Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227578 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38865 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:46 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38866 on: August 21, 2020, 04:55:34 pm »

Perhaps the most arbitrarily cruel aspect of California's slave firefighters other than the fact itself is that Californian law makes it illegal for them to become firefighters if they get released from prison.

"Thanks for the free labor, now go steal some bread so we can three strikes you and keep you for life."
WTF, “land of the free” is a lie, it’s been a lie for a while, how long though? Was it ever?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38867 on: August 21, 2020, 05:00:30 pm »

I mean, there was a point there weren't any humans in north america, so probably at some time during that period it was honest. Been hella' conditional ever since we showed up, tho'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38868 on: August 21, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »

Perhaps the most arbitrarily cruel aspect of California's slave firefighters other than the fact itself is that Californian law makes it illegal for them to become firefighters if they get released from prison.

"Thanks for the free labor, now go steal some bread so we can three strikes you and keep you for life."

Idiotic, if you ask me. You spend time and resources training your prison slaves, then when they get out, you don't encourage them to battle your yearly natural disaster?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38869 on: August 21, 2020, 05:45:01 pm »

Ah but you'd have to treat them like humans then, and pay them, a living wage even!

Why go trough all the trouble of making a tool if you're not going to use it as a tool :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38870 on: August 21, 2020, 05:47:06 pm »

This is America! I'm sure we could find a way to not pay them!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38871 on: August 21, 2020, 05:51:07 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38872 on: August 21, 2020, 06:08:10 pm »

Personally, I'd be very inspired to see Arnold fighting fires.

More seriously, I'm attempting to register as an overseas voter. My state's website has registration on it, but requires you to have lived in the US for the past 28 days to vote. Which means...there is no overseas voting, right? Why even have the button to click?

I've emailed the clerks for more information.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38873 on: August 21, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »

You can definitely vote from overseas, regardless of what fuckery your state is up to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38874 on: August 21, 2020, 06:18:58 pm »

I'm certain of that. It's just the good old electronic systems around voting being a mess. I'd wager every state has this sort of thing.

It's like if you lose your phone in an Uber - you have to report it in the Uber app...on your phone...that you lost...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38875 on: August 21, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:40 pm by dragdeler »
let

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38876 on: August 21, 2020, 10:39:50 pm »

Nothing more secure than relying on phone number for synchronisation they sure got our best in mind. Gmail regularly tries to lock me out of my own accounts to nudge me to give them a phone number or just something pleaaaaaaaaaase tell us something about you :(

I wouldn't be too worried, I'm sure they already know it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38877 on: August 22, 2020, 11:51:49 am »

They already know it, because they ran a comparison to a database they are not legally allowed to use for profit or resale, but if you would just kindly confirm it, then they could have it from a different source, so they can get on with the business of selling it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38878 on: August 23, 2020, 10:14:21 am »

Looking for a source on something else, I came across "Remarks [at the] Council for National Policy meeting".

Reads like the loud guy who climbed on the table at a frat-house kegger, only longer. But apparently official government business.  No, not surprised.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38879 on: August 23, 2020, 10:35:05 am »

Looking for a source on something else, I came across "Remarks [at the] Council for National Policy meeting".

Reads like the loud guy who climbed on the table at a frat-house kegger, only longer. But apparently official government business.  No, not surprised.

Trump's boasting about cutting red tape for infrastructure, specifically highways. But that's the old infrastructure. The deal here is that you can't eke any more productivity gains by just building or rebuilding the previous generation of infrastructure. You have to invest in new infrastructure that shifts the paradigm.

Just adding more roads are specifically limited by things like Braess's paradox. I'd argue that these sorts of negatives start to outweigh any positives the more you're trying to use them to push productivity past specific limits. Boasting of a fast time to approve extra roads sounds like something that would be rife with corruption opportunities, bad planning and only make other problems worse. Roads especially are things which need careful planning before deciding to put more in, or more usefully, rip a few old ones up. Fast-tracking planning means developers giving kickbacks to local politicians with promises of higher capacity to communities which are strangled with traffic bottlenecks. More roads is not in fact the answer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:51:20 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 3566