Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227389 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39855 on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:06 pm »

Here's hoping we can at least last until after the election for the violence to start, because then it'll likely be a lot more likely to achieve that burnout effect than if it occurs while the election is ongoing. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39856 on: October 01, 2020, 03:21:34 pm »

For that matter, Proud Boys apparently released a statement saying that they would, indeed, "stand down" after being asked, which implies that they certainly interpreted it that way. Of course I'm sure someone will say that's just a nefarious cover.
Let's check the source.
Do you have a link to the released statement?

Yeah, they were definitely happy to hear it, and considered it encouraging.

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-race-and-ethnicity-joe-biden-donald-trump-3f4d31aed98ca5080fb428d7cdc0c223
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39857 on: October 01, 2020, 03:51:25 pm »

Spent a few minutes looking for something, and the largest supply of quotes I could find was from Forbes. (Skip to the latter half of the article.) Most of this is social media stuff on Parler and Telegram, though, so not like an official statement.

Quote from: Joe Biggs, an organizer within them though not el jefe
“Trump basically said to go fuck them up! this makes me so happy.”

Link to the actual Parler post here.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39858 on: October 01, 2020, 03:57:11 pm »

I'm sure there are good people on both sides. Except whiney college kids, those are fascists. I too would rather sign my life away with the worldfuckers because those whiney little shits are oversensitive, and powerful. No yeah I get it man.

It’s irrational, but it is what it is. I should stress I consider right wing concerns about political correctness largely a consequence of being grossly misinformed about the matter.

Under it all I suspect there is frustration about being ignored and that their culture is devalued. Of course, they’re constantly surrounded by their own culture to the point where it becomes invisible to them. The “foreign” “leftist” culture expressed through “political correctness”, on the other hand, stands out very clearly. So they fixate on that.

Most conservatives aren’t racists*, but they can be influenced by people who are. They need to be brought back into the fold, but things have become so insanely polarised I feel many would vote for Hitler if he ran for their party. Someone needs to build the bridge, but the Republicans sure as hell won’t be doing it.

*This isn’t a “there are fine people on both sides” comment, but rather a “some people can be redeemed”. People really do tend to conform to the people around them, even if only superficially.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:00:51 pm by thompson »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39859 on: October 01, 2020, 04:19:03 pm »

Spoiler: BOO! (click to show/hide)

Image doesn't work. Inputting the url just leads to startpage.com.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39860 on: October 01, 2020, 04:24:32 pm »

Strange, it displays fine for me both ways.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39861 on: October 01, 2020, 04:36:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:52:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39862 on: October 01, 2020, 04:57:21 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39863 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »

The up side is that militias and other people willing to pull shit like that are very small in number. Polling places are very large in number.

It's the same argument against any other widespread election fraud. It's very difficult to pull off in any manner that would affect a national election in any reliable way.

This is doubly true this year with mail in ballots being available almost everywhere.

I believe linked an article here a few days ago, that 50,000 people had been recruited by some conservative organizations for election day "polling security." Combined with the number of voting sites mentioned above due to Covid, in the most likely contested area that could lead to real conflict. And if voters have no confidence in police to protect their right to vote, why, they'll protect themselves. And won't that be a joy in crowded voting queues where emotions are sky high.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39864 on: October 01, 2020, 06:52:52 pm »

This scare tactic is smart - the reasonable democrat would vote by mail instead, and those votes are already invalidated.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39865 on: October 01, 2020, 06:53:41 pm »

The up side is that militias and other people willing to pull shit like that are very small in number. Polling places are very large in number.

It's the same argument against any other widespread election fraud. It's very difficult to pull off in any manner that would affect a national election in any reliable way.

This is doubly true this year with mail in ballots being available almost everywhere.

I believe linked an article here a few days ago, that 50,000 people had been recruited by some conservative organizations for election day "polling security." Combined with the number of voting sites mentioned above due to Covid, in the most likely contested area that could lead to real conflict. And if voters have no confidence in police to protect their right to vote, why, they'll protect themselves. And won't that be a joy in crowded voting queues where emotions are sky high.....

Yeah, about an hour after I made that post an article referencing this crossed my phone.

So yeah, it's suddenly looking a lot more likely now, seeing things start to line up like that.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39866 on: October 01, 2020, 08:13:24 pm »

And if voters have no confidence in police to protect their right to vote, why, they'll protect themselves.
While there have been cases of misconduct on the part of the police, it is important not to exaggerate matters. A lot of cops are doing good work and of course that never makes the news - only the worst excesses do. I hate the term "fake news", but the constant focus they have on the most negative shit that happens in a population of millions does have a terrible effect on opinion forming - and that goes for people across the political spectrum.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39867 on: October 01, 2020, 08:27:31 pm »

Let’s say Trump does steal the election by casting shade on the process and declaring mail in ballots invalid. Surely he’d face a huge voter backlash come midterms. Probably enough to have him impeached.

*sigh* here I am telling myself everything will be ok again “in a couple years”. Looks rather grim. People had better vote. You’re safe if he loses by a landslide.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39868 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:37 pm »

We're never safe. He could lose 500/38 EVs, go on television the next day proclaiming the election false, and order Biden's arrest for treason. You think the average cop or soldier wouldn't go along with it?

Some people wouldn't. But that's why they call it a purge. I'll believe the Democrats have learned to exercise power when I fucking see it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39869 on: October 01, 2020, 08:58:43 pm »

Let’s say Trump does steal the election by casting shade on the process and declaring mail in ballots invalid. Surely he’d face a huge voter backlash come midterms. Probably enough to have him impeached.

*sigh* here I am telling myself everything will be ok again “in a couple years”. Looks rather grim. People had better vote. You’re safe if he loses by a landslide.
Pretty bold of you to assume we'd *have* midterms. Or a Congress.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 3566