Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228045 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38895 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:19 pm »

The smallest part of an idea is called the atomeme. It's what all ideas are built with. Many atomemes together form the building blocks of ideas, called memecules
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38896 on: August 25, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »

Would the 'smallest part of an idea' be considered a m(emory-c)odon? Or a m(emory-b)ase?

(Cue frantic scramble to shoehorn something into "moron". Or, indeed, just "base".)
I don't think ideas really have "smallest parts" in any concrete way and we shouldn't overthink this.  :P
Sure they do, or at least as concrete as anything to do with ideas. The term's just "axiom". It's the point of a concept where you can't chip anything else off and you're stuck pulling something out your proverbial ass.

There's other terms when dealing with linguistic expression and whatnot, though. I don't remember them, 'cause most of the time I just don't care, but they exist. People have been talking epistemology and shit for centuries, there's words for this stuff if you care to go looking for them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38897 on: August 25, 2020, 02:38:50 pm »

The smallest part of an idea is called the atomeme. It's what all ideas are built with. Many atomemes together form the building blocks of ideas, called memecules

This is canon now
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38898 on: August 25, 2020, 02:43:06 pm »

So, is a thought an atonement? Or do multiple thoughts become an atonement?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38899 on: August 25, 2020, 03:17:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38900 on: August 25, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »

A monomeme, building block for possibly polymemisation (perhaps just the same thought recurring on and on, as a very simple tether, wrapping or block with which to form, protect or support some greater contrived theory, but when past its usefulness can be harmful if improperly handled).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38901 on: August 25, 2020, 03:22:40 pm »

So, is a thought an atomeme? Or do multiple thoughts become an atomeme?

A monomeme, building block for possibly polymemisation (perhaps just the same thought recurring on and on, as a very simple tether, wrapping or block with which to form, protect or support some greater contrived theory, but when past its usefulness can be harmful if improperly handled).
Hmm...this gets me thinking what would a bias be under the thoughts=atoms comparison model?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38902 on: August 25, 2020, 03:26:51 pm »

Ionisation?

(Depends if it becomes a neutral memory-compound if positive and negative biased ionic-memes come together, e.g. in an actual solution.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38903 on: August 25, 2020, 03:32:18 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38904 on: August 25, 2020, 03:39:47 pm »

So... extrapolating...

Positively charged memes are Catmemes. Negatively charged memes are Animemes.

The perfectly neutral meme would involve anime catgirls?

And with that I formally apologize for taking this thread off the rails.

In pleasant news, Florida court rules that it was unconstitutional to force schools to open back up at risk of their funding. Governor appealing. Unsure about which localities are going to be willing to stay close/reclose even after all that, but we'll see.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/judge-rules-florida-cant-force-all-schools-to-reopen-amid-pandemic/

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38905 on: August 25, 2020, 03:57:02 pm »

Governor appealing.
*checks picture of Ron DeSantis*

Umm, no. Not really. Looked better on the Google summary where it looks like the pic gets stretched vertically a little, but every actual picture does him little credit in the attractiveness stakes, once you get past the obligatory smile. Even assuming I was susceptible.

Still, you know your tastes better than me..

;)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38906 on: August 25, 2020, 08:24:55 pm »

Sure they do, or at least as concrete as anything to do with ideas. The term's just "axiom". It's the point of a concept where you can't chip anything else off and you're stuck pulling something out your proverbial ass.

There's other terms when dealing with linguistic expression and whatnot, though. I don't remember them, 'cause most of the time I just don't care, but they exist. People have been talking epistemology and shit for centuries, there's words for this stuff if you care to go looking for them.
...Just to be clear, I am familiar with all of these concepts, including the linguistic ones because linguistics is a hobby of mine, and this was profoundly insulting.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38907 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »

Eh. If someone tongue in cheek throwing shade at axioms and whatnot is profoundly insulting to you, you're not familiar enough with them yet, imo :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38908 on: August 25, 2020, 09:04:43 pm »

Would the 'smallest part of an idea' be considered a m(emory-c)odon? Or a m(emory-b)ase?

(Cue frantic scramble to shoehorn something into "moron". Or, indeed, just "base".)
I don't think ideas really have "smallest parts" in any concrete way and we shouldn't overthink this.  :P

Only insofar as we haven't worked out how to do that yet.

Looking around my room the first thing i saw was some headphones, which was handy for this example. I'd argue that the concept itself 'headphones' is atomic. There are connected concepts (such as heads, and speakers), but you can't have half the concept of headphones. It's either audio on your head or it's not.

Even the parts of the physical headphones, those are related concepts too, not smaller parts of the concept itself. For example switching to cars, you could make a definition of car and say that one of the rules is that cars have windshields (or at least a place where a windshield can go). The concept "cars have windshields" is atomic. You can't have half of this idea, cars either do or don't have windshields, and the precise definition of a windshield is a separate set of concepts.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:20:09 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38909 on: August 25, 2020, 09:06:29 pm »

lol autocorrectodoxy, repent for your neologisms
nevar

Governor appealing.
*checks picture of Ron DeSantis*

Umm, no. Not really. Looked better on the Google summary where it looks like the pic gets stretched vertically a little, but every actual picture does him little credit in the attractiveness stakes, once you get past the obligatory smile. Even assuming I was susceptible.

Still, you know your tastes better than me..

;)
I don't feel strongly either way.  He looks fine, I'd swipe right in a mood.  Maybe it it says something that his curated pics are just "inoffensive".
Not like Mitch McConnell looking looking like a furby in even his best pictures - but appearance is a terrible way to gauge threats to liberty.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:15:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 3567