Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2641 2642 [2643] 2644 2645 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223734 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39630 on: September 23, 2020, 05:08:39 pm »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39631 on: September 23, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/iamTannenbaum/status/1308484742489276417
Your PPE funds get spent on the defense budget? Lucky americans. In the UK, they just get funneled into investment firms and confectioners.
One wheel short of a wagon

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39632 on: September 23, 2020, 05:47:44 pm »

Reportedly, "the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."

"With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly."

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39633 on: September 23, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »

I have the utmost confidence in our courts to stop the vote counting at an appropriate and patriotic time.  :)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39634 on: September 23, 2020, 05:52:13 pm »

very democracy

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39635 on: September 23, 2020, 07:53:08 pm »

Your PPE funds get spent on the defense budget? Lucky americans. In the UK, they just get funneled into investment firms and confectioners.

you do realize most of that defense budget does go to stock owned corps for weapons development and production and not grunt boots on the ground.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39636 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:03 am »

you do realize most of that defense budget does go to stock owned corps for weapons development and production and not grunt boots on the ground.
Yeah naturally, I was just joking about different approaches to spending money intended for PPE.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/
Also, a tl;dr of this article: unless Trump wins by a landslide (unlikely) he will use various legal and illegal tactics to obscure the actual outcome of the voting and muddy the waters, while maintaining his narrative that the election was fixed. If the final voting totals don't reflect a positive result for him, or if counts or the legal battles around them drag on past a certain date, he then appeals to the states to send favourable electors. The extent to which these electors are willing to ignore the vote count then becomes key, but it is very likely that several states will send more than one set of electors, casting more than one set of ballots for different sides.

If either party takes both the house and the senate, they probably win in this situation. If the house and the senate are split between them, we're not sure what happens, but it will depend on what Trump is willing to do to stay in power, to the point of declaring martial law. After that, I'd imagine it comes down to the generals, and I'm not sure how that would go.

This is on the assumption that Trump wants to win and will do almost anything to stay in power. His campaign is certainly taking this attitude. His "the election will be fixed" tweets seem to indicate that he is too, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he tries to do some kind of deal to avoid legal repurcussions, and is willing to take the money and run. I don't know if President is a particularly enviable job at the moment, particularly for someone of his intelligence, so he may be getting tired of it. Hard to say.
One wheel short of a wagon

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39637 on: September 24, 2020, 04:11:31 am »

Reportedly, "the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."

"With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly."

To be totally clear, this is constitutional and there doesn't even need to be a justification. State legislatures are allowed to determine the method of choosing an elector freely.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39638 on: September 24, 2020, 06:29:46 am »

"...unless it involves mailing in!!!"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39639 on: September 24, 2020, 06:42:22 am »

"...unless it involves mailing in!!!"
That's not a method of choosing an elector, that's a method of performing a poll. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39640 on: September 24, 2020, 06:50:43 am »

To be totally clear, this is constitutional and there doesn't even need to be a justification. State legislatures are allowed to determine the method of choosing an elector freely.
To be totally clearer, this statement is pretty much entirely false. What's being described by the shitgibbon and co. largely violates the state constitutions or laws in most or all of potentially contested areas. State legislatures cannot actually just rewrite their own constitutions and legal code at a whim, which is what it would take for the situation in question to actually occur.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39641 on: September 24, 2020, 07:02:53 am »

To be totally clearer, this statement is pretty much entirely false. What's being described by the shitgibbon and co. largely violates the state constitutions or laws in most or all of potentially contested areas. State legislatures cannot actually just rewrite their own constitutions and legal code at a whim, which is what it would take for the situation in question to actually occur.
Well, they can. Then they would get sued, it would go through the state courts, then get appealed to the Supreme Court, who would then get to decide whether they can or not...

I'm sure the Supreme Court will totally make the right, nonpolitical call!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39642 on: September 24, 2020, 08:06:25 am »

I'm starting to think the constitution might have some faults in it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39643 on: September 24, 2020, 02:59:47 pm »

Surely it enshrines the best democracy money can buy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39644 on: September 24, 2020, 05:33:03 pm »

Strict adherence to the Constitution, or the will of the Framers is so weird to me.  Everyone knows they had slaves, but not everyone remembers that only landowners could vote back then.  The supposed balance of the three branches only ever worked by trading favors, collusion, and by taboos against actually using the "checks" like the veto. 

The only redeeming value of the US Constitution is its malleability, as shown by the Bill of Rights and (most of) the following Amendments.  So this nigh-fundamentalist idea of trying to enforce the original intentions of its authors seems... misguided.  Often it seems like a convenient excuse, and at least that makes sense.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2641 2642 [2643] 2644 2645 ... 3566