Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2796 2797 [2798] 2799 2800 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240541 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41955 on: November 12, 2020, 03:46:46 pm »

That's apparently in the cards for later, but for the time being it mostly seems to be promoting newsmax and oann, whatever the hell those are.
Note that they're (Newsmax, that is) given equal (coarse) slots as Fox for both news and opinion.

And arguable.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:49:34 pm by Starver »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41956 on: November 12, 2020, 10:42:10 pm »

If Trump is serious about legally contending such a one-sided victory, why's he just playing golf all the time? And if he's not being serious, why the fuck is he contending this at all? Is his spite for anything Obama related that high that he'd be willing to drag this out to January for the sheer sake of it, or is he legitimately planning to ignore the fact that he ought to go?
Well the rumor goes that Trump feels like he's gotta contest it just because that's what his base would want him to do. He's apparently both discussing and considering a network (TNN I guess?) and announcing he'd run for President in 2024; in both cases he needs his base lined up behind him.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41957 on: November 12, 2020, 11:01:36 pm »

Everyone's been real optimistic Trump WON'T do the shitty thing and been proven wrong time and again, so I'm just sort of mentally preparing for how a US coup will look when people actually care this time.

(No one cared about Gore.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41958 on: November 13, 2020, 12:24:37 am »

I'm sure there's some Anons who are sure The Storm is happening between now and January Isn't Dec 14 or whatever an important date too, that's the date that the Electoral Council is meant to convene and formally pledge their votes?

EDIT: btw I'm up to the QAnonAnon episode where they found out about Covid, so it's a bit surreal. I'll be at the present in a couple of weeks at this rate. Then I can move on and not be listening to 4 hours of Q-related stuff per day ;)

One highlight I haven't mentioned is that there was some date Q gave, but when that date arrived, nothing happened. But there was an undersea Earthquake in the Indian Ocean that day. So ... QAnons decided that Q's prediction was about that. So the decided that the story was that the Liberal Deep State had a secret deep underwater base in the middle of the ocean, and Trump destroyed it with an earthquake machine.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:31:01 am by Reelya »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41959 on: November 13, 2020, 02:15:18 am »

Everyone's been real optimistic Trump WON'T do the shitty thing and been proven wrong time and again, so I'm just sort of mentally preparing for how a US coup will look when people actually care this time.

(No one cared about Gore.)

Of course Trump will try to stage a coup. It will be the most incompetent coup attempt in the history of ever, so the real question is how it will play out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41960 on: November 13, 2020, 02:32:33 am »

-

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41961 on: November 13, 2020, 02:35:15 am »

Well there's already been a post-election coup on the right, the Proud Boys have had a leadership spill, with the new leader steering the movement in a bold new direction. I think with Trump out of office the faction that was play-acting at being human beings has had enough and drawn a line in the sand.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/explosive-text-reveals-brutal-proud-boys-split/news-story/cd81e50751f8090822fb755fa7e03d70

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All they need now is to tattoo swastikas on their faces and it'll be perfect.

EDIT: this is ahead of a planned Proud Boys "million MAGA March" on Washington. Is it at all alarming that right on the eve of this march right after a disputed election, they've basically shed anything that separates them from the actual Nazi Party and plan to storm the capital.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:40:52 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41962 on: November 13, 2020, 08:19:03 am »

What do you call a coup when it's just a fat orange asshole crossing his arms and kicking his feet crying "NO NO NO I WON'T GO" because he's too much of a loser bitchbaby to accept that the other guy won?

A coup would be Biden storming in with the military after Trump won and taking the big orange turd out on the front lawn to be executed.

You can't coup d'etat the state when you're still currently the state, can you?

I mean given Trump's tendency to take any sort of softball question, layup crisis, or easy win and proceed to bash himself in the teeth with it, I'm sure if he could figure out how he'd try... but it's pretty difficult for someone intelligent to work out how to coup yourself, no chance the big stupid orange fuck is gonna be able to do it.

Getting the military to attack the government on Trump's orders is also gonna be a stretch, I've said several times I'm glad our first proto-fascist president was a completely stupid fucking sack of half-digested-vomited-up-failure and suck, a capable and charismatic motherfucker with zero qualms about fucking shit up to take power is a scary idea given how far //that// stupid fucker got by accident.

On a topic besides my disgust and hate for shitnazis who voted for the big orange shitnazi, his failure shitnazi cronies did make me laugh heartily: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/i-saw-donald-trump-s-presidency-come-crashing-down-at-four-seasons-total-landscaping-b1699962.html

Ha ha ha, fuck you stupid fucking shitnazis.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41963 on: November 13, 2020, 08:55:37 am »

You can't coup d'etat the state when you're still currently the state, can you?

Not stepping down is probably the most common type of coup.

I do agree overall that this won't be a successful one - Trump's attempt doesn't have enough media backing, and the rest of the Republican party are sheepish about jumping in, especially with Georgia deciding Senate control soon and weighing that against feigned democracy.

I also think people aren't recognizing how close to the edge the US currently is. The president just declared a coup and everyone is considering it a political both-sides issue instead of an actual coup. This is the same thing as white terrorists not being called terrorists. I'm very worried about Round Two of this when the Republicans find a personality who is strong and not a facsimilie of stength. This coup with Trump looks like the Republicans testing the waters for when they have someone they have more control over in the president's seat.

Edit: *removes tinfoil hat*

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41964 on: November 13, 2020, 09:27:31 am »

This coup with Trump looks like the Republicans testing the waters for when they have someone they have more control over in the president's seat.

Edit: *removes tinfoil hat*
My impression is more that many Republican politicians are scared by the cult of Trump followers as well, and they don't have the spine to stop the slide into fascism.

It does look like the coup will amount to little more than an obese turtle on his back flailing in the sun, but yeah.. I definitely agree that it America is horribly close to the edge of the cliff. The worst moment so far was seeing Pompeo talking about a transition into a second Trump term, with that stupid smirk. I was never a fan of Pompeo, but I didn't expect him (and many others) to sink this low.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41965 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:44 am »

The Republicans will probably learn from their mistakes (arguably having a President wasn't a mistake but the kind they got was) and their successes (it seems that they didn't poison their own chalice enough to (yet) lose the other parts of government, but it's hard to credit Trump to this fact without assuming N. E. Other in the position would not - save for the old "look over here!" distraction he caused perhaps).

What have the Democrats learnt, though?  Except that, whatever you think about the candidates, they managed to pick ones barely more popular than what the Republicans put up (and not enough so, in at least one of those cases).

It'll be a toss-up, at this premature stage, whether an unseated Trump goes on to become POTUS#47 (or #48, give or take the possibility of Harris bagging the next slot on), because of the total unpredictability of the next four years of US and world politics. I don't think mainstream Rs would normally back him but there'd be a non-zero groundswell of Trump-over-Relublican supporters who might be able to help him (inside or outside the Republican ticket). In a 'worst case'[1] scenario, that'd be a possibility.

[1] Depends upon your POV and the outcome. If the Trump-Party ticket falls behind the main parties' tickets, it might be quite ood for them.. but probably better for Ds.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41966 on: November 13, 2020, 11:41:17 am »

I don't think trump is actually going to run in 2024.  He's just going to blow hot air at rallies and collect campaign donations, but just take the money and run when the election year actually hits.  It's just his next big grift, and his cult will fall for it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41967 on: November 13, 2020, 11:59:23 am »

He will make an excuse for not running and keep on repeating it.  His supporters will believe it.  It’ll give him a Republican kingmaker position in the Republican Party for probably the rest of his life.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41968 on: November 13, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »

I give him any chance of doing so only because there's a lot of possible ways for things to go so bad in the immediate future that it gives him an 'in'.

I agree that it's unlikely, but at this point in time any conceivable 'normal' future is also unlikely (with huge error bars) that I'm definitely not going to commit against it. (This time last year, we'd never have thought we'd be where we are now, wherever that is.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41969 on: November 13, 2020, 05:04:51 pm »

Trump's warpseed speech:"The virus is no big deal, but we're doing an amazing job stopping it, so we should open up, but just in case the vaccine is here and we did it, expect it in April!"

"Also New York doesn't get the vaccine because fuck their governor not trusting our safety trials."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 2796 2797 [2798] 2799 2800 ... 3567