Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2551 2552 [2553] 2554 2555 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224131 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38280 on: July 29, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »

Book cooking is a complicated game at times, but their objective is to control the main narrative, not eliminate all doubt.

While I fully expect that the Trump admin will attempt a cookery, I know some states are seeing a small lull in the curve, most likely due to increased awareness. Georgia's state level graph took a break the past day or so.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38281 on: July 29, 2020, 03:42:01 pm »

According to the international World Health Organization, nationally the United States is experiencing a plateau in the number of new COVID-19 cases each day.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38282 on: July 29, 2020, 04:56:29 pm »

So a constant rate of change, but the amount of cases is still going up?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38283 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:10 pm »

That's more or less correct, as far as I'm aware, but I'm not an expert.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38284 on: July 29, 2020, 05:33:49 pm »

I'm wondering if there has ever been a case of an element or simple molecule having a pharmacological effect on a pathogen.

Some of the more radioactive ones, certainly.

Are salt simple molecules? I think salt is anti-bacterial. Or is it just because it dries stuff out?

Yes to both questions. It would do similar to any of us if we were surrounded by more salt than we have body mass.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38285 on: July 29, 2020, 05:38:24 pm »

I think we have a better barrier than microbes do - people in salt mines aren't annihilated.

...as far as I know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38286 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:53 pm »

I mean if the mine collapsed...

Though I think direct contact with large amounts is whats needed and not so much salt dust.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38287 on: July 29, 2020, 05:41:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:33:39 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38288 on: July 29, 2020, 05:43:47 pm »

I remember people could inflict third-degree chemical burns on themselves doing the salt-and-ice challenge. Maybe it's wet salt that causes it?

I know people sometimes use old salt mines to store film because it'll annihilate even the slightest air moisture. That's where some of the lost footage from Event Horizon was discovered.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38289 on: July 29, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »

I think we have a better barrier than microbes do - people in salt mines aren't annihilated.

...as far as I know.

We have a better surface area to volume ratio for surviving it, and most miners don't work naked while encased in salt. It's generally not great long-term, though.

I remember people could inflict third-degree chemical burns on themselves doing the salt-and-ice challenge. Maybe it's wet salt that causes it?

I know people sometimes use old salt mines to store film because it'll annihilate even the slightest air moisture. That's where some of the lost footage from Event Horizon was discovered.

Dry salt becomes wet when it leaches the moisture from your body, but if you want to get it rolling a bit faster for some reason, adding water would accomplish that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38290 on: July 29, 2020, 06:16:26 pm »

Though yeah, there's plenty of simple molecules or elements that have a pharmacological effect. It's never been difficult to find stuff that has an effect.

The eternal trick is finding an effect that doesn't also omnifuck the human it's introduced into. Lot of stuff that will kill a virus also cheerfully kills anything human-bits related, too...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38291 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:46 pm »

Dry salt becomes wet when it leaches the moisture from your body, but if you want to get it rolling a bit faster for some reason, adding water would accomplish that.

Wisdom of the day right here
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38292 on: July 29, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »

"I can't help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, I might have put some germs - some virus - on to the mask and breathed it in," [anti-mask Texas congressman Louie Gohmert] told Texas station KETK.

What are the chances, eh? You avoid the dangers of the things as much as possible, and in probably the one time you risked it, you catch the dreaded lurgi...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38293 on: July 29, 2020, 06:49:03 pm »

Somewhat unrelated, but there's a nuclear waste deposit site in a pocket of salt underground. It's just about the ideal place to store it as salt basically won't react to nuclear radiation, and there's no water around for isotopes to slip out in.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38294 on: July 29, 2020, 08:17:54 pm »

Until some humans come along and dig up the tasty salt.
Pages: 1 ... 2551 2552 [2553] 2554 2555 ... 3566