Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226986 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41100 on: October 30, 2020, 02:22:36 pm »

Gotta be careful with hallucinogens though - there's actual evidence that LSD at least has a tendency to trigger something similar to the overview effect and make people permanantly reject their petty hatreds after witnessing the connection between all things.

And without petty hatred, there's really nothing left for the capitalist system or America in general to operate on. One wonders if the government didn't know more than they were letting on when they originally banned it...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41101 on: October 30, 2020, 03:57:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure my heart is withered and blackened enough at this point to see the grand oneness that connects us all, and then look at someone like Rudy Giuliani and still be like "fuck you, you don't get to be connected to the universe" and shove him off the top of the Empire State Building while yelling "THIS IS NOT SPARTA".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41102 on: October 30, 2020, 05:24:29 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41103 on: October 30, 2020, 05:51:22 pm »

Voted today at the County Election Office. Took 3 hours, were probably 150 people in line the whole time, the family of three in front of me declined to wear masks the whole time until they tried to enter the building at which point they were forced to. The mother mumbled some nonsense about asthma as her excuse for not wearing one. And as the cherry on top, the dad in front of me decided to rip ass right before he went into the building. Our electorate, ladies and gentlemen.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:54:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41104 on: October 30, 2020, 06:29:48 pm »

I'm sorry for people deluded into not wearing masks during a pandemic, like actual literal death cultists, as long as they stay away from others.  I had maskless people shouting in my face and spitting on others when I was in DC, which is literally assault by any reasonable definition.  The fact I didn't violently defend myself is "the tolerant left" they keep mocking.

Sorry, ugh.  I too "committed the sin of electoralism" (thanks MSH, love that phrase for your own vote) today, and it was mostly pleasant.  Long wait... but everyone respected distance and masks, because I live in an area that takes such things seriously.  After so long in quarantine I was a bit anxious, but the election staff were *amazing* and I hope I didn't thank them an awkward number of times.

I kept the election guides (Like for the midterms - they're lovely trophies!) but there weren't any real surprises.  The primary was a lot more interesting, choice-wise, but that's nearly always how it goes here.  I'd still love to vote for a Republican, just give me a reason, but even Cherie Berry is retired now.  We must enter the future with elevators of unknown provenance.

Edit: Though wow, 3 hours?  I only waited 1 and I thought that was bad, around 2-3 PM.  I'm impressed at your dedication.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 06:34:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41105 on: October 30, 2020, 06:32:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure my heart is withered and blackened enough at this point to see the grand oneness that connects us all, and then look at someone like Rudy Giuliani and still be like "fuck you, you don't get to be connected to the universe" and shove him off the top of the Empire State Building while yelling "THIS IS NOT SPARTA".
Fuck you, you try to get in my way we squabblin' over who gets to de-Giuliani the world-except-that-bit-of-pavement.

No, I've done LSD and it did give an intense feeling that the universe was woven together out of threads of spacetime which we are all enmeshed within as we swim downstream in time together, and the missus has helped me gain a new broader love of kindness and sweetness in others as well as helping to rekindle it in myself.

Let's push him off, together.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41106 on: October 30, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »

At the back of the line I was thinking 2 hours tops. But when the election official came by the line informing everyone in line that they would get to vote no matter how long it took, and to expect another ~2 hour wait, I knew it was going to be slow. There were 5 clerks and 5 booths, so.

Made me realize that, despite all the exercising I do lately, there's one thing I don't do very often at all anymore: stand still for hours at a time. My lower back has been fine all week, but after about an hour and a half of standing there it started to hurt. Soon as I got back to my car and got to sit down again it was fine. But oof. Need to work on that.

Whatever though. My area of town is generally pretty well behaved, mid-western politeness and all that. Still would rather avoid the spectacle on election night, although I suspect it will go way faster than this did.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41107 on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:28 pm »

man, I voted early like a month ago

I was the only actual voter there, I think
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41108 on: October 30, 2020, 08:48:46 pm »

Florida had to fuck up and to take a lot of shit thrown at it to get where we are now. But I'm extremely happy with the way we've done it. I mailed my vote in. I tracked it online. I knew when it arrived at the office, and I know now it's already been counted. People who have gone to in-person early voting are saying it's gone well. The first day was a bit crowded (45-90 minute waits) but it has since cleared up a bit. (Generally under 30 minutes)

Not saying it's perfect. Not saying there's not going to be attempts to fuck with it still. But it's actually really nice to have at least some assurance that your vote went through.

That said, given the current ruling party in Florida, and the fact I'm living in an area with a heavy majority of that ruling party, I'm curious how the experience is in one of the bluer sections.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #41109 on: October 30, 2020, 10:36:09 pm »

Fellow Floridian here. My mail-in ballot never arrived for whatever reason. Quite frustrating, especially considering that my other housemates got their's just fine.

At least early voting stations were available since last week. I already got it done last Thursday. I probably overprepared by waking up first thing in the morning to get it done; there was only about six people ahead of me. The whole thing went by pretty smoothly.

What really astounded me was that everyone there was actually wearing masks. This is in contrast to, I dunno, just about anywhere else in this town? Fuckin' assholes. Small mystery why we'd had a sudden upsurge of COVID cases. I'd reckon a bunch of these twats had been struck with an idiot beam, but that's Florida for you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:41:34 pm by ShinQuickMan »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41110 on: October 31, 2020, 12:25:49 am »

Apparently RedKing was so excited for legal magic mushrooms in Oregon that he forgot the other drug ballot measure which proposes to decriminalize...it sounds like everything? A $100 fine or a rehab center visit for any non-distribution level possession.

I see heroin, meth, LSD, cocaine, and methadone listed in the full text of the measure, but I'm pretty sure this proposes to decriminalize all of Schedule I-IV, which is everything in terms of drugs. Presumably it does not extend to literally all controlled substances and decriminalize napalm ownership.

...it is illegal to own napalm in Oregon, right?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41111 on: October 31, 2020, 12:50:24 am »

considering it's just a mixture of mothballs and palm oil, I don't think so?

I mean, shit-- you could cook up a ton of it at just about any Dollar General.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41112 on: October 31, 2020, 12:52:43 am »

Being a chemist doesn't count. Let's not get the government upset by reminding them pretty much anybody with a bachelor's degree in chemistry, a thousand dollars, and access to Wikipedia can make chemical WMDs. That's one of the ones they don't even like thinking about because they can't stop it.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41113 on: October 31, 2020, 12:56:26 am »

Oh, so THAT explains the education crisis in America!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41114 on: October 31, 2020, 04:31:20 am »

I probably overprepared by waking up first thing in the morning to get it done; there was only about six people ahead of me. The whole thing went by pretty smoothly.

What really astounded me was that everyone there was actually wearing masks. This is in contrast to, I dunno, just about anywhere else in this town? Fuckin' assholes. Small mystery why we'd had a sudden upsurge of COVID cases. I'd reckon a bunch of these twats had been struck with an idiot beam, but that's Florida for you.
Correlation, if not causation?
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 3566