk of time, but elected Democrats are tuned into it a lot because their areas have been there long term.  So suddenly on the campaign trail, you get them shifting their points to where the perceived overton window considers left in order to remain electable.  And this more rapid shift results in a gulf, and then a split forming with more and more of the population pushed into the far right of the perceived overton window and any labels that come along with it.

And then comes Trump.

Man doesn't act what's considered presidential in the slightest, and the media hammers into him and thanks to this shifted overton window thanks to them being centered in major cities, they hammer with the hardest labels.  Conservatives largely detached from social media consider it business as usual.  And then Trump starts deliberately feeding the media.  The media amplifies in turn.  And he feeds it in turn.  Media starts noticing the Trump Bump and starts to feed into it for business purposes.  Trump feeds it more.  Conservatives check back in for a bit and see the media having gone absolutely rabid.  Some try to calm things down a bit, but this train isn't stopping and the couple, extreme percent that make up most tweets go after them, presuming they are more diehard supporters with all the vitriol the shifted window causes.  At the same time IRL, they go "what the fuck is with these people?" and the extreme right 5% of America's populace are overall chill.

Then comes the election.

Most people check out for the voting.  There's some diehard trump supporters, but a good chunk of the vote is 'well, I'm voting on the rest of the ticket and need to vote for someone but fuck Hillary' and a contingent of spite for either the media or for how the DNC fucked over Bernie.  No one is expecting Trump to win, not without everything talking about Hillary being guaranteed.

And then Trump wins.

Everyone goes nuts, media most especially.  Trump starts getting hammered in the media and the dude kinda thrives in that.  This is the point that over 90% of the right is fully checked out of any mainstream media because they are completely tired of it all.  Occasionally they look back in, but things have only gotten worse.  And then stuff starts to infect its way into other entertainment as marketers think "seems to be popular so why not to get more money?"  This really starts getting to the conservatives as they are wanting to get away from it, and left with little option, their checking out starts to shift towards defense.

During this time, the die-hard trump supporters have not been idle, the furthest fringe taking things to some extremes.  This starts bringing all of the left wing into a fervor, especially the vocal extremes.  Things start pivoting to chase these extremes.  This is when conservatives start to trickle in from checked out to defensive and are met by this wall of extremes.

So now everything's in a complete and utter clusterfuck.  Mainstream media's chasing a lot of what the left that is in 'assail the dictator' mode cares about which is what Trump is doing and being done by the extreme right, while the Right with its now castle mindset is hearing what things Trump is doing right and what things are being done by people on the extreme left.  Everytime something comes up, everyone jumps in with partisan mindsets.  So where once there were once two halves that would have come together for a complete whole, people are operating under two completely different sources of information and rejecting what the other side is saying completely.

Now we come to the Center.  They are viewed a bit more on the right than on a whole nation survey they'd actually land due to the prior mentioned overton shifts, as much as overton can be used anymore in the absolute mire.  They try to maintain their central position, but since they are caught in the crossfire, they start getting pushed.  And with extreme left being on a warpath to stop the dictator and with them supported by hangers on, these center individuals can't really stay where they are.  Some move to support while others get shoved toward the conservatives manning the walls and get greeted by pretty chill standard conservatives, which starts to entrench them in the camp.  Sure there's some extreme right making forays out, but they are more seeing the 'bolt down the hatches' type of right-winger while only majorly coming across 'attack' type left-wingers.

This is not the least helped as some power-trippers in the silicon valley companies that run a lot of social media put some harsher punishments on right and center to 'do their part', which when mixed with the very authoritative state of moderation starts to fire up some internal American 'fuck the authority'.  Especially with terms and conditions being purposely vague to avoid suits making it hard to argue against that sorta thing, the use of AI rather than humans fucking with people, and a ban without limit basically being a death sentence to social life or in some cases like Youtube potential career and income being suddenly shot (both of which make any bugs causing this much worse on perception).

And this brings us to 2020.

First Covid begins striking.  Dems handle the early PR like utter crap.  Complaining about travel restrictions being purely xenophobic and in order to fight it encourage people to go down to the chinatown areas of cities that have them.  This backfires when Covid starts spiraling up out of control and tars them in the minds of conservatives and centrists.  They manage to recover a bit with the whole "Flatten the Curve" stuff.  However, a key point is that it would only be for two weeks, just to allow for hospitals to manage it.  Two weeks come and go.  We remain locked down.  The two mentioned groups thinks its fine, a bit more isn't that bad.  And then it comes to a month and more.  Antipathy from all the above crap plus anti-authoritarian starts to build and would continue to do so til election day.

At the same time, the George Floyd stuff happens.  At first, everyone's going in favor of reform.  And then the riots happen.  Conservatives start getting antsy.  CHAZ is set up.  Conservatives and the centrists had been pushed their direction start getting more antsy.  Mass protests start to form with not everyone having masks while at the same time a few weeks earlier there were complaints directed towards the minor faction of Conservatives that wanted lockdowns to end.  This pisses them off, especially once a narrative that the protests have lower rates of coronavirus spread that just sounds wrong.

All this comes to a head on election day 2020.  There's a few percent of Nazis, a lot more "want 90s" reactionaries that were the primary people Trump's loose plans were for, and a decent percent of dumbasses.  But the massive bulk is neither of them.  But the massive, massive bulk is from people that are just sick of what they've been hammered with for so long and want to give the biggest "fuck you" to the dems they can, and from what they can tell, the best way to do that is to try to get Trump the popular victory in addition to the electoral.

It better be hoped to high heaven that the election results were legit after the audits are done.  Because if things wind up being revealed that there was a large enough scale to flip the election?  There's going to be making some *ridiculously* pissed off people there.

Oh, little thing to show of the overton window stuff I've mentioned.  Is there anyone here that defines their own views as conservative?  May be a couple, but I get the feeling they may be pretty heavily outnumbered...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41991 on: November 15, 2020, 02:25:33 am »

More fraud debunking in case this comes up. This time from Matt Parker of Stand-up Maths channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aokNwKx7gM8&ab_channel=Stand-upMaths

The short gist, and it really is short, is that there's a video by a guy Dr Shiva Ayyadurai, who did a scatter-plot of some specific metrics for Trump in Michigan, notes this declines from left to right, then claims this is proof that Biden was stealing Trump's votes.

The debunk takes about two seconds. If you plot the identical data from Biden's perspective, it looks exactly the same as Trump's. So it proves absolutely nothing and the "Dr" making the video is basically a liar who should have known that. But it's implied that Trump was losing something and therefore Biden was gaining it.

EDIT: The corollary is that there's even one point in the process where they groomed the metric in a way that doesn't actually make any sense. The claim is that votes for Trump as a candidate should positively correlate with votes for GOP as a party, which is fine so far: X should be positively correlated with Y is the claim. But what they actually plotted is X = "Trump Votes%" vs Y = "GOP Votes% - Trump Votes%". The claim was it was done this way because subtracting the Trump Votes% represents "missing votes" for Trump.

However, X was just "Trump Votes%" and they also subtract that value from "GOP Votes%", so they're really plotting X vs Y-X, which by definition skews to a negative correlation. They added -X to their Y values in a correlation plot, but hid it behind confusing terminology and logic. When you remove the trickery you get X being positively correlated with Y, the original claim of how things were supposed to be.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:43:22 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41992 on: November 15, 2020, 06:39:42 am »

Oh, little thing to show of the overton window stuff I've mentioned.  Is there anyone here that defines their own views as conservative?  May be a couple, but I get the feeling they may be pretty heavily outnumbered...

In some ways you could say I am, but I don't think there are many. It's been getting increasingly actively hostile to anyone not left of centre in every way around here over the years; at least, that's the impression I've had, which I'm sure means other people have had it as well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41993 on: November 15, 2020, 06:53:00 am »

In some ways you could say I am, but I don't think there are many. It's been getting increasingly actively hostile to anyone not left of centre in every way around here over the years; at least, that's the impression I've had, which I'm sure means other people have had it as well.

On the first night the Discord went up, there were a few Republicans that showed up, who then disappeared when it looked like they weren't winning anymore. I don't know if Redking put up that link to the channel anywhere other than here, but that would imply there's quite a few Republican lurkers around these parts.

It's odd, that this community is very accepting, and the moderation is very good. We only ask that people behave themselves and (optionally) make coherent sense with their beliefs and ideas. You'd think that there'd be more vocal right leaning people than there are, here in the lower forums.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41994 on: November 15, 2020, 07:06:43 am »

That didn't necessitate multiple Republicans on the forum. Since they showed up in groups, it's more likely the link was dropped in some conservative discord who were doing something similar.

This forum is pretty accepting, Josh, I agree with that. But I know I'm guilty of piling on in this thread - since the most active members on this thread are pretty leftist, I doubt people feel there is much room for a conservative argument to exist without 5+ posters pulling it apart.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #41995 on: November 15, 2020, 07:17:36 am »

I'm center-left leaning towards normal left. Which is about as far right as common opinions in this thread go. Aside from KT and LordBaal I guess but they rarely post. Sometimes I feel I might as well be wearing a swastika armband, compared to certain other users.

However I'm from Russia. here anyone to the left of Putin who isn't a communist is a liberal.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:21:03 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41996 on: November 15, 2020, 09:05:27 am »

One issue is that a lot of the right wing comment on here that you see people complaining that they can't express isn't exactly of the highest quality. For example expressing that America's private health system works great and scare mongering what would happen under a single-payer system (which is easily contradicted since many many countries have that system and those nightmare scenarios didn't happen) isn't a rational position based on a "conservative" viewpoint, it's just delusional and/or deliberately ignorant and being obtuse.

So you get people posting that kind of stuff occasional, then they get mad and talk about how on their conservative discord they're allowed to say that stuff and nobody fact-checks them, and that's what free speech is all about apparently. That's not a problem with people being not allowed to speak, it's a snowflake uncomfortable having to provide sources to justify their opinions.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:11:19 am by Reelya »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41997 on: November 15, 2020, 11:31:47 am »

It's odd, that this community is very accepting, and the moderation is very good. We only ask that people behave themselves and (optionally) make coherent sense with their beliefs and ideas. You'd think that there'd be more vocal right leaning people than there are, here in the lower forums.

The community as a whole is accepting, but when it comes to the political threads, there's a bit of a catch-22.  As noted, there's a decent bias online towards the left of center, as is most of the internet.  When you put a conservative viewpoint, this means there are more people wanting to comment a response about how they see it as wrong.  Get this several times, especially with comments like Reelya's just above this or ones that are worse getting tossed at them, and you kinda start to not want to go in.  Because as social creatures, we innately don't like being totally alone.

And with people constantly getting burned out, there's no real way to try to establish enough numbers.  This causes less people to come and those that do still leave.  This typically comes with a degredation in quality of argument over time, because the people that can well articulate have been exhausted of it all potentially years ago.  So they shift towards expressing their opinions IRL or in conservative communities online so they can discuss various angles of political philosophy without this exhaustion setting in since when you are close together, everyone's got the minor variations that prevent a full monofront from forming.  But get a bit of distance on the political spectrum?  Acts like a wall.

Hell, you'd be able to experience it yourself.  Track down a conservative-leaning forum and you'd find some welcoming people, a few assholes, but you'd steadily experience the exhaustion of having to defend your point from multiple angles no matter how nice the community is.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41998 on: November 15, 2020, 11:41:45 am »

I dunno, I have personally noted a rather strong shift toward center-ish politics here in ameripol, what with the DNC being evicted from its "Ideologically untouchable!!" pedestal by several years of flagrant egotistical bullshit toward the electorate.

5 years ago, mentioning that the DNC was worthy of significant disdain would have gotten you buried up to your damn eyeballs in "FALSE COMPARISON!!!!!!!!!" retorts.  (I have stayed stalwartly centrist, all the same though.)  This is especially true if you phrased it like "It's not like the DNC is much better" or similar. (You could even mention Obama's relentless drone strikes on weddings, and his creation of concentration camps for kids, and still have gotten that treatment.)

These days, the consequences of allowing the executive to do evil unchecked has borne prodigious fruit under the Trump administration.  Trump rightly points out that he did not start those programs, he just used them.

People that pointed out that the executive should not have been creating those programs in the first place (raises hand), got kinda shouted down, that "nobody would ever do that" to justify their man's political adventures.
And yet, here we are.  On the heels of kicking that fucker (who used those policies to their full potential) out, with half the population wanting desperately to keep him in.

Owning up to the reality that both parties are insufferably corrupt, just one slightly less odious about it-- is essential if we want to actually, you know, FIX this damn country.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41999 on: November 15, 2020, 11:52:10 am »

I dunno, I have personally noted a rather strong shift toward center-ish politics here in ameripol, what with the DNC being evicted from its "Ideologically untouchable!!" pedestal by several years of flagrant egotistical bullshit toward the electorate.

5 years ago, mentioning that the DNC was worthy of significant disdain would have gotten you buried up to your damn eyeballs in "FALSE COMPARISON!!!!!!!!!" retorts.  (I have stayed stalwartly centrist, all the same though.)  This is especially true if you phrased it like "It's not like the DNC is much better" or similar. (You could even mention Obama's relentless drone strikes on weddings, and his creation of concentration camps for kids, and still have gotten that treatment.)

These days, the consequences of allowing the executive to do evil unchecked has borne prodigious fruit under the Trump administration.  Trump rightly points out that he did not start those programs, he just used them.

People that pointed out that the executive should not have been creating those programs in the first place (raises hand), got kinda shouted down, that "nobody would ever do that" to justify their man's political adventures.
And yet, here we are.  On the heels of kicking that fucker (who used those policies to their full potential) out, with half the population wanting desperately to keep him in.

Owning up to the reality that both parties are insufferably corrupt, just one slightly less odious about it-- is essential if we want to actually, you know, FIX this damn country.

Things have certainly shifted, but I get the feeling it is less a balance of 1/5 Left, 1/5 Left-Center, 1/5 Center, 1/5 Right-Center, 1/5 Right, and is instead a case of 1/2 Center, 1/4 Left-Center, 1/4 Left with rare sprinkles of Right-Center and Right.  As you yourself note, you got caught up in those retorts a fair bit and as a centrist you were closer politically.  Intensity would only rise with greater distance, and with years of that even noting "things have changed" wouldn't really have too many people eager to come back out of concern it is just a platitude.  Once burned, twice cautious and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 2798 2799 [2800] 2801 2802 ... 3567