Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2579 2580 [2581] 2582 2583 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224174 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38700 on: August 15, 2020, 05:24:53 pm »

Seems the NYPD embraced trump. Sadly, there is also a movement not yet noticed by the media that there are many in the military siding with trump too and sending their support to him. I know its facebook, but there are multiple military facebook groups that are lying on the polls about voting for biden but actually voting for trump so they can screw the polls up for the november elections. While the groups may be fake, looking through at least some of them seem legit.

The US military and NYPD and any other government force, especially those who are armed need to be disbanded and disarmed. There is no point in the US military anyway except to terrorize the world, especially in the middle east where they do and did vastly more harm than anything else. While my family didn't lose any family luckily, my family members that came from middle east knew quite a lot of families that lost their loved ones because of the military. And in 2020, there is no reason to have such an armed military anyway. The US military is the biggest source of guns in the US and the biggest cause of death in the world. Especially since many within the military are racist and many within the ranks are siding with trump.

Hopefully the media catches onto it, because it looks those within the military are actively degrading democracy, that is treason in our own military.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38701 on: August 15, 2020, 05:27:15 pm »

Hopefully the media catches onto it, because it looks those within the military are actively degrading democracy, that is treason in our own military.
Whoa whoa whoa, I do need to stop you there. Lying on polls isn't "degrading democracy" or "treason". It's your right. I do it all the time!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38702 on: August 15, 2020, 05:29:20 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, I do need to stop you there. Lying on polls isn't "degrading democracy" or "treason". It's your right. I do it all the time!

Well, I think it is, but I can't tell if this was in jest or not in your post hard to tell with text.

But simply siding with trump should be treason enough to be fair, especially when one is in the government or military. But that is probably a whole nother topic

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38703 on: August 15, 2020, 05:33:12 pm »

3 dead trolls - The privacy song
I don't know if supporting the sitting president is treason, despite him being treasonous himself.  The real question is what the Lawful-neutral civil servants such as secret service will do the INSTANT he tries to stay in office past his term.
Whereas the military hates his guts, for a supposed Republican.  Even before he started his crusade against mail-in voting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38704 on: August 15, 2020, 05:51:59 pm »

3 dead trolls - The privacy song
I don't know if supporting the sitting president is treason, despite him being treasonous himself.  The real question is what the Lawful-neutral civil servants such as secret service will do the INSTANT he tries to stay in office past his term.
Whereas the military hates his guts, for a supposed Republican.  Even before he started his crusade against mail-in voting.

Well, it isn't really. But whoever still supports him, after the near avalanche of information...I just don't know what to say or how someone can willingly support that. Though supporting certain evil people in history has been found as a crime, unless it wasn't so much the supporting, but of the actions done to support that person. Still...I have no idea how one would be able to vote for trump after so much has come out against him. I guess "fake news" and not believing it, but there have been many close to him that quit or got fired and they never have anything good to say.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38705 on: August 15, 2020, 06:45:28 pm »

Well, I think it is, but I can't tell if this was in jest or not in your post hard to tell with text.
I'm completely serious. I always lie on polls. Nobody has a moral right to my answers.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38706 on: August 15, 2020, 06:48:44 pm »

but you're not part of a conspiracy to overthrow the government. If any sort of lying could be shown to be directly tied to a plot against the government and they could prove who lied, that's well within the definition of treason.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38707 on: August 15, 2020, 06:52:56 pm »

but you're not part of a conspiracy to overthrow the government. If any sort of lying could be shown to be directly tied to a plot against the government and they could prove who lied, that's well within the definition of treason.
I actually firmly disagree, as treason is specifically defined in the US Constitution as taking up arms against the United States or giving aid and comfort to its enemies. Historians agree that there was a clear effort to choose a narrow definition of treason to prevent it from being stretched in exactly this way.

And no, Trump or Trump supporters are not "its enemies" either. It needs to be enemies in actual declared war, not ideological enemies.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38708 on: August 15, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »

The plot itself is the crime. You don't have to have fired a shot, just planned to. The acts in preparation are a crime by intent to do so.

Trump isn't an enemy - yet. If the goal is to usurp power from the constitutionally mandated leader then that's a coup now, whether or not the guy is the current president, hence it's treason.

You just have to give "aid or comfort" to a plot for the full treason charge to apply. Aid could include lying to a third party. Just knowing about the plot is automatically "Misprision of treason" too, and you'd be guilty of rebellion and seditious conspiracy too.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter115&edition=prelim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:00:21 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38709 on: August 15, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »

The plot itself is the crime. You don't have to have fired a shot, just planned to. The acts in preparation are a crime by intent to do so.
You misunderstand. That is the case in many countries, but in the United States, the Constitution specifically defines treason by a narrower proscription. I could, right now, go out and hire people to help me overthrow the government, and it would not be treason. We could even execute the plan, as long as it didn't involve "levying war against the United States", and it would not be treason.

To be clear, in the United States, unlike most countries, assassinating the President isn't even an act of treason. It's still a crime, but it is not treason. You could literally kill everyone in the government without committing treason if you do it right.
Again, plotting against the government doesn't make you its 'enemy' in the applicable sense. The United States would have to be in a state of declared war with you first. This is all settled Supreme Court precedent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:03:47 pm by Maximum Spin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38710 on: August 15, 2020, 07:13:13 pm »

Yeah you're right there, I looked it up. Treason hangs on the word enemies.

However, i think they could still apply other crimes on the list. Specifically §2383. Rebellion or insurrection, §2384. Seditious conspiracy or §2385. Advocating overthrow of Government.

These ones don't contain the wording about enemies. If you were actually involved in rigging a poll as psyops in order to facilitate a "and then we move" action that overturns the constitutional order then they can in fact totally charge you for that.

So it's not like it's "oops there's a loophole in the treason law and you can totally plot to overthrow the government". They did think of that. They can charge you under terms like insurrection, sedition, conspiracy or advocating overthrow. These are the legal terms. In normal parlance most people wouldn't know the difference between these terms and treason. Sedition especially, most people would in fact say treason for that, but it does cover "treasonous" (in the vernacular) acts not covered by the section on Treason.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:18:40 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38711 on: August 15, 2020, 07:16:24 pm »

Yo, easy peasy, forcibly staying in office past your term would be sedition.

To oppose by force the authority of the United States government; to prevent, hinder, or delay by force the execution of any law of the United States

To take, seize, or possess by force any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof.

You ain't the President anymore by law. You try and delay or force this, that's sedition by definition one. You try and occupy the White House, that's definition two.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38712 on: August 15, 2020, 07:20:29 pm »

It's almost as if they already noticed the loophole in the definition of treason and made the following sections to cover those. Spooky.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38713 on: August 15, 2020, 07:22:12 pm »

So it's not like it's "oops there's a loophole in the treason law and you can totally plot to overthrow the government".
I didn't say that? You said it would be "well within the definition of treason" and I said "it isn't treason", that's all. Yes, there are other crimes, obviously.

Yo, easy peasy, forcibly staying in office past your term would be sedition.

To oppose by force the authority of the United States government; to prevent, hinder, or delay by force the execution of any law of the United States

To take, seize, or possess by force any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof.

You ain't the President anymore by law. You try and delay or force this, that's sedition by definition one. You try and occupy the White House, that's definition two.
This is totally unrelated/irrelevant, because, as mentioned, nobody said it WASN'T a crime... but I wanted to throw out there that it's baffling to me that anyone thinks there's a realistic chance of this actually happening. I mean, I fully expect Trump to YELL A LOT, but even if he briefly contemplates this, he's going to fold once someone points out it would involve a lot of guns pointed at him and nobody would keep doing what he told them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38714 on: August 15, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »

I'm not saying it will now, but you need to be aware that any time that bad shit happens in history you have people saying the exact same thing, scoffing how it could never happen.

The thing that makes it less likely however is that Trump hasn't fired all the generals and put his buddies in charge of the army or anything like that.
Pages: 1 ... 2579 2580 [2581] 2582 2583 ... 3566