Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2773 2774 [2775] 2776 2777 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229376 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41610 on: November 06, 2020, 11:08:09 am »

As for drugs, nenjin dawg, the fuck you supporting rich assholes pushing drug war propaganda for exactly?

Saying that some drugs should be illegal to possess is not the same thing as supporting in totality "the War on Drugs." The War on Drugs tried to turn possession of anything into a life destroying offense. It's clearly dying off as more and more states legalize some drugs, decriminalize others. But that doesn't mean there is no redeeming merit to saying "yeah, some things are off the table." It's the difference between a 10 year sentence for a gram of crack-cocaine, and a few month sentence and a fine for the same.

The idea that you won't hold people who purchase and use drugs accountable while you will? prosecute people who distribute doesn't make sense to me.

And I think the the last 30 years have proven that the drug economy operates at all different levels. There is profit to be made from the poor, for small time street dealers. This is why pawn shops have to record everything they buy because they're a way to convert stolen goods into money for drugs. Yeah no dealer is going to negotiate for a gram of crack when they're being offered a high end electric hair curler. But there's other, even more unsavory methods of transacting too. There's begging, panhandling, and doing absolutely bottom of the barrel work just to feed an addiction as well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:29:15 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41611 on: November 06, 2020, 11:38:03 am »

The idea that you won't hold people who purchase and use drugs accountable while you will? prosecute people who distribute doesn't make sense to me.

Because people self-harming is a health issue whereas harming other people for massive personal gain is criminal one.  That's the basic idea.

Personally I'm not convinced that all cases of drug use are self-harming (some clearly are) which then throws back into doubt the criminalisation of supply.

What is clear is that making drugs illegal creates the black market for them and drives their prices through the roof.  Leading to all sorts of criminality in order to obtain them, including desperate measures to find the needed money.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41612 on: November 06, 2020, 11:40:47 am »

Plus Drunk and Disorderly can still be a thing without possession of alcohol resulting in jailtime, same applies to other substances.

Depending on the wording, decriminalization of drugs that are illegal to produce can still often reduce it to more of a civil offence, meaning it gets confiscated and you can be fined and (ideally) required to attend counseling sessions for repeat instances or clear addiction, instead of a criminal offence for which you face jail-time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:47:21 am by MorleyDev »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41613 on: November 06, 2020, 11:56:04 am »

Wasn't SharpieGate already used for that Trump hurricane thing?
That's the true Conspracy!

#SharpieGateGate

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41614 on: November 06, 2020, 02:02:39 pm »

In mildly amusing news, it appears that McSally has now managed to lose not one, but both of her state's GOP senate seats? Anyone know if that's a historical first for the country?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41615 on: November 06, 2020, 03:17:18 pm »

Secret footage has leaked, showing Trump speaking to Tom Cotton, Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz in the White House bunker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWmkwaTQ0k&t=80s

Edit: for those who can't translate Trumpspeak, he is instructing them to propagate the voter fraud claims like good Republicans.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:44:42 pm by Quarque »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41616 on: November 06, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »

As for drugs, nenjin dawg, the fuck you supporting rich assholes pushing drug war propaganda for exactly?
I wouldn't prosecute shit outside of financial crimes, actually, wage theft, tax harbors, vulture capitalism.

Retributive justice DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POSITIVE FOR SOCIETY.

It serves to provide a bottom end of awfulness to keep workers happy accepting shit wages for shit jobs because there is always worse, making any number of methods people might try to feel less awful into a crime just further criminalizes being poor meaning it's that much easier to force someone to accept a shit job for shit wages.

You're acting like drugs are the source of the problem and punishing addicts fixes it.

That's fine if you don't know better, but I'm here telling you I do know better, you've been misinformed, and by accepting the boundaries of discourse set by rich assholes who want to keep capitalist bullshit going, you're supporting the rich assholes foisting poverty off on the rest of us like it's our fault.

Stop it.

Do you see how monstrous Spin sounds when he pulls his mask aside to reveal the honesty of "fuck you I got mine?"

Know how that sort of monster survives and thrives?

People accepting that it is normal for them to exist, good even, because capitalism=good, everything else=bad, so people spend less time asking why the fuck they participate in this fucked up ass socioeconomic system and more time participating in it to help make more money for an ever smaller group of people at the top.

Trump is the embodiment of this shit at work: his entire persona is a lie based on "CAPITALISM BEST, WHITE MEN BEST" which is pushed to keep as many poor white dudes as possible as angry as possible at everybody EXCEPT rich white dudes, and they keep falling for it.

The war on drugs, the war on terror, the horde of illegal immigrants, it's the same shit Reagan was doing with welfare queens and the soviets and the war on drugs.

Meanwhile as moronsmoral majority voters were eating up the big steaming turds he dropped on their plates, he was deregulating the financial system and slashing tax rates for rich assholes while keeping poor white dudes angry enough at everyone but said rich white dudes that they'll be motivated to vote to fuck themselves over repeatedly.

Your life doesn't sound like one which would lead to you getting some benefit from enabling rich assholes fucking everybody over, so why do it?

Like, Spin at least seems to be in a position where the system is serving him just fine at the expense of everyone else, it's still shitty, but it's possible to understand why he might do that.

Not sure about everybody else willingly accepting the rules of a game rigged against them though, because the response isn't keep playing to be a good sport, it's tell whoever rigged it to fuck off and make new rules before burning the board and flushing the pieces.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41617 on: November 06, 2020, 05:05:53 pm »

Retributive justice DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POSITIVE FOR SOCIETY.

Horseshit. We punish plenty of things as retributive justice as a society.

That's fine if you don't know better, but I'm here telling you I do know better, you've been misinformed, and by accepting the boundaries of discourse set by rich assholes who want to keep capitalist bullshit going, you're supporting the rich assholes foisting poverty off on the rest of us like it's our fault.

Stop it.

*roll eyes* What is this, a 101 Sociology student discussion? No one stuck a needle in their arm. Stop absolving the individual of any responsibility and blaming it on a nebulous "rich guys" entity. Plenty of that is going on, but maybe stop for 2 seconds and realize people have a direct responsibility to themselves and their lives.

You're acting like drugs are the source of the problem and punishing addicts fixes it.

Drugs are a symptom of the problem but not one you can just ignore because "rich people! oppression! the man!" by acting like it doesn't have a massive societal impact.

When you're done on your anti-capitalist screed, maybe we can get to talking about actual drug addiction and decriminalization. I enjoy me some good anti-capitalist debate but not when it's a total deflection from substantive issues.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:14:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41618 on: November 06, 2020, 05:21:46 pm »

Somebody sticks a needle in their own arm, who is the person they are hurting that they should be punished for?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41619 on: November 06, 2020, 05:37:47 pm »

Somebody sticks a needle in their own arm, who is the person they are hurting that they should be punished for?

The poor businessman who lost a valuable laborer.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #41620 on: November 06, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »

Damn, even Fox News has turned on Trump lol. The current Fox News comment sections are hilarious with his remnant supporters going berserk against it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41621 on: November 06, 2020, 07:16:32 pm »

I like the general argument you got here, but is there any reason to keep invoking Spin's name and shitting on him? I just think it's distasteful to talk badly of people when they're not even part of the conversation or essential to its subject. Now that I mention it though, Spin hasn't posted in a few days, which is odd cause you'd think this would be prime posting time for the guy.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41622 on: November 06, 2020, 07:29:09 pm »

Damn, even Fox News has turned on Trump lol. The current Fox News comment sections are hilarious with his remnant supporters going berserk against it.

The Gingerbread Man Donald Trump at approx 2:30 am on election night:
"It's also clear that we have won Georgia. We're up by 2.5% or 117,000 votes with only 7% left - they're never going to catch us, they can't catch us."
(The quote is accurate not sure about the figures he cites.)

Old poem about the Gingerbread Man whose final demise is brought about by a sly fox:
Once there was a gingerbread man,
Baking in a gingerbread pan.
Raisin eyes and a cherry nose,
Trimmed right down to his fingers and toes.
A gingerbread man in a gingerbread pan!

Here's the old woman who made him so sweet,
A treat for her and her husband to eat,
She made him with flour and sugar and eggs,
She gave him a face and two arms and two legs.
A gingerbread man in a gingerbread pan!

Now open the oven to see if he's done,
This gingerbread man, he know how to run.
Out of the oven and onto the floor,
Now run away out the kitchen door.
The gingerbread man, he's out of the pan!

Now chase him old woman, now chase him old man
Chase him, yes chase him as fast as you can!
Through the garden and out the gate,
Catch him right now, before it's too late.
The gingerbread man, he's out of the pan!

Along came a cow who wanted a treat
And the gingerbread man, he looked good to eat
Run, run, as fast as you can
You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man
I'm the gingerbread man and I'm out of the pan!

Along came a horse who wanted a snack
But the gingerbread man, he never looked back

Along came a farmer who wanted a treat

Along came a dog who wanted a snack
But the gingerbread man, he never looked back

Along came a hog who wanted a treat

Along came a fox who wanted a treat,
And this gingerbread man, he looked good to eat.
Jump on my back, my gingerbread pet,
And we'll cross the river, so you won't get wet
Mr.  Gingerbread man, who's out of the pan!

There was no place to go, there was no place to run
And a ride on the river could be lots of fun!
So off with the fox did Gingerbread go
And what happened next, you already know
To the gingerbread man, who's out of the pan

That sly old fox had a de-lic-ious treat
And the old man and woman had nothing to eat
Not a bite was left for the cow or the dog,
The horse or the farmer or hungry old hog
There's no gingerbread man in or out of the pan!

So let us go home and get out the pan
And we'll make ourselves a new gingerbread man!
And when he is eaten, we'll make us some more
But this time we'll be certain to lock the back door!
A new gingerbread man, in a gingerbread pan!

You'll have to pardon my sense of humour.

Time for the next gingerbread man?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41623 on: November 06, 2020, 07:45:44 pm »

Rats run from sinking ships

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41624 on: November 06, 2020, 08:00:09 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:09:53 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2773 2774 [2775] 2776 2777 ... 3567