Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227242 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41055 on: October 28, 2020, 09:25:48 pm »

You tend to find that in a lot of states though. Masses of red and a few blue bits. The reason things are close is the blue bits tend to be in the more population dense areas, because urban areas tend toward democrats.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41056 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:19 pm »

Funny thing about Florida right now is that the county with the highest percentage of early voters at 70% is Sumter County, aka the home of The Villages, aka Boomerville.

Even the Bidenites there are fucking insane...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:33:35 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41057 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:33 pm »

I think Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Ohio won't be called for DAYS.

Not disputing anything you've said, but spotted something a bit ago that's pretty relevant.

The Supreme Court threw out the challenge to NC's voting deadline (up to 9 days after the election, as long as they're postmarked by election day), so NC almost certainly will drag out (vote was 5-3 - Barrett abstained due to not being there for most of the arguments, Kavanaugh and Roberts sided with the D judges).

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41058 on: October 28, 2020, 10:13:28 pm »

I really don't know what the fuck is up with Kavanaugh, or Gorsuch for that matter. A few days ago Kav says he'd be open to a midnight count-stop, then he rules in favor of state law while Gorsuch goes against muh sacred text?

Fucking freaks, all 9 of them in truth. I might keep Sotomayor, and even that feels like I'm infected with the disease of liberalism.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41059 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:12 pm »

Once they're just part of the newly expanded federal and supreme judiciary it won't matter ever again.

Really fucking hope they go forward with breaking up a couple of states to further eliminate the influence of boomers and red state senators until they all fucking die and are forced to adopt sane policies or sit in the corner pouting and ranting about renaming america christland.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41060 on: October 28, 2020, 11:04:29 pm »

Has there been any serious recent discussion of breaking any state up?  I've managed to miss that if so.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41061 on: October 28, 2020, 11:12:26 pm »

Breaking up states isn't really Constitutional by any metric - there are still a few judges out there who maintain that West Virginia is illegitimate, albeit way too far entrenched at this point.

The more viable ratfuck is to admit as many of the territories as states as possible, plus DC. Amusingly, Congress does not actually have to have their consent to do this. Hey, if Wyoming is allowed to exist...

I don't really see the DNC doing this even in a victory scenario though. I haven't seen a Democrat holding a bloodied knife for my entire lifespan, except maybe Cooper. It's only children in Yemen who get the sharp end with the DNC, never the GOP. Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41062 on: October 28, 2020, 11:43:32 pm »

Breaking up states isn't really Constitutional by any metric - there are still a few judges out there who maintain that West Virginia is illegitimate, albeit way too far entrenched at this point.

Wait, what? It's literally constitutional.

Section 3
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The awkwardness surrounding West Virginia is that it was done by seceding from Virginia while Virginia had seceded from the union (so pretty messy). All you need is a congressional law and a state law both affirming the split (multiple state laws if there are multiple states).

As noted a few pages back (and apparently a few dozen/hundred/thousand before that), Texas actually has the right to divide itself into five states under the terms of its admission to the union, too. (It's an open debate whether that right still exists since they seceded, though.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41063 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:24 pm »

It has a Constitutional pathway, yes. But realistically, you're never going to get that mutual consent, especially not in the Age of the Boomer Deathless. That's so unlikely that I just forgot about it, much like people forget about Article V Conventions. People can't agree on what that one even means.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41064 on: October 28, 2020, 11:54:41 pm »

Article V conventions are indeed scary, but I can say that there are members of congress who have gamed out / are gaming out adding additional states. This is assuming you bust the filibuster, then e.g. split a single (presumably quite blue) state into two.

Though you are correct that DC and Puerto Rico (should it choose to join) are ahead of that strategy in line.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41065 on: October 29, 2020, 12:45:31 am »

With the House and Senate held by dems who bust the last tool of racist minority government (the filibuster) and the state legislature/governor also dem it is totally doable, cali is massively underrepresented currently, dc statehood would be easy enough too, but pr would need a bit more finagling.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41066 on: October 29, 2020, 12:52:56 am »

Rural California (Red, but completely unrepresented) might even get on board with that.

This all requires a level of competence in the DNC that I regard as fantasy, though

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41067 on: October 29, 2020, 01:03:22 am »

Shhh, let us dream.

Lettuce dream.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41068 on: October 29, 2020, 04:17:46 am »

Lettuce dream.

More important than the BLF - the BLT.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41069 on: October 29, 2020, 07:35:35 am »

Wait, so West Virginia is actually Virginia, and Virginia is actually East Virginia?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 3566