Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 [2679] 2680 2681 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225362 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40170 on: October 06, 2020, 02:34:23 am »

Does this count as a "Titanic level" demonstration of Hubris, or do we need something more?
Damn.. who wrote this crap movie we are living in?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40171 on: October 06, 2020, 02:51:27 am »

TBH I wouldn't mind a freak iceberg smashing into the WH somehow, at least it would be spectacular to watch.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40172 on: October 06, 2020, 03:10:03 am »

Vote "Cometary Impact" 2020!

(I hear it's trying to edge in on the Giant Meteor voter base.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40173 on: October 06, 2020, 05:54:38 am »

Some candidates have already passed by recently[1], though whether that bodes for it being more or less likely that somewhere like Pennsylvania Avenue is directly on the route of another stalking-horse lump of rock, in the immediate future, I'm not sure anyone can say.

[1] Though that headline I chose is humorously misleading, I think it means crossing Earth's solar orbit, inwards, but it initially reads to me as "is now a natural satellite of Earth", which has plenty of other implications....

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40174 on: October 06, 2020, 07:28:59 am »

Some candidates have already passed by recently[1], though whether that bodes for it being more or less likely that somewhere like Pennsylvania Avenue is directly on the route of another stalking-horse lump of rock, in the immediate future, I'm not sure anyone can say.
It's a clickbait title. It came near our orbit, but not anywhere near Earth.

The probabilities of rocks of various sizes hitting us are quite well known. With humanity in its current state, worrying about them is like worrying about being hit by lightning in the middle of a gunfight.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40175 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:07 am »

Less click-baity than the "set to collide with Earth's orbit" (!) or "will skim past the Earth" (probably a secondhand misunderstanding), which other outlets decided to go with.

I quoted that one as probably intended to be accurate and 'a thing' (vaguely passing through the 3D 'sweep' of Earth, but at an otherwise irrelevent time, is not a 'collision', and being ~6x the distance to the Moon isn't a 'skim' to a layperson) but with perhaps an unfortunate interpretation of the correctky-intended title. And the other two linked were one at about 3x that of the above, and a much smaller one (atmosphere-exploder, probably, though some would probably accept a Tunguska Event as acceptible compromise) with 'just' 5x Earth-Moon distance in it.

And I'm not saying it's likely that an Unknown Unknown might zero in on the North American continent perhaps hyperbolically from directly out (with low albedo and little relative motion to trigger the usual algorithms) or even similar but on the way back out from a tight pass of the Sun (lost in the glare, as it rounds the rim). Mostly I was thinking of the standard Roulette Fallacies.

ETA some 'proper' Ameripol, just barely maybe: Past Presidential hopeful (and AntiVirus tycoon) McAfee has been arrested, for extradition, in Spain for mis/non-filing of US taxes. Seems like he actually has a fortune to hide, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:03:51 am by Starver »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40176 on: October 06, 2020, 03:16:44 pm »

Well, now that Trump himself is (maybe) recovered, obviously America doesn't need another COVID relief bill.

Classic Trump.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40178 on: October 06, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »

inb4 someone digs up the fact that Amy Coney Barrett regularly brings her work home and ‘consults’ with her husband / ‘heads’ from the People of Praise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40179 on: October 06, 2020, 05:56:59 pm »

Facebook announcing it's banning all QAnon accounts. Better incredibly late than never, I guess...but from what I've seen they've already begun rebranding weeks ago in an effort to bypass this kind of crackdown.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40180 on: October 06, 2020, 06:26:30 pm »

Stephen Miller (the ultra hardliner on immigration since Bannon left, election fraud disseminator and resident crypto-white nationalist) announced he tested positive today. Rudy Giuliani is the only member of the debate prep team who hasn't, yet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40181 on: October 06, 2020, 06:33:04 pm »

Though complications in healthier individuals outside of the main risk-groups are comparatively rare, chances are that someone from the current West Wing/etc is going to get a bad case of what got passed around, no matter how many galvanized HCQ pills they swallow.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40182 on: October 06, 2020, 07:08:05 pm »

AntiVirus tycoon

The new sim game where you develop your own antivirus software! Can you develop the most mediocre AV known to man? Or will your software be plagued by security holes and inconveniently-timed updates?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40183 on: October 06, 2020, 07:15:20 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40184 on: October 06, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »

Biden and Trump just keep trying so hard to one-up each other on losing the election. At this point, Biden's really going to have to shoot someone in public in order to lose, after which Trump will nuke Tehran.

And the Cal Cunningham thing just keeps broiling over worse than before. Apparently the woman in question threatened to send his nudes to Tillis' office because he ghosted her. Fucking losers, the lot of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 [2679] 2680 2681 ... 3566