Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228031 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39270 on: September 11, 2020, 03:17:59 am »

You're still participating in capitalist society under the delusion that it is superior to post-capitalist communism.

Like I said, communism is what happens after society advances enough that capitalism can't work anymore.

Well, it's what happens if we don't off ourselves clinging to free market bullshit.

Incidentally all scarcity nowadays is forced with the one exception of land, so hey, congratulations on being ahead of the curve there!

The idea that we'd all have to suffer and live in poverty without capitalism is one pushed by the insane american strain of capitalism because we're very good at deflecting our flaws onto everyone else.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:20:48 am by Max™ »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39271 on: September 11, 2020, 03:20:35 am »

You're still participating in capitalist society under the delusion that it is superior to post-capitalist communism.
Owning my stuff is definitely better for me than someone else getting part of it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39272 on: September 11, 2020, 03:26:01 am »

That isn't what communism is about, though.

I mean, no longer being able to collect rent because you called dibs on a chunk of land might seem like it would suck, but not needing to collect rent because you're no longer struggling under artificial scarcity seems better to me.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39273 on: September 11, 2020, 03:29:04 am »

I mean, no longer being able to collect rent because you called dibs on a chunk of land might seem like it would suck, but not needing to collect rent because you're no longer struggling under artificial scarcity seems better to me.
I'm super not, though. My life is plentiful and I am content.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39274 on: September 11, 2020, 03:32:16 am »

Trust me, you'd feel better if you gave all your stuff away.  If it would help, you could send all your money to me.  I wouldn't mind.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39275 on: September 11, 2020, 03:33:19 am »

Trust me, you'd feel better if you gave all your stuff away.  If it would help, you could send all your money to me.  I wouldn't mind.
Nah.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39276 on: September 11, 2020, 04:57:02 am »

Communism still values people according to their contribution to the community, though. :P
It quite literally doesn't, though? The most boiled down understanding of communism is "From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs." You seem to be having some trouble with that second part.

I most certainly does. The very quote you give creates a relationship in which the one who provides more to the system than he requires back is more valuable then the one who requires more than he is able to provide.

As somebody who strongly believes is that quote yet have definitely been given more in my life than I've been able to give that is a burden of guilt I am intimately familiar with.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39277 on: September 11, 2020, 05:29:01 am »

As somebody who strongly believes is that quote yet have definitely been given more in my life than I've been able to give that is a burden of guilt I am intimately familiar with.
Honestly, this is one of the infinity reasons why voluntary association is morally superior: People give you things because they want to, not because they are required to. If someone who has something wants to give it to you, then, by definition, you deserve it. You do not need to pay that back to balance the books; the books are already balanced by whatever made those people want to do that in the first place, such as "familial love" or whatever may apply in your situation.
"From each according to their willingness, to each according to their deserts."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39278 on: September 11, 2020, 05:38:56 am »

Why deserts?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39279 on: September 11, 2020, 05:44:02 am »

Why deserts?
Pronounced the same way as "desserts", it's the noun form of "deserve" — either something deserved (as in "just deserts") or, as here, the state of deserving something.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39280 on: September 11, 2020, 05:57:31 am »

Why deserts?
Pronounced the same way as "desserts", it's the noun form of "deserve" — either something deserved (as in "just deserts") or, as here, the state of deserving something.
Oh. Thank you. I got confused on how places with scarce precipitation related to willingness. Thank you for clarifying why it makes sense, a different sounding word spelled the same with a different meaning

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39281 on: September 11, 2020, 06:50:43 am »

Where is the "taken forcefully from each to redistribute until all are equal in poverty" bit in Marx's writings again? I seem to have missed it while I was waiting on my just desserts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39282 on: September 11, 2020, 07:16:59 am »

If someone who has something wants to give it to you, then, by definition, you deserve it.

Just... no. Who on earth thinks this? There is pretty much no understanding of desert I can think of in which someone wanting to give you something of theirs means you deserve it. Unless you believe or bullshit like Rand.

Dictators give their friends and lovers things those people definitely don't deserve all the time. The European nobility frequently gave their children money and lands that were the profits of slavery - or indeed actual slaves. And idiotic rich kids are frequently given far more than they will ever deserve to have in their lives by their parents as rewards for medioce exam grades, or for nothing at all.

I really don't see how someone could come to believe that you deserve anything you're given. Let alone that it's true by definition - this really isn't in the definition of deserve, or a necessary consequence of it. I'm a bit horrified that someone could think this, to be honest.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39283 on: September 11, 2020, 07:24:25 am »

Honestly, this is one of the infinity reasons why voluntary association is morally superior: People give you things because they want to, not because they are required to. If someone who has something wants to give it to you, then, by definition, you deserve it. You do not need to pay that back to balance the books; the books are already balanced by whatever made those people want to do that in the first place, such as "familial love" or whatever may apply in your situation.
"From each according to their willingness, to each according to their deserts."

I wholeheartedly disagree. Not just that it's morally inferior (It is our moral duty to care for each other a a group to begin with) but also that it isn't willing. It is we who voted for this system after all.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39284 on: September 11, 2020, 07:27:05 am »

Y'all, you know that Malthus was wrong, right? I keep seeing people say "but what about scarcity?".
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 3567