Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2693 2694 [2695] 2696 2697 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227533 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40410 on: October 13, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »

How did filthy Europol invade Ameripol again?  :P

Every time I do it -- and I am aware it is always me -- I am ashamed of every time I've complained or joked about the opposite happening in the eurothread. I am only feeling threatened by the overwhelming presence of America as default on the English speaking internet, have pity with me :P

Look, we can't help it, we're just the greatest and most important nation on Earth to whom everyone else looks up to. It's only natural that our politics would be all-consuming enveloping and involve all the people of the planet. What can you do?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40411 on: October 13, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

The resistance will be posted in the Ameripol thread
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40412 on: October 13, 2020, 12:19:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:01:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40413 on: October 13, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »

Well that's the thing, the people who have the money right now want you to think that who has money and the patterns of money flowing don't actually do anything for the economy, because ultimately, there's the same amount of money as you started with. However, that's entirely flawed as an analysis.

In reality, it's clear that when there's a downturn in consumer spending, business collapses and things are objectively bad. So it makes sense that there is a very concrete connection between monetary liquidity and real world economics. When you give poor people money, you're not just doing a shell game that doesn't leave anyone better off. The GDP increases in measurable ways, and suffering decreases in measurable ways.

It's right-wing "economists" who want to say that food stamps etc don't leave people less hungry because the price of food just inflates in response to the spending, but that's ignoring that there's elasticity in the supply of food as well as elasticity in demand, so it's being (deliberately?) ignorant of even the most basic common sense of how economics works. If you incentive food sales, then there will be demand pressure on the price of food, but this will then make producing food more profitable so the food supply will increase to match.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:53:14 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40414 on: October 13, 2020, 12:47:42 pm »

The problem that you will have, is getting "leaders" of industry to accept that "Employees need money, in order to engage in market activity, which is what is necessary for you to make sales."

As long as they spend fewer total dollars on things like "Hyper aggressive advertising", and "Monopoly building bullshit", and get "Reliable sales growth" for their trouble, they will thumb their collective noses at the notion of increasing the money available to their employees.

You see this all over with 'BOOST SALES! BOOST SALES!! FOR THE LOVE OF MAMMON, BOOST SALES!!" during recessions and depressions-- They allocate lots of resources to salesmen and marketing firms-- but then lay off employees like there is no tomorrow.

Government may try to intercede, and offer "bailouts", with the express intent that these industry leaders SHOULD use that money to keep employees employed (So that they have liquidity, so that economic activity can continue), but 9 times out of 10, these leaders just funnel that money straight into the aggressive sales garbage disposal, and STILL lay off the employees.

Until you have a workable plan to twist those ears, and force the industry leaders to actually do what is needed for the market to enter recovery (which is NOT in their immediate short-term best interests, being a derivative of the Prisoner's Dilemma), they will *ALWAYS* misuse the bailout money.

The time that such an intercession actually *WORKED*, was when the government *ITSELF* entered the scene, and offered employment.  This cut out the dumbfucks who insist on trying to boost sales instead of keeping people employed with the money intended to save the economy, and put people directly to work.  The money the workers got for doing the work the government paid them to do, allowed the economy to enter recovery.  It's how we got out of the great depression.

Every time we have tried to just give money to "Employers", it has been a lesson in epic misuse.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:52:49 pm by wierd »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40415 on: October 13, 2020, 01:29:07 pm »

How did filthy Europol invade Ameripol again?  :P

Every time I do it -- and I am aware it is always me -- I am ashamed of every time I've complained or joked about the opposite happening in the eurothread. I am only feeling threatened by the overwhelming presence of America as default on the English speaking internet, have pity with me :P

Look, we can't help it, we're just the greatest and most important nation on Earth to whom everyone else looks up to. It's only natural that our politics would be all-consuming enveloping and involve all the people of the planet. What can you do?
Vous êtes tous américains. Or else.

I mean, in this country "social democrat" just means a centrist neoliberal who likes to go to parties.  :P

Couldn't help but notice that Trump's next few rallies are in venues that are...underwhelming?

Pitt-Greenville Airport (Greenville, NC)
Ocala International Airport (Ocala, FL)
Middle Georgia Regional Airport (Macon, GA)

I get the reason for having it at the airport -- he'll literally pop off Air Force One, ramble some shit for an hour, and then hop back on the plane to go to the next one.
But the choice of airports is amusing. He's like an 80's hair metal band trying to have a reunion tour and having to settle for getting booked at a Howard Johnson's in Muskogee.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40416 on: October 13, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »

So, they'll be flying visits.

If he'd prefer to be away from airports, I'm sure Air-Force One could be suitably adapted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40417 on: October 13, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »

Everyone knows Europe is in America, everything is in America

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40418 on: October 13, 2020, 02:57:43 pm »

That is a problem that must be amended. But groups of people don't just stand there reaching money around in a circular fashion do they?
Yes. Not literally, but you'd be surprised how much so-called "GDP" amounts to that.
Because putting it into a bank account is the opposite of velocity of money.
It's really only lower-middle-class people who put a substantial fraction of their money into a bank account and leave it there. Above that level, money into 'savings' circulates more because it is traded for investment instruments.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40419 on: October 13, 2020, 03:13:26 pm »

Everyone knows Europe is in America, everything is in America
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40420 on: October 13, 2020, 04:55:21 pm »

I'd be willing to vote for Europe as 51st state.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40421 on: October 13, 2020, 05:14:12 pm »

Is that with or without the UK?

(You just need to choose who to annoy...  Probably about half of both camps, for different reasons.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40422 on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:33 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:01:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40423 on: October 13, 2020, 06:49:39 pm »

Yeah right just give the mainland like 3-4 electoral college person thingys and it'll be fine  :D.

The brits though will resurrect Churchill before they tolerate someone stopping them from cherrypicking.

Well, if we're still going by population distribution. EU as a whole has 500 million people*. That means Europe, without changing the numbers in the House any, and with some allowance for districting oddness would get ~270 Representatives*. (And 2 Senators) Which means the EU would likely be able to decide who would be president entirely on their own, assuming they go winner-take-all.

*Back of the napkin figures. Didn't bother checking the exact numbers, but it's probably not far off.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40424 on: October 13, 2020, 06:52:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:01:10 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2693 2694 [2695] 2696 2697 ... 3566