Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2547 2548 [2549] 2550 2551 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223426 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38220 on: July 28, 2020, 01:38:00 am »

Thought this one deserved mention:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/tax/treasurer-slammed-after-mans-home-was-seized-over-11-tax-debt/news-story/0cc063db9c89480e05e679e4f7f091e6

A brutal US tax enforcement scheme is under fire after an elderly man lost his home due to an accidental tax debt of just $11.

Uri Rafaeli, who is in his 80s, purchased a three-bedroom rental home in Michigan in 2011 to help fund his retirement.

But while he believed he had paid his property taxes in full, according to Forbes, he received a notice in 2012 that he had underpaid by $US496

He soon repaid that debt – but miscalculated the interest owed, meaning he was still short by $US8.41

That was all it took for Oakland County to take over the home and put it on the market.

However, reading further it isn't all bad news:
Now, the bizarre case is making headlines once again after the Michigan Supreme Court criticised the county’s decision to seize Mr Rafaeli’s home.

Earlier in July, it found that while the county did have the right to take over Mr Rafaeli’s house to recover the debt, it was not entitled to hold on to the full value of the property.

So he and others sound like they're now able to sue the county to get the excess money back.

Oakland County commissioners have also contacted Treasurer Andrew Meisner to inform him they were creating a new investigative committee to examine the forfeiture practices.

“It appears your actions as Treasurer to foreclose on an Oakland County retiree’s property for $8.41 has exposed the county to serious risk,” the letter reads, according to The Detroit News.
The county sounds like it has a solution, which is find someone else for them to sue.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:46:26 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38221 on: July 28, 2020, 05:14:36 am »

And there I thought that The Dukes Of Hazzard was just cars jumping creeks as an entertaining cars-jumping-creeks action-comedy with completely fictional corrupt local government forcing their fictional corrupt police to chase cars that jump over creeks to sieze any cars that can jump creeks to hasten foreclosure of the properties where the cars and jumped creeks are. With added creeks and (mostly) jumping cars.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38222 on: July 28, 2020, 12:19:49 pm »

A Republican campaign has been called out for putting up an ad with the faces of Jewish Democrats, but they edited the nose of one of them to be significantly bigger.
https://forward.com/news/national/451581/jon-ossoff-jewish-nose-david-perdue-antisemitic/

Sadly, it's at the point where "ruling party candidate turns Jewish opposition members into antisemitic caricatures" just warrants a shrug of the shoulders.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38223 on: July 28, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »

Now for the Democrats to release response ads with all the Republicans having photoshopped toothbrush mustaches.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38224 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:20 pm »

Sorry, but as the President confirmed on twitter it's illegal to call Republicans fascists.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38225 on: July 28, 2020, 01:52:34 pm »

Sorry, but as the President confirmed on twitter it's illegal to call Republicans fascists.

Can you link me to the tweet you're referring to?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38226 on: July 28, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »

I  believe its a reference (loosely parsed, but implied as "I wish it were" in his head) to:
So disgusting to watch Twitter’s so-called “Trending”, where sooo many trends are about me, and never a good one. They look for anything they can find, make it as bad as possible, and blow it up, trying to make it trend. Really ridiculous, illegal, and, of course, very unfair!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38227 on: July 28, 2020, 02:40:22 pm »

Apparently Trump got banned and then unbanned from Twitter earlier today for saying masks were a hoax? Even though he wears the hoax mask?

Slightly more surreal than usual.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38228 on: July 28, 2020, 02:40:44 pm »

That was sarcasm from MSH there. Googling got me this one:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article129883024.html

One lesson, led by an English teacher who has a personal political blog, began with the teacher asking students to identify themselves as Republican or Democrat with a show of hands. He then went through points outlined in a handout titled “Political Philosophies” that compares liberals to conservatives.

One section of the handout states that Democrats are “soft on crime” and “against private firearm ownership.” Republicans were described “hard on criminals, firearm ownership is a right, individual responsibility/enforce the law.”

“During the handout discussion, [the teacher] referenced topics that are irrelevant to bipartisan politics such as, ‘the past eight years administration increasing debt’ and the ‘wall that Mexico will pay for.’ ” the parent said. “At the end of class [the teacher] asked if any of the students still identified with the Democratic party after discussing the handout ‘philosophies.’ ”

During the same student’s World History class, another teacher’s presentation on “Revolution and Nationalism” included a slide with an image of Hillary Clinton wearing a Nazi swastika armband and facial hair similar to that of Adolf Hitler.

Actually it was more like Hillary in a full Hitler costume that just the armband.

The scary part is how close these tactics are to actual Nazi era indoctrination.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:45:52 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38229 on: July 28, 2020, 03:04:11 pm »

Apparently Trump got banned and then unbanned from Twitter earlier today for saying masks were a hoax? Even though he wears the hoax mask?

Slightly more surreal than usual.
I think it was Donald Jr who was Read-Only for 12 hours due to some infringement (maybe masks, definitely "misleading information about COVID"), while one of Senior's retweets of a video of 'doctors' (apparently at least some of them are MDs, but that includes one who thinks her patients' problems come from having sexual intercourse with demons, so there's obviously a low bar to cross/stay-crossed-over) with HCQ fantasies was actually removed (but not before loads of fans of that old chestnut were complaining that FB had already deleted their example of the post).

I believe that at this point I have completely lost the whole sofa down the back of which I'd already long ago lost any semblence of respect for the First Family.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38230 on: July 28, 2020, 03:23:20 pm »

The fact that they're removing the tweets about HCQ is all the proof you need to know that it really works. Who's benefiting from the suppression of this information? #followthewhiterabbit #maga #trump2020 #thestorm #greatawakening #qanon

EDIT: I made that argument up but it turns out that the real posts are equally circular in logic. One #followthewhiterabbit post goes basically: "if HCQ worked, then we wouldn't need the vaccine. Notice how the same people saying HCQ doesn't work are the ones saying we need the vaccine? Coincidence?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:30:22 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38231 on: July 28, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »

I of course forgot to say that it was only ?yesterday? he Tweeted, about being censored by Twitter. I wouldn't put it past him (or whoever is shispering in his ear) to clearly provoke such actions to prove himself right. As he apparently couldn't make true the suggestion (by himself) that he was going to do a First Pitch in a game next month, etc...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38232 on: July 28, 2020, 03:34:17 pm »

If not for the fact that it'd impact a bunch of lupus and malaria patients, I'd advocate just giving these people HCQ at this point. Let nature take its course through advanced pharma-sociological methods.

Speaking of sports, it looks like MLB took one step out the gate and collapsed recently.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38233 on: July 28, 2020, 03:37:04 pm »

Why? It's just a placebo (at best) anyway.  Just give them a filled order of cebocaps and call it a day.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38234 on: July 28, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »

Tell them to take regular chloroquine (fish tank cleaner). If they say it's different, say to them "that's just what they want you to think, so they can jack up the price".
Pages: 1 ... 2547 2548 [2549] 2550 2551 ... 3566