Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2544 2545 [2546] 2547 2548 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223389 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38175 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:46 pm »

Posting this for its uniqueness as a more-or-less-conservative-op-ed on the current situation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/507984-for-the-left-its-not-just-a-presidential-election-its-a-total-takeover

It's so far into conspiracy theory territory, I don't know what even; but still interesting to read, if just to scratch my head and go "Is that what they really perceive?"

Best piece of satire that I have read for some time.

Massive cognitive dissonance (head hurts) experienced from understanding (contextually) that it was not intended to be satire... but it's got to be, right?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38176 on: July 20, 2020, 08:38:05 pm »

I see the author is Conrad Black. Convicted felon and fraudster Conrad Black. The guy got a pardon for his crimes from Trump and he's repaying the debt.

Apparently inheriting millions of dollars wasn't enough so he also embezzled money from companies he was put in charge of. He has a huge vested interest in keeping Trump in control since there could still be the possibility that he faces criminal charges for this, that and the other, which is much less likely while his (very similar to himself) crony occupies the White House.

Conrad Black is the classic old money conservative who is only conservative as far as it helps preserve his shady business practices and ill-gotten gains.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:44:07 pm by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38177 on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:25 am »

Currently looking at my choices for some local positions in the upcoming election.

There are only republicans running.

So the choice, as far as I can tell is between the republican that says stuff I don't really agree with but seems to be focusing on issues that are more or less non-partisan and agreeable as his campaign platform and as a person seems at least somewhere close to human. Or the republican who pays lip service to stuff I somewhat agree with but has a history of doing favors for his rich buddies and is generally a disgusting person overall.

It's a difficult decision.

Also to note, those aren't the only two choices, but they're the only two choices I've heard anything about, seen any signs for at all, and the only choices I can find any sort of info on at all online.

If you're going through the trouble to get your name on a ballot, at least get a god damned website set up. I don't even care if it's a generic template blog site. Just put something out there to let me know you exist and have opinions. The local paper apparently when they were running bios on the candidates couldn't even get in touch with anyone but the two previously mentioned to answer questions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38178 on: July 23, 2020, 11:40:43 am »

This is gonna be some more Norwanking, but I feel compelled to mention it...

Last city council election we had here was the first time I've actually partaken in voting for such. And it was great! The major news networks put up lists on their websites of the various candidates running and give a brief bio on them, and then you can take a political alignment quiz that the politicians themselves have taken, where salient topics are brought up and you answer with how much you agree or disagree with the proposed action. Some of the candidates even put in their reasoning behind particular agree/disagree answers, so you can see what their thought process was when giving that answer. Then it calculates out which candidates you were most aligned with in your answers, and gives a percentage match for each.

One of the people I ended up voting for was some gal I had never heard of before in a party I don't fully align with, but she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and provided some sensible reasoning behind a few of the answers she'd given in that quiz.

...and then the voting process itself is also remarkably painless. I think I spent maybe 30 minutes from standing in line to walking out finished, but I did pick a less-busy hour to get my voting done.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38179 on: July 23, 2020, 11:43:29 am »

Hehe

Norwank
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38180 on: July 23, 2020, 02:21:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38181 on: July 23, 2020, 02:44:43 pm »

Democrats be like "We strongly condemn Republicans doing a fascism, but we also believe what the country needs right now is unity and compromise to heal the political divide.  This is why we're voting in favor of the Expand Funding for Fascism Bill.  Remember to vote for us in November.  It's the only way to stop the Republicans!  Especially you progressive fucks.  No compromise for you!  GTFO out of our political process!  But vote for us or it's your fault when they do a fascism!"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:06:37 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38182 on: July 23, 2020, 07:00:46 pm »

The only way to stop a bad guy with a fascism is a good guy with a fascism.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38183 on: July 23, 2020, 07:15:35 pm »

Or just let them give them everything they ask for and allow them to invade places in the hope they stop asking or invading oh look they haven’t stopped looks like we have to go to war for 6 years
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38184 on: July 24, 2020, 01:05:15 am »

...I seem to recall saying exactly this a few months ago, although my version had a few more ellipses.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38185 on: July 24, 2020, 08:04:35 am »

Or just let them give them everything they ask for and allow them to invade places in the hope they stop asking or invading oh look they haven’t stopped looks like we have to go to war for 6 years

When's the last time we got out of a war that fast?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38186 on: July 24, 2020, 08:25:12 am »

The Second Seminole War?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38187 on: July 24, 2020, 09:43:11 am »

WW2?

But wait, you fought the fascists then, that's different then.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38188 on: July 24, 2020, 10:49:31 am »

I was referring to the lead up to WWII with my facetiousness, specifically the policy of appeasement.

While I fear I may be missing the point of the comments, are there any good fascists?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38189 on: July 24, 2020, 10:55:31 am »

Not unless the “nation” refers to all of humanity, and the “dictator” actually cares for the interests of all humans, not power, so, the brutal suppression of opposition would be a no.

Imagine if everyone elects the human who cares for every human as the dictator, and that dictator makes decisions to benefit all of humanity. When that dictator dies, everyone convenes you’re determine who would be the best fit to lead humanity. Does this make sense at all? It is very likely this won’t be viable any time soon, given how power tends to make people lose sight of their original reasons they got power...
Pages: 1 ... 2544 2545 [2546] 2547 2548 ... 3566