Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2655 2656 [2657] 2658 2659 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227321 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39840 on: October 01, 2020, 04:38:38 am »

I’d never accuse him of being “intelligent”. He just isn’t senile. He aced that test, remember?

He does seem to have some political instincts, but mostly I think he owes his success on the left kicking own goals through PC overreach. Still, he’s nailed that segment.

In fact, I suspect he just wings everything and lives day to day on these instincts. I assume he must plan some things from time to time, just not very deep. Either that or other people do that for him. Impossible to tell.

On a more somber note, the intellectual and moral decline of the Republican Party is a sorry sight. It’s truly a shame.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:31:07 am by thompson »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39841 on: October 01, 2020, 05:30:56 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:52:17 pm by dragdeler »
let

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39842 on: October 01, 2020, 05:35:22 am »

It’s true, whether you like it or not. What I didn’t mention is that PC damage is mostly done by individuals either virtue signalling or cynically trying to stifle opposition, rather than some intentional collective effort. Throw in the odd radical for good measure, I guess. I usually assume people understand society is composed of millions of individuals with their own beliefs and agendas. Of course, it’s a silly assumption as PC frustration is largely born out of a failure to make that distinction.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:36:55 am by thompson »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39843 on: October 01, 2020, 06:22:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:52:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39844 on: October 01, 2020, 10:57:43 am »

Hey, you know what's really hurting the left? Individuals having empathy for their fellow humans.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39845 on: October 01, 2020, 11:42:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:52:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39846 on: October 01, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »

"tHe EsSjAyDuBaU mEnAcE"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39847 on: October 01, 2020, 01:16:43 pm »

For that matter, Proud Boys apparently released a statement saying that they would, indeed, "stand down" after being asked, which implies that they certainly interpreted it that way. Of course I'm sure someone will say that's just a nefarious cover.
Let's check the source.
Do you have a link to the released statement?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39848 on: October 01, 2020, 01:17:32 pm »

Personally my main worry is, as it's been for quite a while, that everything that's boiling over, and any potentially positive outcome that might come in the future, will still fail to hit the root cause of what's allowed this absolute shitshow of an election to happen. The growing degree of partisanship is effectively the worst possible (or at least imaginable from my perspective) failure state of two-party politics.

To be fair, as I've joked elsewhere, the "worst possible failure state" of multi-party politics is Literally Hitler* but that doesn't exactly relieve any unease over the issues with polarized two-party politics. And my inner pragmatist is a tad divided over whether the only likely resolution to this stagnation will be a good thing, or just undermine our political system even further.

The ideal solution would be for increased interest in third parties to undermine the stranglehold, and view their objectives as an overlapping range of points to work with different politicians rather than a list of talking points geared more towards "what will work best for backstabbing the other guy" that we presently have. But voter apathy makes this resolution effective self-defeating, and the very fact we are in such a fundamentally stagnant political condition only further underscores this.

The alternative would be for the direct consequences of partisanship to turn violent, to such a degree that it sours interest in the partisanship that ultimately led to it. I already suspect that, no matter who wins this election, it's going to get violent in the aftermath, to a much higher level than before. That's the part I'm worried about. The cold and pragmatic part of me suspects that, if it escalates to warrant the "second American Civil War" moniker, that might be impetus enough to provoke the requisite distrust in our two-party system that outcome will require.

But the "I kinda like not living in a warzone, thanks" part of my pragmatic side suspects that shit's going to get way worse if that happens, with no certainty that things will get better afterward.

* Disclaimer, while the need to cooperate with smaller parties to gain a workable majority was a factor in how Hindenberg's idea to pull a certain dipshit Austrian into the fray helped cause that, a necessary secondary prerequisite was being able to use that leverage to undermine opposition parties, increasing their level of political power relative to all other parties still participating. The Reichstag Fire Decree's impact (making the Communist Party of Germany de facto banned from participating) likely being the tipping point that ensured the Enabling Act went through.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39849 on: October 01, 2020, 01:57:40 pm »

My main concern right now is....suppose militias do set up at polling places across the US come election day. Who is gonna stop them and protect people's right to vote? The police? The same police that people have been calling to defund, and many of whom have said "Oh ok, fine, I'm just gonna stand over here while shit goes down since you don't think you need us." And that's setting aside any sympathies departments may have with those elements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39850 on: October 01, 2020, 02:19:43 pm »

My main concern right now is....suppose militias do set up at polling places across the US come election day. Who is gonna stop them and protect people's right to vote? The police? The same police that people have been calling to defund, and many of whom have said "Oh ok, fine, I'm just gonna stand over here while shit goes down since you don't think you need us." And that's setting aside any sympathies departments may have with those elements.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the police actually join in the voter suppression, in fact.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39851 on: October 01, 2020, 02:20:47 pm »

It's very much because of the shared ideology plenty of cops have with them. The only difference between Incel al-Qaeda and the average cop is that 40% of the cops have spouses.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39852 on: October 01, 2020, 02:24:15 pm »

The up side is that militias and other people willing to pull shit like that are very small in number. Polling places are very large in number.

It's the same argument against any other widespread election fraud. It's very difficult to pull off in any manner that would affect a national election in any reliable way.

This is doubly true this year with mail in ballots being available almost everywhere.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39853 on: October 01, 2020, 02:31:09 pm »

The up side is that militias and other people willing to pull shit like that are very small in number. Polling places are very large in number.

It's the same argument against any other widespread election fraud. It's very difficult to pull off in any manner that would affect a national election in any reliable way.

This is doubly true this year with mail in ballots being available almost everywhere.

I’d like to point you to Mikwaukee the Wisconsin special election in April, which had its usual 180 polling places reduced to 5, because of Covid-19, cases of which are on the rise in - if I recall the morning news correctly - 30+ states.

It just needs to happen once to become a talking point, and then Trumo will extrapolate that to the rest of the country that his supporting militias were necessary to stop all that voter fraud, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39854 on: October 01, 2020, 02:35:24 pm »

Plus, the difference between Trump having to do minor fraud and Trump having to do major fraud to steal the election could be decided by a slim margin. Occupy all the black-majority polling areas you can, and you could make it happen.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2655 2656 [2657] 2658 2659 ... 3566