Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227689 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38850 on: August 21, 2020, 12:32:58 am »

You would think she would be happy, since the king of hearts called for the tarts, and vowed the knave would pay.

She a pimp, tho.

The correct term is MADAM.   (Or, as I understand is culturally correct, "Ma'am")
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:48:00 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38851 on: August 21, 2020, 08:28:43 am »

It looks like the pundits were right when they said Trump hammering on how Biden can't string two sentences together was going to backfire. Even Fox pundits are saying Biden was surprisingly lucid, all as a result of Trump lowering the bar so much.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38852 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:01 am »

The president sure does like throwing stones in his glass house, huh?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38853 on: August 21, 2020, 09:14:55 am »

It is said that in the trump tribe the children do not eat until they have hit a glass house with a stone from 200 yards
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38854 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:07 am »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/coronavirus-exposed-teachers-could-stay-in-classrooms-under-new-fed-guidance/

So I reckon teachers are now considered 'essential workers'.  I'm pretty sure some people will get the bright idea that coming into work without obvious symptoms is mandatory.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38855 on: August 21, 2020, 11:56:41 am »

My dad was convinced this meant that more schools would be forced bring the students back, but I talked with my housemate (a school custodian) about it and seems not.  Many grade schools in my state are still working online, and that doesn't appear to change under this.  I would reason that this primarily impacts teachers stuck in the districts which ARE open.

My dad and I also shared a laugh about this improving teacher renumeration.  He was a high school teacher for a while, and often talks about the current unionization efforts... ah, I get it, this is union-busting.  Naturally.  So in that way it does affect all the teachers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38856 on: August 21, 2020, 12:28:08 pm »

As a parent who wants my children - and your children, too - to have a good education I do feel that teachers are essential workers.

I don't know how to convince the general public to fork over more tax dollars and/or hold school administration more accountable to ensure money is spent on teachers and not just on fancy buildings or NCLB compliance or whatever.

We definitely give teachers the short end of the stick.  And now they are stuck in an ever more difficult spot.  They need to be given support in this time of madness, just like everyone else. Give them options, don't just decree they have to lead an in-person class and punish them if they don't.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #38857 on: August 21, 2020, 12:54:48 pm »

@Rolan7 In what way is teachers being considered essential workers ”union-busting”. Wouldn’t that kind of federal recognition be a helpful card for the union to play?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38858 on: August 21, 2020, 01:04:12 pm »

My understanding is that "essential workers" lose the ability to strike.  That's been an issue for teachers for many years:  People argue that they're too vital to be allowed the right to withhold their labor.

It paradoxically weakens the workers' bargaining position by declaring them too vital to have a choice in the matter.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38859 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:14 pm »

Because it means you can be legally ordered back to work, which limits opportunities for job action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38860 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:46 pm »

Teachers have it even worse than that in some places - at least a couple of states inflict massive fines for losing their job outside a contract renewal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38861 on: August 21, 2020, 01:07:16 pm »

The president sure does like throwing stones in his glass house, huh?

There is not a single complaint he makes about anyone else that he himself is not guilty of.  It's part of the fatigue measures, convince people that everyone is guilty of everything, instead of it just being you.  Sure, he stole a ridiculous amount of money, but one of 2000 democrats did something that's vaguely related to it, so they're equal.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38862 on: August 21, 2020, 01:44:07 pm »

Teachers striking think they are striking against their administration, but they are really striking against all of society.  So as society we have to understand how to help them and keep ourselves an educated society - otherwise we really will collapse.

I think it's messed up that the "essential worker" label means you can't strike - that's unjust.  I naively thought "essential worker" meant something like guaranteed hazard pay and protections against being fired if you choose not to put yourself in danger.  Leave it to the powers that be to turn what should be a positive term into something misleading.  Essential worker should be something positive - it shouldn't be something that can be used against you...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38863 on: August 21, 2020, 04:06:03 pm »

Somewhat related:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38864 on: August 21, 2020, 04:17:02 pm »

Perhaps the most arbitrarily cruel aspect of California's slave firefighters other than the fact itself is that Californian law makes it illegal for them to become firefighters if they get released from prison.

"Thanks for the free labor, now go steal some bread so we can three strikes you and keep you for life."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 3566