Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2620 2621 [2622] 2623 2624 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227460 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39315 on: September 12, 2020, 01:26:02 am »

Something I did mean to ask here was how much interest or awareness there is in the US regarding the UK potentially breaking the Good Friday Agreement, and whether that would be likely to raise problems in US-UK trade deals. I know it's not necessarily something the average US citizen knows about, but there are still a lot of Americans with ties to Ireland, with potentially a lot of leverage.

I could only find one major US figure speaking about it here, but I'm wondering if you guys think Biden or Trump would make trouble for the UK in post-Brexit trade deals if the issue blew up?

Sort of weird to reply since I'm not from the US (and didn't read the linked article cause bunch of  'puter stuff that I don't trust) but I'm assuming you meant Pelosi? 

Regardless she has been pretty clear that there will be no chance of a free-trade deal with the UK passing congress if the Internal Market Bill becomes legislation in its current form.  And assuming that's more than hot air then, yep big trouble for trade deals regardless of the president, at least while the democrats retain control of the lower house. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-09/pelosi-says-u-k-can-forget-u-s-trade-deal-if-irish-pact-broken

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39316 on: September 12, 2020, 01:34:02 am »

The average citizen couldn't give a fuck about foreign policy, no. The US' place in the GFA is one of the Democrats only foreign policy achievements in modern memory, and thus we can be assured that they'll just inexplicably give up on it at some point for a concession the Republicans won't actually end up giving.

Personally, I can't wait for Trump to say "Up the Ra" during a future speech.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39317 on: September 12, 2020, 04:05:17 pm »

Something I did mean to ask here was how much interest or awareness there is in the US regarding the UK potentially breaking the Good Friday Agreement, and whether that would be likely to raise problems in US-UK trade deals. I know it's not necessarily something the average US citizen knows about, but there are still a lot of Americans with ties to Ireland, with potentially a lot of leverage.

I could only find one major US figure speaking about it here, but I'm wondering if you guys think Biden or Trump would make trouble for the UK in post-Brexit trade deals if the issue blew up?
Joe Biden is about 5/8ths Irish, and I see a number of newspaper articles of him discussing his Irish roots and how important they are to him. For this and related reasons I suspect he would not be a huge fan of the UK unilaterally breaking the Good Friday Agreement.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39318 on: September 12, 2020, 04:34:55 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:47:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39319 on: September 13, 2020, 03:34:38 am »

Straight up forgot about 9/11. Damn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39320 on: September 13, 2020, 03:45:55 am »

Straight up forgot about 9/11. Damn.
Nobody really seemed to care about it where I'm from this year, which I'm definitely down with. I feel like it's tapering off.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39321 on: September 13, 2020, 03:49:12 am »

Hard to care about loss of life when we're constantly justifying it on the news.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39322 on: September 13, 2020, 07:19:22 am »

Easy to forget 9/11 when the US has had a 9/11 every day for a while now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39323 on: September 13, 2020, 10:18:30 am »

Almost like it's been 9/11 times a million

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39324 on: September 13, 2020, 01:58:20 pm »

Nobody really seemed to care about it where I'm from this year, which I'm definitely down with. I feel like it's tapering off.
Well we did. Arguably more solemn occasion than usual, but perhaps that's to be expected given everything that's happened. New York City remembered one tragedy in the shadow of another.

That's fine, though. After all, it was our tragedy to bear. The rest of the country can stop pretending they ever cared about New York (as the Onion put it).

Almost like it's been 9/11 times a million
Rounding a bit, 64.333(repeating) times as worse. Or about as if 9/11 happened every day for two months. Not quite every day, more like every 3 really.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39325 on: September 14, 2020, 10:00:35 am »

I just heard about Nancy Pelosi's haircut "scandal." The story is stupid, but pretty funny.

Nancy has avoided further financial help for the people who need it, because it's too hard to make sure that most of the money gets to billionaires without the public noticing. She's also a major authority figure. To make sure she keeps up appearances, she's been getting haircuts from a salon operating illegally in violation of lockdown orders. It turns out that when you travel with a security detail, going places gets attention. The owner wanted to refuse her service, but the stylist was an independent contractor. So the owner of the store told on herself and released the security footage.

Despite having called to make the appointment, Pelosi was yelling about how they tricked her to make her look bad, and she (a lawmaker) had no way of knowing if the law was being followed or not. It turns out, she's gotten too high a profile to be above the law. It warms my heart to see more of our shitty politicians getting caught with their separate rules for the ruling class BS, even if it doesn't affect anything (see also politicians lying about the spread of COVID to sell off their stocks before the market dropped).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39326 on: September 14, 2020, 01:43:19 pm »

Barber shops have been open in New York for awhile now.  The one I went to was by appointment only and the barber dressed up almost like a surgeon.

And googling this 'scandal'.  Guess California is still on it's second round of shutdowns ain't it?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39327 on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:17 pm »

Nancy has avoided further financial help for the people who need it, because it's too hard to make sure that most of the money gets to billionaires without the public noticing.
Wow. That's an impressively dumb hot take.

Mind you, I'm no fan of Pelosi, and she was dumb to fall prey to a setup. But it's a non-issue, other than the optics.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39328 on: September 14, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »

Barber shops been open in VA for some time now. Wore a mask, got my hair cut.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39329 on: September 14, 2020, 03:16:58 pm »

Barber shops have been open in New York for awhile now.  The one I went to was by appointment only and the barber dressed up almost like a surgeon.

And googling this 'scandal'.  Guess California is still on it's second round of shutdowns ain't it?

Don't know for sure. It sounds like it depends on the city and county you live in.
Pages: 1 ... 2620 2621 [2622] 2623 2624 ... 3566