Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226374 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40140 on: October 05, 2020, 08:53:16 am »

Fun fact: Barrett did not disclose her membership of the group in her senate judiciary confirmation.

(Source: https://apnews.com/article/new-orleans-donald-trump-amy-coney-barrett-us-supreme-court-courts-1be61f7c3427e41326038e5cdab54839)

Edit: the group has also been wiping all mentions of her from their site.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:02:43 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40141 on: October 05, 2020, 08:55:08 am »

And she seems to have made efforts to hide this specifically, which is why I said it probably should be brought up, but only in the most careful and tactful of ways. However, despite their job title, Politicians seem to be almost entirely unable to be politic.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:00:02 am by sluissa »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #40142 on: October 05, 2020, 09:59:46 am »

It's almost like the American electorate have developed a tendency to vote for the loudest and angriest candidates or something...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40143 on: October 05, 2020, 10:14:14 am »

It's worse than that actually.

My take on the situation, is that everyone has "already Decided".  They are not looking for the best candidate, (and thus looking for metrics to measure to determine which is the best fit for function)-- they are looking for justification of their already existing choice.

This is because the American electorate has been spoonfed "US VS THEM!" and "WE are RIGHT, and THEY are WRONG!!" for their entire lives-- cradle to grave.  Anything that reinforces the already existing decision structure, no matter how absurd (see also, QAnon), is latched onto with gusto.

In the modern era of infinite reality distortion fields, personal echo chambers, and social media fed mass-delusions, these "decisions" go unchallenged, and are actually actively placated instead.

As descartes rightly put it-- Those that can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

American politics has become one non-stop atrocity, ruining lives every second, of every minute, of every day.

And it's all because we as a nation are unwilling to return to reality. 

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40144 on: October 05, 2020, 10:27:24 am »

Speaking of returning to reality, dexamethasone apparently has "grandiose delusions" as a side effect. The internet joke is "how will we be able to tell". But the thing about the reality in which we find ourselves is that it looks at our little fictions like that and says to itself "hold my beer".

45's Twitter is pure insanity.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #40145 on: October 05, 2020, 11:56:50 am »

@Wierd: I think the atrocities quote is from Voltaire. According to someone's sig at least.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 01:20:16 pm by Eschar »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40146 on: October 05, 2020, 12:24:10 pm »

The actual quote is:

"...anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices".

Voltaire - Questions sur les miracles (1765)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40147 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:27 pm »

You can WH Press Secretary and Stepford Wife #4 Kayleigh McEnany to the Rona list.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40148 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »

So, Trump's announced he's leaving the hospital this evening and that he's "feeling better than I did 20 years ago."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40149 on: October 05, 2020, 02:09:27 pm »

That's like that subplot that ends up in every HoI4 mod where a historical leader has some kind of health trauma happen to them and it triggers them into insanity and opens up that country's nightmare path.

What I'm saying is, nuclear war by tomorrow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40150 on: October 05, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »

So, Trump's announced he's leaving the hospital this evening and that he's "feeling better than I did 20 years ago."
That's funny -- in less than a month, I'm going to feel better than I've felt in the last four years.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40151 on: October 05, 2020, 02:14:42 pm »

I tend to not wish human misery on people. Both for personal reasons (once you see someone dying in pain and their own excrement you tend not to wish the same thing on more people, no matter how awful they are as a person) and practical ones (political unstability + potentially more infectees -what if JB gets it?- + the fact that the elite are falling to this shows you how far the pandemic is reaching... even if said elite were being foolish about safety measures to begin with).

I hope he has a bad enough time to realize this is serious and stop making things difficult, that he recovers afterwards, and that he loses the election hard.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40152 on: October 05, 2020, 03:34:08 pm »

I've been thinking that there has been a major battle within the White House and medical officials between "We need to take every possible precaution" and "We need to show that everything is fine and project normalcy." I strongly suspect Trump himself has been on both sides of that debate himself, panicking when he had symptoms but then hating the media coverage making him seem "weak" (Mark Meadows is a good example: he was the official who told us "the next 48 hours are critical", than a day later made a comment along the lines of "I'm sure Trump is watching this interview right now and critical of me" and has moved to "His health is unbelievable" today).

I still don't know what to expect. Hasn't even been nine days. If he was going to go critical it would be on this coming friday, based on the fact he had symptoms on wednesday and was tested positive at that time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:55:15 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40153 on: October 05, 2020, 03:40:14 pm »

It's starting to look like it will go as I feared.
'Tis just a minor flu, don't fear Covid'.

Fuck you, Trump. Fuck you.  And please die.

EDIT: or well, maybe not die, as that goes against my principles to wish that on someone.  But at least get worse, and be unfit to rule for another 4 years.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:44:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40154 on: October 05, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »

If he dies... well, it is what it is.  Because he is who he is.

But hey, I heard that there are other options, like life long maladies.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 ... 3566