Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2657 2658 [2659] 2660 2661 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227349 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39870 on: October 01, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »

And if voters have no confidence in police to protect their right to vote, why, they'll protect themselves.
While there have been cases of misconduct on the part of the police, it is important not to exaggerate matters. A lot of cops are doing good work and of course that never makes the news - only the worst excesses do. I hate the term "fake news", but the constant focus they have on the most negative shit that happens in a population of millions does have a terrible effect on opinion forming - and that goes for people across the political spectrum.

Well yeah.

If the police do their job right, shit is good. When police do their job wrong, as in a great number of cases in recent years, shit needs to be brought to light so it can change. The media can only point things out though, they can’t force the change to be made, and since very little has changed because this shit keeps happening it’s always in the news.

Maybe this time will be different, but since it feels like everyone in a position to do something about it doesn’t give a shit, maybe when the next person that is wrongfully killed will get some justice.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39871 on: October 01, 2020, 09:18:05 pm »

Hector, yes there is a problem. Not denying that.

Just saying, thinking that all of the cops will happily side with the proud boys and beat up voters is a wild exaggeration. Don't fall into scare fantasies. That is exactly what Trump is trying to achieve, you know. To scare people off. Because he doesn't have any better strategy and he is a bully in a suit. Don't serve his interests.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39872 on: October 01, 2020, 09:39:46 pm »

His tactics didn't seem to work when I early voted a week or two ago.  I was the only one at the poll.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39873 on: October 01, 2020, 09:41:43 pm »

His tactics didn't seem to work when I early voted a week or two ago.  I was the only one at the poll.
I am sure there will be some way for your vote to be mysteriously lost or invalidated or even 'corrected'.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39874 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:09 pm »

While there have been cases of misconduct on the part of the police, it is important not to exaggerate matters. A lot of cops are doing good work and of course that never makes the news - only the worst excesses do.
Cops doing good (or "good", in the case of shit that's still pretty abusive, but liked by many people, like erasing the presence of homeless folks) makes the news bloody constantly, on top of being standard fair for cop themed media, which is very much prevalent. If you don't notice it, either things are wildly different where you're at (extreme doubt, as I've seen that shit in person or reading local sources from literally one coast to the other in this country), or they're the default to such a degree it doesn't even register as notable.

Meanwhile, while some of the worst excesses make the news, lots and lots of the lesser abuses -- the harassment, the profiling, the evidence planting, theft, and so on and on and on -- only rarely does and even when it does, often receives little remark and less accountability or reform.

Cops get plenty of good PR. Way more than they fucking deserve, especially given how much of their "good" work immiserates the community it's inflicted on. It's just reaching the point they're collectively a pile of shit so huge even decades of media and news carrying water for them left, right, and center is starting to wear thin.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39875 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:24 pm »

I am sure there will be some way for your vote to be mysteriously lost or invalidated or even 'corrected'.
well fuck guess I wasted my time then
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39876 on: October 01, 2020, 09:58:48 pm »

And if voters have no confidence in police to protect their right to vote, why, they'll protect themselves.
While there have been cases of misconduct on the part of the police, it is important not to exaggerate matters. A lot of cops are doing good work and of course that never makes the news - only the worst excesses do. I hate the term "fake news", but the constant focus they have on the most negative shit that happens in a population of millions does have a terrible effect on opinion forming - and that goes for people across the political spectrum.

Ah yes, I too remember when I used to blithely talk about the good middle ground as a panacea for how shitty things were.

Good cops have not and do not stop bad cops. Until that changes, I'm not going to applaud them for doing their jobs, when in reality they only selectively choose to do them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39877 on: October 01, 2020, 10:00:13 pm »

well fuck guess I wasted my time then
yeah, and the time of the person who now has to fix your bullshit, scrub.

or the person that was going to impersonate you and vote the right way the first time.

jeez man, way to go, actually doing your civic duty.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #39878 on: October 01, 2020, 10:03:42 pm »

Cops have consistently demonstrated with their brutal actions at the hundreds of BLM protests this year (exhaustively documented with hundreds of videos here, be warned they're really violent, honestly I have a hard time believing anyone HASN'T seen this thread yet: https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847?lang=en), and the numerous examples of them playing favorites with white supremacists, that they're not in the business of protecting people's right to protest, not to mention the growing number of cops who've been shown publicly expressing hate speech (https://www.plainviewproject.org/data), and the 2006 FBI report reminding everyone that white supremacists have historically infiltrated law enforcement (https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/White_Supremacist_Infiltration_of_Law_Enforcement.pdf), so why in the world would anyone expect them to have a better record at the polls? It's very negative, but when it's representative of reality then it's not fear mongering, and painting it as anything other than that is serving the interests of white supremacists.

It's a good thing that people are forming negative opinions of the police instead of relying on them to deliver something they will never come through on. To the vast majority of voters, the cops are not friends, they're enemies, and you can use that knowledge to vote more safely.

Why this assumption that people can't use this info to take some kind of proactive action, like making group texts with people you know to coordinate going to the polls, or to spread warnings and document ongoing or imminent violence at polling places?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:07:25 pm by Parsely »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39879 on: October 01, 2020, 11:07:40 pm »

exhaustively documented with hundreds of videos here, be warned they're really violent, honestly I have a hard time believing anyone HASN'T seen this thread yet: https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847?lang=en
I hadn't, but I'm glad I did now! :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39880 on: October 01, 2020, 11:47:25 pm »

I fucking hate polarizing politics.  I have enough to deal with right now with the full moon.

(No, not a werecreature. I just deal with dementia in the elderly at night. Some say it is superstition, but it's totally a real thing. Thy go bananas on full moons. Already had a woman try to throw herself out of bed twice, and another on the prowl to eat anything she can find.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39881 on: October 01, 2020, 11:53:12 pm »

My greataunt worked in an old folks home. When I asked about this she said she saw a woman with no teeth eat a banana the last full moon.

The whole banana. Peel, stem and all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39882 on: October 01, 2020, 11:56:17 pm »

I fucking hate polarizing politics.  I have enough to deal with right now with the full moon.

(No, not a werecreature. I just deal with dementia in the elderly at night. Some say it is superstition, but it's totally a real thing. Thy go bananas on full moons. Already had a woman try to throw herself out of bed twice, and another on the prowl to eat anything she can find.)
How do you think lunacy works?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39883 on: October 02, 2020, 12:04:17 am »

This just in, Trump has the 'rona. Later than potentially expected, but well it was going to happen eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39884 on: October 02, 2020, 12:08:10 am »

My initial thought is that he's just trying to get out of the debates.

But god do I hope all the stem cells they're definitely filling him up with if it's real fail.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2657 2658 [2659] 2660 2661 ... 3566